Opinions needed....

Axiomatic

Limp Gawd
Hey friends,

Building a new gaming PC and I need some opinions on the cases I think will fit the build I am looking for. Cost is not really a factor for me so lets put aside that aspect of your opinions.

What is everyones opinion/choice between these cases:

1. Cooler Master Cosmos-S
2. Antec P182 (or 182SE)
3. Silverstone ESA Edition TJ10B

As a side note, I own an original P180 right now and am very happy with it. But I must say there are aspects to these other cases that interest me.

Any opinions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I can only comment on the cosmos.

The build quality is overall similar to what I suspect your current case is. It's heavy and sturdy as hell. Aesthetics are where I believe this case shines. It's curvy and very modern. The handles, though not very practical for LAN (because the case is heavy), are perfect for moving this bad-boy from place to place. If you're like me, you'll be in and out of the puter enough times to appreciate it's handle.

Cooling is another story all together. Though it has a fan at the bottom with an innovative video cooling solution set in place, it still fails to cool better than most cases I've had. I had to mod the case a bit to get it to meet my cooling needs. I cut a hole in the front but had to remove the riveted HDD cage to do so. If you take the cage out though, you'll be amazed how much more room is left. Perfect for me as I was looking for more cooling help.

If you're looking to show off your computers innards, consider these cases (1st editions) do not have a window and they cost almost 100 bucks to purchase separately. However, cutting the hole and mounting some plexi was pretty easy and I believe adds so much to an already beautiful case.

The case is basically tool-less in design. No removable mobo tray here. Plenty of space though to work inside. The black and gray compliment each other very very well.

You can do a quick search to see mine after its mods. But really, the case is pretty elegant to begin with.

I'm liking my P180 v1.1 (same as P182), the cable management is vastly improved, and it retains the superior cooling and noise performance of the series.

There's a whole thread of P180/182 builds if you want to compare the 182 to your 180.

EDIT 2: What aspects of those other cases are you attracted to? Would help us/you pick the best option for you. Also give some more information about your plans for this build.

EDIT: Here's my 182 you can make out the cuts in the tray. The tray itself is raised slightly over the P180 to accommodate the wires behind the motherboard.
wires.jpg

first, thank you both for your opinions.

Next, astyler asked: What aspects of those other cases are you attracted to? Would help us/you pick the best option for you. Also give some more information about your plans for this build.

As I mentioned before, I like my existing P180 because the HD and power supply heat is sectioned off in a separate area than the MB and Vid cards. I realize out of the 3 I listed that only the P182 continues this trend. I admit the Silverstone is an afterthought recommendation from a friend who really likes Silverstone products. I don't know much about them so thats why I asked for opinions. The Cosmos-S I choose due to the "handles" (skids) will make working on this unit far easier in my new house that has carpet. (Old house has wood floors) Other than the "skids" there is nothing about the Cosmos-S that really gets me juiced about it. It's pretty.

Now I should list what I don't like about my P180 that I hope is different in the P182. The space available for a power supply. I had a hell of a time getting a good quality power supply for my P180 that fit. I wound up with a silverstone power supply but the space in between the PS and the 120mm fan in between the lower HD bay and the PS is TIGHT. I mean hella-tight! If I adjust anything with the PS cables it will cause the cables to interfere with the 120mm fan. (I even found a slim 120mm fan and its still tight.) So that is the primary reason I am even considering the Cosmos and Silverstone cases.

Again thanks for replying, hope I get more opinions. ;-)

For that problem, I'd suggest a few things. Take the fan out of that slide bracket and mount it on the other side of the plate with just 4 screws. This should allow the PSU more room for cabling. Also, if you put a cheap fan grill over it ($2) you can move the cables around and not have to worry about it stopping that fan at all.

Well that was my problem on the P180. In looking at the picture of your 182 the space looks bigger now. Is that true?

Is the space from the PS to the fan greater on the P182 than on the original P180?

If so then I guess my decision is a P182. But I'd like to know that for sure.

Well that was my problem on the P180. In looking at the picture of your 182 the space looks bigger now. Is that true?

Is the space from the PS to the fan greater on the P182 than on the original P180?

If so then I guess my decision is a P182. But I'd like to know that for sure.

I've never heard that, it's possible you are using an oversized PSU, what make/model is it?

Can't comment much on the Cosmos case but have experience with the other two so I'll comment on those.

P18x and the TJ Silverstones are two very different beasts. The p182 is a pretty plain, ultilitarian case that certainly gets the job done. It's strengths are its understated good looks, solid construction, good wiring options and relative quiet. Its downfalls its plain Jane looks, cramped working areas in some places and poor functionality in some areas (like the HDD cages and PSU area).

The TJ10 is in a different league - especially cost-wise . . . I know you said that doesn't matter but it needs to be mentioned since it'll cost 2x to 3x the Antec. You'll have a harder time managing the wires in the Silverstone but if you put the time into it, it can be done. The Silverstone has better build quality, much more refined style and (at least for me) just easier to . . . "love" compared to the Antec, which is more just there to get the job done. I've had the P180, P182 and P190 . . . and the fact that I don't miss them for a second means something for me. If and when I replace the Silverstone, it'll have to be for something else that just knocks my socks off!

I know that's not exactly a scientific account of either case but hope it helps a little.

Back