Cooler Master Stacker 830 SE & Real Power Pro 1000w @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master Stacker 830 SE & Real Power Pro 1000w - We have been fans of Stacker chassis for a while and now days Cooler Master is pairing this monster case with a beast of a power supply weighing in at 1000 watts. Are we finally seeing a chassis and PSU combination worth its salt?

At the current pricing, the Cooler Master Stacker 830SE & Real Power Pro 1000w combination looks to be a one stop shop for a high end case and power supply that is a solid value. Considering “low end” 1000w PSUs will cost you around $200, and the Cooler Master Real Power 1000w comes in at $299.99 alone, $45 or $50 “extra” for a Stacker 830 case certainly does not seem like a bad deal.

Wow. Return of the bundled PSU :p

I remember when nearly every case came with some throwaway PSU from Deer or Powmax or something.

Damn nice price on this bundle too... I had better take note of this for my next build.

No doubt! If you are in the market for the PSU, you would be nuts not to buy the bundle and sell the chassis. Make back shipping pretty quickly.

I bought this psu about 4 months ago, and I still have yet to hear it :D

It's also nice to see it get Gold, that's a feat few psu's receive.

Wow the 830SE completely revamped the mobo tray, I wish my 832 had that, I could put a much bigger psu in and not have cables all over the place.

I might have to purchase the SE and do some, trading of parts and get a good PSU in the process.

I've built four systems in the past with the stacker series, nice to know the guy reviewing it (and owner of a stacker) noted the same issue I have had every time, trying to hide cables or route through a place to hide them is rubbish. Most of the other brands of cases leave space on the right hand side (if you look at the case from the front) for stuffing cable behind the panel or the motherboard tray, even down the side of the drive bay assembly.

I bought this exact case and power supply bundle in December for my new system, based on reviews of the case and the Real Power Pro 1250w review done here. Its nice to know that I made a good purchase.

I bought this psu about 4 months ago, and I still have yet to hear it :D

Ditto. Replaced a PCP&C 'Silencer' 750 in October and I've never looked back. Got the Real Power Pro 1000W for $179 AR from ZZF - for some reason, CM has some CRAZY rebate sales through ZZF.

Great review. I have been looking at this case and psu lately. I have been going back and forth about getting the case with included power supply, or to buy the case only and purchase a seperate psu. You answered that question for me with this review. Very helpful info.

I've been looking at this for a while too... kinda in a battle betweenthis and the cosmos s...decisions decisions

Wow thanks for an excellent review. This is certainly on my list to consider for my next build coming up within 2 months or so. This represents a great value imo for an awesome case and a great PSU. ;)

I bought this case a year ago and love it. It does not fill with dust with every fan hole filled like my old PC and is cool and quite. Cable management is not the best but I just try for good air flow not good looks. Best case I have worked with.

I have the same issue with the side panel locking on my 830 (non-SE). It just takes a bit longer to line it up correctly.

This thing TRULY is a dust magnet. With the 4x120's in the side, I have to do almost bi-monthly cleanings. Meh, it gives me an excuse to open the side panel to admire it, lol.

~Ibrahim~

The case is wonderful.

Cleaning isn't an issue, since you should really be doing that anyways. Saves the life of your components and your fans.

As for the side door. If that was aluminum, I think it would have busted off by now. The plastic is solid. The HDD light is really annoying though (simple fix: unplug it). As for that removable motherboard tray: it's a godsend.

I agree with the complaint about the cable management. The case should be 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch wider. I run 6 HDD's, 2 disc drives, 2 8800gt's in sli and a q6600 in mine (plus a few misc PCI cards). Everything is easily powered and works fantastically. But yeah, I couldn't fit it all in a smaller case and thats why I really would have liked that extra space behind the tray. This case is definitely meant for the enthusiast who is going to need as much space as I do, but if you're just building a computer with the basics and maybe 2 drives then you will have ample room.

All in all, this case/PSU combo was the best use of $400 (7 months ago when I bought it) of upgrading I have spent. It'll probably outlast all the components in it. I already switched out the components that were originally in there, and the uninstall and new install went so smoothly. Great review, great case and PSU.

