GA-P35-DS3L & E2160 Overclocking

WMBlalock

Limp Gawd
Alright, well it's been a few years since I played with overclocking and I just ordered a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard and a Pentium E2160 CPU. I see people getting those processors up to 3.4ghz and beyond, my goal is just to run it somewhere around 3ghz, rock solid, with no voltage adjustment on the stock cooler forever. I will have 2x2GB (4GB) sticks of A-Data DDR2-800 Memory. Is there anything special I should know or is it pretty much that I just go in an adjust up the FSB until I get what i want? Are the multipliers locked on these processors? Any other info I should know would be greatly appreciated! The last time I overclocked was my Athlon XP 1700+ up to 3200+ speeds years ago, so that tells ya how long it's been since I have played around with it! Thanks guys!
- Mike

Multiplier locked.
Simply adjust the FSB until you get the desired frequency( beware that over 3GHz there maybe necesary some vcore adjustments).
CTRL+F1 for extended bios settings(RAM latencies).
In my sig is my 24/7 fully stable E2140. Max freq with it was: 3.42GHz.

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. Yeah, thats why I wanna try to get around 3ghz and stay there, I don't want to increase the vcore any, so hopefully the CPU I get will like 3ghz with no vcore adjustment and stock cooling. Also, are the memory speed and FSB speeds locked together? If not, should you run them the same for stability reasons? I bought DDR2-800 and would like to get stock speed out of it, but with a multiplier of 9 on the cpu I will need to run the FSB around 333mhz to get it to the 3ghz I want, and not the 400mhz it's rated for. And the last thing I was wondering.. what is a memory divider and do I need to have anything to do with it?
- Mike

You have a multiplier for the CPU of 9. So for 3GHz you will need 9x333.
The frequency at which the memory is working can be selected with a memory multiplier. If i remember correctly at this board you can choose from 2,2.4 and so on.
So if you choose 2 as a multiplier for the ram it will work at 2x333, with 2.4 it will work at 2.4x333. The best case scenario requires the ram to run 1:1 with the cpu.

Awesome, thanks for the help man. If it has the option, I'll try it at 2.4x333 = 799 (closest to 800mhz rating) and I'll compare benchmarks to running it the same speed as the CPU fsb and see which is faster yet still completely stable!

Back