Don't get EVGA's SSC 9600GT

BrandonB

2[H]4U
A lot of people are having issues with the SSC version. Including me, I have owned them for a total of 5 days and I already had to send them to EVGA for replacement. Major artifacting, even at reference speeds. I can't play Oblivion for more than 5 minutes (NOT a heat issue). I heard something about maybe, the SSC version tripping the over voltage circuit and therefor cutting power to the GPU (how accurate this is I have no idea), which would explain the lockups and screen going black (though, the screen has never gone black, just locked my system up).

There are lots of complaints about this on the EVGA forums, but the KO version seem to work just fine. I'd advise staying away from these cards for now.

That's sad.. And here I though sub standard build quality was only limited to EVGA's 680i motherboards.

That's sad.. And here I though sub standard build quality was only limited to EVGA's 680i motherboards.

Errr? My 680i EVGA mobo is the best board I have ever used. No problems whatsoever. It's a reference design issue, not necessarily something EVGA could have foreseen.

Just bought an EVGA 9600GT Superclock for my Girlfriend. I overclocked it to 730 core, and 2000mhz ram, and its been smooth as butter since monday.

COD4
Oblivion
World Of Warcraft
Stalker

No problems with the games above

Evga 4 life

It didnt work in my wifes AMD 3800 X2 machine with DFI Lanparty UT4 MB.Popped it in my Intel Core2duo machine and it works great (650i mb).

Issue on wifes machine was major tearing (especially when running 2 copies of wow at the same time window'd) and eventually the computer would crash.

its a rule of mine not to ever buy an overclocked card on principal alone. they charge you more for something you can do yourself lol,... same card just edited bios

Errr? My 680i EVGA mobo is the best board I have ever used. No problems whatsoever. It's a reference design issue, not necessarily something EVGA could have foreseen.

yea, my 680i is by far the best motherboard i've ever owned!

What is with everyone coming here when they have a bad video card and shunning an entire brand/line?

I'm using that card with zero problems in my secondary system.

its a rule of mine not to ever buy an overclocked card on principal alone. they charge you more for something you can do yourself lol,... same card just edited bios

Im of the opposite camp on that one, I like to buy it ready to go without any experimentation or risk. (Im more of a Buy a "Vette, over a Tuned Honda" kinda guy).

What is with everyone coming here when they have a bad video card and shunning an entire brand/line?

He didn't. He specifically said that it's only the SSC model having the problem, but saying that the KO model is fine. Nothing bad about EVGA itself was said, nor was switching to a different brand recommended.

Im of the opposite camp on that one, I like to buy it ready to go without any experimentation or risk. (Im more of a Buy a "Vette, over a Tuned Honda" kinda guy).

That's another bad car analogy. Tuning(overclocking) a Honda still makes it a Honda. Tuning(overclocking) a 8800GT still makes it a 8800GT, it doesn't transform into a 8800GTX - just like a tuned Honda doesn't turn into a Corvette. So your analogy should be: I don't buy a Honda I have to tune myself, I buy a pre-tuned Honda that is warrantied.

that comparison doesnt even apply here

your buying a vette with a governor not buying a honda and tuning it lmao

all the cards have all the same hardware, my 8800gt's all 3 of them G92 did 700/1750/1000 like the SSC varients or better and they are the stock vanilla varient at 600/1500/940, hardly a honda and a vette since thay all contain the exact same components lmao..............................

same with my 3 stock GTS 512's thay all did 800/2000/1100 or better and they are the stock 650/1680/970 "hondas" not the overclocked "vette" versions LOL

Ok, bad anaology..

The point is, I would rather have a Factory Tuned part with a Guarantee over a DIY situation.. And Im willing to pay a little more for that OC and, hopefully, superior cooling solution.

I didn't. The SSC version is having problems, just look on the EVGA forums your self. I never said EVGA was bad or the 9600GT was bad. I was simply saying; stay away until they fix it.

I just reviewed every page of posts in the 9 series and most of the "9 series problems" are related to other issues just than the card itself... Feel free to look for yourself, there arent any threads that i see about the SSC that scream these cards are overclocked too high.

Or you could just buy a card like EVGA or XFX and save $40... but its your choice.

I just reviewed every page of posts in the 9 series and most of the "9 series problems" are related to other issues just than the card itself... Feel free to look for yourself, there arent any threads that i see about the SSC that scream these cards are overclocked too high.

