8800GTS Stock Cooler vs. 8800GT + Accelero S1

berndawg3

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at these two video cards with the aforementioned cooling. Noise is a concern (and I would be getting a Scythe S-Flex for the Accelero). I plan on overclocking as well. I will be gaming at 1920x1200. What do you all recommend?

8800GTS 512mb cooler.....no need to change it at all. Very quiet, and with minor fan speed increases, temps drop 8c-10c with no noticeable noise increase.

The 8800GTS has a few advantages that make it a better bet for overclocking:

1) Reference cooler is quiet and efficient
2) 3 phase power provides for higher overclocking potential
3) Heat is dissipated outside your case
4) Prices are dropping
5) 128 sp

Some 8800GT models have the upgraded power. Also, EVGA offers a GTS cooler called the Akimbo that will fit a reference GT board design for $40. In the end you will pay as much or more than just buying a ready-to-go solution in the GTS.

Good Luck

If you get the S1 cooler go with the 500 or 800 rpm Scythe slipstream... very quiet.. cheaper. Im using Riva tuner to adjust the fan speeds on my 8800GTS... overclocked fairly high it never gets over 73C while gaming and this is in a case that has undervolted 120mm fans so there isnt exactly a ton of air flow. Same card in my buddies Antec900 is running 68C under load also overclocked.

Back