Before you install Vista SP1 - README

Ok I know a bunch have already jumped on board and installed Vista SP1, but we're learning that some are having issues installing and after the install. Here's what I've learned so far regarding problems:

The first thing you want to do before installing SP1 is run Windows update and install any other critical updates listed. Actually Microsoft Update is recommended over Windows Update from what I've read. There are a couple of preparatory patches that need to be installed before you install SP1. One of the patches when it was first released did not work properly and was pulled. Later another patch was released to fix that situation.

Also some device drivers may not be compatible with SP1 and you may need to update certain device drivers before installing SP1. Also you may not be seeing SP1 offered via Windows Update. If so it may be because you need to update a device driver. This article describes the issue and lists drivers known to be an issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;947821

You may also need to run a recently released update which should show up via windows update, if not the direct link is below. It doesn't hurt anything to run it. If you don't need it, it will run and tell you so.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;947821

Some are finding that they are being prompted to re-activate after installing SP1. This is because some device drivers were updated causing the re-activation. When you try to re-activate you are told the key is already in use. You will need to call to re-activate. The phone lines may be busy due to this issue. Yeah it sucks and shouldn't be happening. This link has details on the issue and the other link is a discussion thread which has started on the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947519/en-us

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3027738&SiteID=25

On a personal note I suggest running a chkdsk /f before installing.

Thanks for the info. I've installed SP1 on various versions of Vista x86 using my MSDN subscription on 6 different machines from a six year old 2GHz P4 all the way to my sig rig and I've not had one problem. The machines hd been fully patched through Vista update and had the latest possible drivers installed before SP1 has applied.

You'll also want to make sure you've un-installed any beta versions of the service pack. If you don't, you won't find the update available to you in Windows Update.

Does the new service pack have direct x 10.1? Running DX Diag on what was supposed to be the RTM version showed that it was dx10.0. I uninstalled and reinstalled SP1 last night from Windows Update, but I didn't check to see if dx10 was 10.1 or still 10.0. I know the release notes indicate it was updated to 10.1.

I bring this up because, if dx should be 10.1 and you find you have 10.0, you will know why you're not seeing the final version in Windows Update.

I've had SP1 installed for over a month now and I just checked dxdiag on my sig rig and its still reporting DirectX Version: DirectX 10

The first thing you want to do before installing SP1 is run Windows update and install any other critical updates listed.

I'm a little confuse by this statement. On a clean install system of Vista, we should get all the hotfixes first and then apply SP1?

Isn't it the other way around? I usually do a
1. clean install
2. install SP1
3. Use Microsoft Updates and get all the hot fixes
4. Install drivers

From your statement, you're saying do 3 first than 2?
Could you explain why? (from a clean install point of view)

Thanks!

I did a clean install of Vista and the first thing after was SP1, no hotfixes or anything else and I have had no problems. Afterward I installed all the drivers and stuff (and a 150 point increase in 3Dmark06, where is Vantage?).

I installed SP1 onto a 4 day old install of Vista64...I had already installed all the update packages. Running perfectly smooth, and I also got ~165pt gain in 3DM06, not that that matters a bit :p

Since this is my first 64bit install, I am very impressed so far, with it AND SP1.....

Several weeks ago Microsoft released 2 patches which were intended to "prepare" the system for service pack 1. Yes this is something new and I don't ever recall needing something like this on previous OS service packs.
Basically this is a FYI and intended to help prevent any issues that may ensue. If you have a clean install I would say give it a try, not much to lose in that case.

I'm a little confuse by this statement. On a clean install system of Vista, we should get all the hotfixes first and then apply SP1?

Isn't it the other way around? I usually do a
1. clean install
2. install SP1
3. Use Microsoft Updates and get all the hot fixes
4. Install drivers

From your statement, you're saying do 3 first than 2?
Could you explain why? (from a clean install point of view)

Thanks!

My advice is to not install SP1 until you see it appear in Windows Update. If you don't see it there it's because an old driver or something on your system is not compatible. I think ALL of the problems we're reading about with SP1 are caused by people who didn't listen to Windows Update and went and tried to install it manually.

For example, I couldn't see SP1 in Windows Update on my laptop. If I had just downloaded and installed it on my own I probably would have had problems. Instead, I read Microsoft's list of possible compatibility problems and found that my old sound driver is listed as incompatible. I updated the sound driver and BANG, SP1 appeared in Windows Update and installed flawlessly.

Back