Ok, I should have said that's not official or anything. BUT, most people that are having problems are owners of the SSC cards, coincidence? I think not! :p

Or you could just buy a card like EVGA or XFX and save $40... but its your choice.

Errr... what?

I didn't. The SSC version is having problems, just look on the EVGA forums your self. I never said EVGA was bad or the 9600GT was bad. I was simply saying; stay away until they fix it.

You can't handle the Truth!

It's not the Card, it's the few who don't do enough homework, to make sure their gear can handle the load. My Asus EN9600GT has been up and running since I plugged it in.
Most of the Problems have been Power Related.

reminds me of the 7900gt's, had a ssc version of that for all of a week lol

You can't handle the Truth!

It's not the Card, it's the few who don't do enough homework, to make sure their gear can handle the load. My Asus EN9600GT has been up and running since I plugged it in.
Most of the Problems have been Power Related.

lol. I'm not an idiot, my PSU is more than adequate. Combined I have 112AMPs on the 4 12v rails and peak wattage is 850 or so (rated at 750). It IS the card, you're telling me someone with a 1KW PSU can't handle an 9600GT SSC?

It IS the card, have you looked at the clocks on the SSC? You're running 650/1800 and the SSC is 740/1950. It's obviously an OC problem, while it only effects SOME SSC cards, I wouldn't buy one just yet.

Ok, I should have said that's not official or anything. BUT, most people that are having problems are owners of the SSC cards, coincidence? I think not! :p

I have yet to get any calls about SSC's not working. If this was a widespread issue i believe i would be getting more calls about it. Also, in the 9 series forum most of the SSC threads are either questions about specs, power, or something non-problem related.

I have yet to get any calls about SSC's not working. If this was a widespread issue i believe i would be getting more calls about it. Also, in the 9 series forum most of the SSC threads are either questions about specs, power, or something non-problem related.

It's really not that widespread of an issue, but it's still there. All those black screen threads I have seen are owners of the SSC. Which leads me to believe there is some kind of issue with the OC on those cards. Do you work with EVGA or something?

Edit: Didn't see your sig until just now.

yeah EVGA is becoming crappier as time goes on. they used to spend all their money on quality control but lately it has become all about marketing and in my opinion this is the result. same thing happened with their special 8800 GT parts.

Just my own research on the forums, there was SEVERAL threads about screens going black for no reason and needing to reboot. IIRC, almost, if not all, were SSC owners.

Could you please link those to me so i can post in them and help them troubleshoot? I dont see any.

That means that you just spend a good amount more on a SLI mobo. So if you have money to spend on a SLI mobo and SLI setup, surely another 60 won't kill you.

Yes it will, just because I have the hardware I have doesn't mean I bought it all at once. I'm working on a budget, I don't have unlimited funds.

To Russian:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=272011

(Doesn't say anything specific about SSC, but I'm pretty sure it is)http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=280280

(Again, doesn't say specifically)http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=275321

That's all I was able to find, but I know for certain that there was a few other threads saying specifically they had an SSC.

I donno, its really strange.

Seems alot of people are looking for the perfect company. Sorry, doesn't exist. QC mishaps happen to everyone once in a while. when alot of people stumble upon one they flip out and switch to another company and claim "no problems since" entirely psychosomatic sometimes as company B is no worse then company A, and certainly if your shifting to Company B where Company A is EVGA, your most likely only going to end up worse off.

I donno, its really strange.

Seems alot of people are looking for the perfect company. Sorry, doesn't exist. QC mishaps happen to everyone once in a while. when alot of people stumble upon one they flip out and switch to another company and claim "no problems since" entirely psychosomatic sometimes as company B is no worse then company A, and certainly if your shifting to Company B where Company A is EVGA, your most likely only going to end up worse off.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not but I wasn't bashing EVGA at all. At least just wait before you get an SSC to make sure they got all the kinks worked out. Hell, maybe it's a driver issue. But most of this is happening with SSC, so I don't know.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not but I wasn't bashing EVGA at all. At least just wait before you get an SSC to make sure they got all the kinks worked out. Hell, maybe it's a driver issue. But most of this is happening with SSC, so I don't know.

its directed at you if your a person whose going to swear off EVGA cards in favor of BFG cards.

Back