Oh, and I should add even though I've got everything listed above (and all overclocked): the ambient temp stays in the low/mid twenties. I have 8 120mm 2000rpm fans installed in it and the construction of the case muffles them quite well. I really can't tell you how much I love this case. And those wheels are pretty handy. Makes moving it around easier since with all the components it weighs about 60 lbs and it's stuck underneath my desk. And it keeps the case off the ground to add some extra venting.

How Deep is this Case? After all the Hacking I had to do to get an True120 into an Ultra X-Blaster MidTower(8" is barely enough), it is certainly a Measurement (Heatsink Accomodation Rating would be nice) that could have been included in the Review. Other than that, a most excellent review.

I have the Stacker 830 EVO and it is without a doubt the best case I've owned.
Its not quite as elegant as my Lian-Li but the sheer size and ease of installation more than makes up for it.
cable management is a breeze, but I also have an Ultra X3 1000W that I use that has modular cabling.....

My only complaint is that damn blue HDD LED on the top of the case, its bright and really annoying...........solution, I covered it with a beer bottle cap.;) The HDD cage is steel, while the rest of the case is aluminum, which is curious in my opinion. The Cosmos has a nice shiny aluminum cage, though. I just painted my cage black instead of the battleship grey color.

I dont recall the exact depth of the case, but it could easily handle a 9" long PSU. In fact the ads say the case could easily handle the PC P&C 1000W PSU which is huge.

I didnt use that giant fan thing on the left side, instead had Performance put in a window and 2 120mm fans. I use watercooling and this deal can hold everything you'd need and then some.

How Deep is this Case? After all the Hacking I had to do to get an True120 into an Ultra X-Blaster MidTower(8" is barely enough), it is certainly a Measurement (Heatsink Accomodation Rating would be nice) that could have been included in the Review. Other than that, a most excellent review.

I'll check that tonight and post back for you, though I believe it fit a Vigor Monsoon II with ease.

You may have an issue with the fan holders on the side of the case. The cpu socket should be directly in the middle of one of the fans though (it is with my Gigabyte P35), so if you need extra space you can always leave that fan out.

I fit this guy in there no problem (and did not have to leave out a fan):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

CoolerMaster Stacker 830 EVO......250mm (w) x 536mm (h) x 638mm (l) :eek:

It is big byiatch. I thought something was wrong with it when I opened it, lol.

~Ibrahim~

I laughed at the Editor's Note(s) appearing over and over. As soon as I was reading some negative point about the case, I expected one to follow and sure enough, there was!

Nice PSU

I'll check that tonight and post back for you, though I believe it fit a Vigor Monsoon II with ease.

From the motherboard to the inside of the frame of the door that holds the fans you have ~6 1/2 inches.

I laughed at the Editor's Note(s) appearing over and over. As soon as I was reading some negative point about the case, I expected one to follow and sure enough, there was!

Nice PSU

Like many computer components cases are a matter of personal opinion as well as different points from different owners. Obviously Paul had different issues with the case than Kyle and the review sample had some problems that Kyle's person case did not. Not an uncommon issues with cases. You can really only get to know a case by owning it and using it a lot. Its a major problem I see with the average case review. For this reason, along with others, I'm kind of glad [H] doesn't do case reviews.

Nice PSU

Well don't get me wrong I really like the case (and my wife loves the case), I just have a few things that I think could be done better on it and that opinion might well be in the minority.

Its a major problem I see with the average case review. For this reason, along with others, I'm kind of glad [H] doesn't do case reviews.

The main reason we did this particular review is because like I said a few times the majority of power supplies that come with cases suck. Cooler Master had a setup that looked like it might not suck at a price point that would be really appealing to enthusaists so we figured we would give it a go this once and focus mainly on the PSU component. Hopefully this approach was of value to the readers.

So do you think it would have a problem with say a 3870 that has an Accelero S1 attached to it?

Well it looks like the Accelero adds ~106mm from the center of the GPU with the dimensions on the ASUS card we reviewed being 110mm wide. If I assume the GPU is perfectly centered that makes it ~161mm wide and the clearance is ~165mm so it looks like it will be close. *Note* I haven't worked with this combination so I am going off published dimension and a bit of back of the envelope math.

