AM2 5000+ VS 6400+

which one should i buy?

• Athlon 64 X2 5000+BE

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
Ok guys got a quick question for you, i am receiving my tax return shortly and i have been hearing a lot of good things about the 5000+, although mostly it has been that it has unlocked multipliers. ok thats kind of nice but i also realize that it has a timing defect in it and actually slows down the RAM in my system.
then there is the 6400+ which is way faster with no need to over clock since i hate over clocking i like that idea, now is it actually worth the extra money for this or no. this is where i am starting to get confused, my system is in my sig.
my main issue is that my CPU is bottlenecking everything right now. so which would be better for me?

I would go with the 5000 BE. You don't have to mess with the HTT link, just raise the multiplier, and in most cases you can get to 3GHz with ease. However if you don't mind a 125W part and want the bigger cache, go for the 6400+. It will probably be about 5-15% faster than the 5000 @ 3GHz.

It's a tough one. The X2 5000+ BE runs cooler, but is ~5% slower clock for clock, and tops out at around 3.2 - 3.3GHz with a good HSF.

On the other hand, the X2 6400+ runs hotter, is about 5% faster clock for clock and can often do 3.4 - 3.5GHz with a good HSF, which would put it some 10 - 15% faster than an overclocked 5000+ BE. Even at stock speeds (3.2GHz), it should be equal to a heavily overclocked 5000+ BE @ 3.3GHz.

Your call.

PS. You could also overclock your current CPU. You should be able to get 2.6 - 2.8GHz out of it, which may be enough to tide you over until your next 'major' CPU upgrade.

i am running a stock cooler on this proc and tax return comes the end of this week, last attempt at OC ended up somehow frying all the data on my hard drive but didnt kill it ran test on the HD and its fine just lost all the data. so no more OC for me, :)

Agreed. 6400 for non-overclockers. Just make sure that your board supports it and you have a good cooling solution.

From your sig I can't tell what you're running socket-wise, but I can say that if you aren't on AM2 already, the answer is neither. If you are, I could never justify spending the ~$160 on a 6400+ with the relatively poor performance, high TDP, and low overclocking value (even though you say you aren't looking to O/C).

If you're already on AM2, the best value proposition is the 5000+ because it's relatively inexpensive, and overclocks quite well. Otherwise look for a 5400 or 5600+ if you really want those extra few hundred Mhz.

I voted for the 6400, but I think 5000 maybe a better option after thinking about it. The 6400 is a power hog (I have one), and puts out a ton of heat. Save some power, get the 5000 and just OC it to 3ghz.

Sorry...didn't realize how old the thread was. I've got my months switched up...

Back