680i, 780i MB, File Corruption

Bunkey

Weaksauce
I am at my wits end on this issue. In early Nov.'07 I built a system with the Abit IN9-32X Max 680i motherboard. Updated the BIOS to version 13, right after install, but didn't know enough about saving the BIOS or clearing the CMOS and saving, after any changes to the RAM configuration. Blew out a 1 gig. Crucial Ballistix DIMM, had it replaced, but bought Kingston HyperX 4x1gig SLI Ready, same as previous Crucial. I felt my problems with the system were from this issue. Had to do new installs of all drivers and some software and the system seemed to be working right for several days. I bought a second video card XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640 Mb. exactly matching the other card, same model/part number for SLI use, but in Mid Nov. my system fell apart after playing Crysis for several hours without any problems, the first time I was able to do so, on this system. I closed the game and did a shut down of XP Pro and it went to a Blue Screen of Death, BSOD, and the restart got to my desktop and another BSOD, the second restart completed, but error windows were popping up. The next day I worked some hours, doing new installs for various drivers and things seemed to be working right, but when I went to print something, I found the print spooling service of Windows wasn't working and I had no access to any of my printers or fax services. This prompted me to buy a new motherboard, but the cost of the second video card pushed me to the new 780i and I then bought the XFX one, just reviewed here. I did a new fresh install of XP Pro and all my software, just after the 780i was installed. For many days all seemed to work great. I played DarkStar One for three days, several hours a day. The second day there were problems with crashing, but Chkdsk ran during the restart of a system crash and found errors. I ran Chkdsk on all my partitions again, with no errors found. I used the system the next day and things seemed fine and played DarkStar again, but after an hour or two, it started crashing and a system restart had a BSOD and the desktop after had many error pop up windows just like the 680i experience. I don't overclock, other than boosting DDR, RAM, voltage to 2.2 volts and using the SLI Memory Ready option in the BIOS. It is ridiculous to think playing a PC game should corrupt your system files or you have to repair or do a new OS install every couple of weeks. Why don't these 600 and 700 NVidia motherboards work like most other boards? I am thinking, a $100. or under board is less trouble and more reliable. Any help, suggestions will be appreciated.

Post your system specs. What PSU are you using?
Do you suffer "brownouts" in your area or live in a older home with aging wiring?

I hear ya man. I have been running my new rig with the evga 780i. It ran great for about 4 days until it burnt up a crucial ballistix stick of ram, and with it a ram slot.
Ok fine, got some new ram, and tried to continue running this mess.
Another week goes by, and it starts to random bsod over and over. It usually takes about 10 hard restarts until I can get it to boot after a crash. It justs beeps and beeps. Though its rarely the same beep and different error codes are showing too.
When it did boot I found corrupted files and registry on bootup. You can imagine xp didnt last long taking that beating.
I emailed mwave, I dont want this anymore. I paid 250 for this things, when like yo said, a 100 dollar board would run more stable.
I should have listened when people said stay away, but how could EVGA make such an awful board. Especially for the money. I think you get what you pay for. Not this time.

evga doesnt make mainboards. or video cards. or anything else, except for money. nor do they write bios updates, or sabotage dimm slots. my evga780i blue screened alot until i installed update kb40105, and the 4gb hotfix, and the sp1 rc1. then i noticed that dimm slots 2 and 4 worked fine, but 1 and 3 would cause blue screens when both had ram in them. so i am having evga cross ship another 780i board, made by foxconn and designed by nvidia, just like yours. which they are gladly doing with overnight shipping, and they are sending a label to ship back my original board.

I learned an expensive lesson with these new boards, that you must clear the CMOS and save the BIOS settings after, any time you change hardware or memory, RAM. I thought I had a bad DIMM slot, too, when I found the damaged SIMM. But when I loaded the slot after clearing the CMOS and a bootup, then a BIOS save, things were finally working right or, so it seemed until some days later, when the file corruption problem happened. I used the 4X1Gig. until the 680i board was pulled and the Kingston RAM from it, is working fine in the 780i board.
Setup:
Case: Thermaltake Amor VA8000SWA Full Tower, 2 120mm, 2 90 mm fans
PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 850
CPU: Intel QX6850, Core 2 Extreme, cooled by Zalman CNPS8700 LED
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN, PC6400 800 SLI Ready, 4X1Gig.
Video Cards: 2 XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb, PV-T80G-THE4
HD: Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb, SATA
Audio: Creative XFi Faita1ity Gamer
UPS: UPS APC XS 1500 with second battery
MB: XFX 780i, MB-N780-ISH9
Old MB: 680i Abit IN9-32X Max

It is said, SATA HDs were a problem for the 680i, acknowledged by NVidia and the Creative sound card and using all RAM or SIMM slots, but there seems no real support or answers for the problems encountered on these NVidia SLI chipset boards. MB reviews here and elsewhere reveal the reviewers ran into quarks and questions about things discovered in testing and overclocking. But it seems no one has any solid answers about variances in many things, like why the board works for some and not others.

Back