Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Can't install audio driver, fix inside!

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I was just throwing this out there to spread the word. The other night I was working on the PC I had built for my friend. We had just gotten done installing Windows XP SP2, and began having serious issues right from the get go installing the AUDIO driver. From the CD, and from any other Realtek HD Audio Driver we attempted to install, we would get that the driver failed the installation. Sometimes you'd see the driver with the yellow / black exclamation mark in Device Manager, sometimes not.

We've tried everything; completely removing the driver (which you can't do because you get an error message that states that the computer may need the device to boot up), attempting to install various other drivers in it's place, attempting to add hardware manually, etc. Nothing worked.

I spent quite a bit of time, approximately an hour if not an hour and a half attempting to read up and resolve the issue. A lot of people suggested that there was a fix from Microsoft, KB Article 888111 which has a patch (has to be requested) to fix it. Be advised, this patch did not fix the issue I believe, and it also comes with the patches from Realtek... browse your Gigabyte motherboard CD or your drivers, we found the patch in both locations.

Ultimately, I was able to find the fix online and it worked for me.

The Fix

1. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove Programs, Remove ANY instance you see of Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver
  2. Click Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager.
  3. Search through here, and remove EVERY instance of the Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver. Note: Could be under sound devices, or system devices also.
  4. I personally didn't have to restart, however you can if you want. After all instances of Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver are REMOVED, feel free to attempt to install your Realtek HD Audio Driver. We installed the latest one that we found from Gigabyte's website. The installation proceeded fine (never has before), and we restarted when suggested in doing so... sound worked right off the bat.

Just wanted to make this easier for everyone whomever was attempting to resolve this issue. From what I could see, anyone who uses this driver typically has this issue. This isn't the first time I've wasted many hours on attempting to resolve a RealTek HD Audio driver... I have a computer at my firehouse that uses the driver (Gateway) and it continually uninstalls itself or stops working. I also have many Dell computers at the police station that also have issues with it, and you have to continually reinstall the driver.

Not a big fan of this company...

Had exactly the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L & Realtek , good call Punkruz, followed your lead but didnt quite nail it. Checked out Microsoft and found some stuff under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111/ which basically suggested modifying the Reg as per removing the following;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WindowsXP\SP3\KB888111.
I did this and straight away the Realtek driver was recognised.
Likewise not a great fan!

Yeah the 888111 article was partly it, unfortunately when I initially tried that it didn't work for me. I believe that combined, the article and my instructions fully removes the HD UAA driver and thus enables it to work...

Weird!

im using SP3 and i dont have KB888111 in my reg

im using windows xp x64 which is probally part of the problem with the lack of support. might just go back to xp x32

Best sub $100 board evar! At least the revision 1.0 board that is.

If they got around to custom memory timings the board would be perfect. Yes, the onboard audio is weak, but all Realteks (which are the majority) are like that.

If they got around to custom memory timings the board would be perfect.

What do you mean "custom memory timings"? I can set any memory timing setting I like, once I hit ctrl-f1 at the main bios screen anyway.

Odd, on the 3L I built I followed the manuals instructions and the driver CD from the factory came with the MIcrosoft UUA driver which MUST be installed first before the audio driver and had no issues at all. If you install the audio driver first, yea your forked.

I had a bitch of a time getting the audio to work on my DS3L. I forget exactly what I did but Imessed with alot of settings and eventually it worked.

Odd, on the 3L I built I followed the manuals instructions and the driver CD from the factory came with the MIcrosoft UUA driver which MUST be installed first before the audio driver and had no issues at all. If you install the audio driver first, yea your forked.
looks like SP3 slipstreamed is causing problems, I've seen a few abit users with similar.

this doesnt really have a direct relationship to the OP's topic, but if someone could answe it that would be great. I just built a system with a DS3L and Vista Ultimate x64. I havent installed any drivers for the mobo, yet everything works, and I get digital audio out of the S/PDIF port to my pre-amp perectly fine. It even passes DD and DTS wonderfully. Networking works aswell, and I understand that is one of the drivers I should install. At this point why would I install the drivers at all? Apparently you dont need them. Thanks.

Vista already has drivers for many pieces of hardware in it.
Of course, since those drivers were made there will have been improvements & that's why you would use more recent ones.

Vista already has drivers for many pieces of hardware in it.
Of course, since those drivers were made there will have been improvements & that's why you would use more recent ones.

Very good point, thanks alot.

The issues the OP is having are not related to Realtek, and they're not related specifically to Gigabyte either, it's a Windows issue because of that damned UAA thing. People have been having problems with that UAA crap since Microsoft and Intel came up with the idea in the first place, and I've had my share of installs (over 2,000) where I ended up doing a lot of fiddling and tweaking to get it working right.

There's a process to get it working right, and the OP sorta kinda landed on it with some outside-the-box methods, but... it is possible to get it working, and relatively easy when you've done it as many times as I (and countless others) have.

And, for the record, I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, just built it last week with a Q6600 and other goodies, so... yeah, it took 2 installs to figure it out on this board. I have the drivers installed and working, but typically I don't even use the onboard audio; I have an Audigy 2 ZS that's worked fine for years now, no reason not to use it even now with 2K3 x64.

This is the board i have been looking to get. Is this problem only with XP or does it have the problem in Vista too?

I just finished 2 builds yesterday: for my brother and a friend using this board. SP3 seems to solve this issue or at least prevent it from happening as I didn't encounter this at all. Crosses fingers it won't appear.

This is the board i have been looking to get. Is this problem only with XP or does it have the problem in Vista too?

XP SP2 and earlier don't have the necessary UAA support natively in their installation files, so if you have a properly integrated XP SP3 installation CD (meaning it's SP3 when the installation from that disc is done, no need for further updating aside from hitting Windows Update for a few minor ones), then you should be ok after you install the proper UAA drivers for your onboard sound (the Realtek) and then you install the latest Realtek drivers either from Realtek itself or the Gigabyte provided ones.

There's two components to the onboard Hi-Def audio stuff: the UAA (has to be installed and operational first) and then the actual hardware driver from Realtek for the soundcard itself.

Vista doesn't have issues since it has all the necessary files, especially Vista SP1, but updating to the latest Realtek drivers after you install Vista and make sure the onboard sound is working - and it does work with Vista SP1 because Vista SP1 has the drivers for UAA and the Realtek onboard sound - you're good to go.

Awesome find by OP and everyone else...looking to buy one or two of the DS3L's to use for some computers. Will keep this in mind.

I ran into similar issues installing my Audio drivers on a GA-G33M-DS2R - the issue? DEP was set to ALWAYSON. When I changed this to OptOut, the drivers installed perfectly first time even when I reformatted a few more times because of other issues.

Back