The main reason we did this particular review is because like I said a few times the majority of power supplies that come with cases suck. Cooler Master had a setup that looked like it might not suck at a price point that would be really appealing to enthusaists so we figured we would give it a go this once and focus mainly on the PSU component. Hopefully this approach was of value to the readers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the review. Like all the reviews here I found it well done and well written (always a big bonus for me). You approached the review very well, not touching as much on the aesthetics of the case more on how well it "works". I've read a lot of reviews on this case so it was nice to see a little different approach to talking about it. My post was more a criticism of how cases are normally judged than to point out anything wrong with your review.

Well it looks like the Accelero adds ~106mm from the center of the GPU with the dimensions on the ASUS card we reviewed beiong 110mm wide. If I assume the GPU is perfectly centered that makes it ~161mm wide and the clearance is ~165mm so it looks like it will be close. *Note* I haven't worked with this combination so I am going off published dimension and a bit of back of hte envelope math.

Cool. The major problem with my current case is clearance. I have to leave the side-panel off in order to fit the card in with the cooler. The giant side-panel fan gets in the way. If I wasn't planning to get a new case I'd probably cut a couple rows of fins off of the cooler. All though its mostly a non-issue as I'll have to go back to stock cooling when I get a second card anyway. Wish I had realized this before I bought the cooler.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the review. Like all the reviews here I found it well done and well written (always a big bonus for me). You approached the review very well, not touching as much on the aesthetics of the case more on how well it "works". I've read a lot of reviews on this case so it was nice to see a little different approach to talking about it. My post was more a criticism of how cases are normally judged than to point out anything wrong with your review.

Oh I get you and we (as in [H]) share most of the same concerns which is why we haven't done case reviews. I just wanted to point out that this was an exception to the rule due to some underlying factors that made this particular time an exception.

Oh I get you and we (as in [H]) share most of the same concerns which is why we haven't done case reviews. I just wanted to point out that this was an exception to the rule due to some underlying factors that made this particular time an exception.

Its a pity there is really not accurate way to review a case to get full use out of it. At least not in a timely manner. I feel mice, keyboards, speakers, and monitors have the same problems.

You may have an issue with the fan holders on the side of the case. The cpu socket should be directly in the middle of one of the fans though (it is with my Gigabyte P35), so if you need extra space you can always leave that fan out.

I fit this guy in there no problem (and did not have to leave out a fan):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

The Thermalright Ultra 120 is a really Massive Heatsink. I know my Zalman 9700CNPS would fit without problems, but the Thermalright is really FN Huge. But thanks for the info there probably are people out there who have used the TRUE120 and what their impressions of the installation and clearance issues.

Cool. The major problem with my current case is clearance. I have to leave the side-panel off in order to fit the card in with the cooler. The giant side-panel fan gets in the way. If I wasn't planning to get a new case I'd probably cut a couple rows of fins off of the cooler. All though its mostly a non-issue as I'll have to go back to stock cooling when I get a second card anyway. Wish I had realized this before I bought the cooler.

I have about 31/2"s give or Take 1/4" from the Top of the Video Card to the Door Panel. As the Card is a Brand New Asus EN9600GT 512, it's about the same dimensions as the 8800 GT/GTS, so there's lots of room for Ventilation, The Thermalright is less than a mm from the Door, in fact I had to take a file to the HeatPipe Nubs in order to get my Case Panel to close Properly, and I should have taken a Dremel to the Side Panel, and Sculpted Some F15 Air Intakes Over the Panel to hide the Mod. Damn, Now I have more hacking to do.

That case does not support a ANSI Cat-proof Power switch. That is a big fail for me. =-)

The drive bay couldest be more awesome thought.

but who really needs 1000W? even a Quad with SLI with 4 HDD wont come close.

but who really needs 1000W? even a Quad with SLI with 4 HDD wont come close.

Future proofing. I want a 1000W PSU so that it can last me through upgrades and I won't have to worry about getting a new one.

I going to use this case with a ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 . Will a
ZALMAN CNPS9500 fit ok.

Back