EvilAlchemist Interview — HARD DC'er of the Month — February 2008

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Evil Alchemist Interview — HARD DC'er of the Month — February 2008

Please join me in congratulating EvilAlchemist for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for February of 2008. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,267 active folders. EvilAlchemist is currently ranked #341 on our team, and he has almost 400,000 points. In February of 2008 he produced about 290,000 points. He is ranked #5,862 in the world. This is quite an achievement since he started folding for Team #33 in January of 2008.

He has no one on his threats list... no one set to overtake him. (I am always shocked when I see that. I always seem to have a bunch of people on my threat list.) And he is progressing up the ranks of our team. Within one month he will jump up to spot #192 on our team.

stats link for Evil Alchemist:

link

EvilAlchemist folded for two other teams before he found a home here at the [H]orde. He earned a total of 160,000 points for the other two teams.

I had a nice chat with EvilAlchemist via telephone. He offers to help anyone in need here at the forums, or via PM and cell phone. He has some big plans for the future... new cases, new dual socket motherboards, and lots of quads.

Basic Information:

How many boxen do you have?

I have 8 Boxen and 0 borged. All 8 of my systems are in my apartment.

EvilAlchemist's Complete Farm Setup

That is a nice farm, and some nice pictures. Thanks for posting your setup.

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

In 2003, I had two roommates, all of us working for CompUSA in Brentwood, Tennessee. One day, I saw this funny screen saver on his computer and asked him what it was about. After about 10 minutes I was trying to install it on my computer.

On 1-1-2004, I turned in my first work unit for Team 13854 [G] (Genmay group that left HardOCP several years ago). I had setup three Athlon XP 2200+ boxen in my room and they ran for about a year. (Only team I knew about at the time, and my roommtate said “that Kyle guy is evil” and warned me never to go over to Hardocp – Thinking back it was really funny.)

I took a small break and started folding again in late 2007 for Team 70567 (Eggxpert). I enjoyed folding but the team was losing members fast and community support was not there.

After reading the [H] forums for weeks, I decided I wanted to be part of a better team.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

I tured in my first WU on 1-15-2008

What is your average F@H points per month?

Daily is around 15K – so … 450K give or take a few K

Did you contribute to United Devices?

Nope.

How about WCG?

Nope.

Any other DC projects?

Before Folding@Home, I was very active in Seti@Home for over 2 years. I had every system at Compusa borged and running 24/7.

Name:

Michael Haywood

Spring Hill, Tennessee

Telephone number:

I have a cell phone. If you need help, PM me and I will be glad to talk you through a problem if I can.

Law Enforcement

Hobbies:

Folding@Home, music, going to the firing Range, MMORPG (Well, Loved SWG but that is gone now), Rolling Rock (Beer)

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

EvilAlchemist – has really no meaning. I just picked it several years ago and like the way is sounds.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

I have a few … will get that to you soon.

Signature:

“So you wanna fold .... okay ... start with the towels!”

Nickname:

Awesome-O .... ;-)

Is that really your nickname?

802_image_07.jpg

Is there another picture we can post that might be more accurate?

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

It feels good. Glad to know I am able to help a few members.

Why do you think you were chosen?

Beats me… For some odd reason, some people seem to like me.

I really enjoy helping people and I guess I helped enough to get some votes or I was kicking out enough PPD that members figured “If we elect EvilAlchemist in February, we can forget about him for a year and win ourselves.”

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

I think it is an excellent goal. Besides if I don’t spend the $$$, the G/F will ……

Why do you DC for the [H]ard [H]orde at [H]ard OCP?

I really enjoy the community attitude and help from all the members. Feels great to be part of such a wonderful team.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

I have no idea what might surprise them. I think the only true way to be surprised is to go to Google and type in random things and see what you come up with.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

I hope I can continue to produce some good PPD as well as help others get their rigs up and running. I am hoping that once I get a house in two years, I can start work on a server rack and carry my folding to the next level. I will be needing some help at that time and will be looking to the community to assist.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I have not borged any systems.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I hope the [H] community will continue to grow. I think we have a good foundation and will only get better with time.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

Not at this time.

Where did you come from? I mean, well... you have been with the [H]ard [H]orde for less than sixty days... and here you are, [H]ard DC'er for the month for February 2008! Where were you before you decided to hang out at the [H]ardest Place in the World, on the Number One Team in the World, with [H]ard Team #33?

I was hiding. lol

Before I started folding for [H], I already had 4 boxen in the house. Most were running at stock speeds and served as my file servers. Since I work nights, the G/F and I download almost all of our favorite TV shows and watch them together.

Once I got back folding, it was easy to ramp those systems up and then expanded the farm.

I really like the fact that this team cares about it's members and there are no insults being thrown around, unless joking.

Back when I folded for my first team, if someone did not like what you said or wanted to make you look bad, they would say “Shut up, you are just an 11K” (User Reg Number on [G]). It was 100% pointless and was a waste of a reply. Glad those days are over. Really glad I found the [H] and planning on staying here a very long time!

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I accept Cash, Check, or Visa Cards ...... Donations to be made to the "Help Evil beat FLECOM fund"

If I ever do put a server rack in my new house, the day of reckoning will be at hand!

Did I forget to ask you anything?

I think you asked enough so far ....

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it.

Keep on folding!

Fold on For The Cure!

For the [H]orde!

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC'er of the month.

.:D

Nice interview, and just wanted to say congratulations again... well deserved. Thanks for all your your help Michael, it's really nice to have guys like you around here:)

All I can say is don't be sitting on your laurels as I'm coming for you whether you know it or not. I will get you damnit. :D I should say I'm coming for you via PPD. You still have a nice long way to catch up to me.

Oh yeah, I guess I should say something about congrats.:cool:

I have been at this almost 3 years and you started 6 weeks ago and your gonna pass me in less than a month..I must be doing it wrong..

Good work bro...fold on..:)

Nice interview. Congratulations to you, sounds like you have many plans for the future, big ones at that as well :D So do I but I'm just much more pathetic so don't mind me when you pass me.

Congrats Evil, and a great interview. Hard to believe that you've only been here for such a short time considering the contributions you've already made to the team.

LOL @ Borging all of CompUSA, good call. Too bad they went out of business. Before I could drive it was a treat to drop me off there just to look around.

Anyway I voted for ya-way to go

Congrats and keep up the good work. It gives me all the more reason to expand my efforts :)

Going after Felcom..... Next he will be saying that he is going after the Default team ;p

Congrats, well deserved.

Going after Felcom..... Next he will be saying that he is going after the Default team ;p

Maybe he can blackmail suspects into borging their computers for him?

This would have a 2 fold effect of getting him to work a bit harder at work, and add to his PPD/

Great interview with interesting answers :D

Congratulations for winning the award and we are thankful for your big help around. Your comment about [G] and the attitude is a prime example why we are the best. We respect everyone no matter how much they fold and we love to do smack talking instead (no offense, Jon855) ;)

Back