One Quad, Two Quad, Red Quad, Blue Quad

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
I mean, we all need four, right?
How about a new gauntlet? "D" to 4 Quads.
Rules? You have to have less than 4 Quads to start with....easy, huh?

Of course you get extra [H]ard points for the last two being in red and blue cases.

:D

Well i got 1 quad right now, real trying hard to scrape another. But my two other cases are grey and black :(

Well, I have 2 and one on the way to me now...can I play?

In reality though, I don't see me getting another one anytime soon...I really should stop spending money on this crap..:)

I just got one up and running on a college student budget, and i need another? RELIC HAS SPOKEN!!! i now need a quad in my main rig, it has been decided.

Currently at three Q6600's, looking for another. :cool: Count me in!

I have 2 quads and I am trying to get money for another but it wont be easy:(

I have two quads running atm, I'll *likely* get a third in about a month... but looking to more than that is stretching it thin at this point.

We'll see though, I can always borg :cool:

Same I have 3 and ordered another... hope it comes soon! Q9450 from buy.com. Soon soon soon I Hope. I'm also hoping the 780i it goes in will be my first 500+ FSB mobo.

Here's to hoping!

Same I have 3 and ordered another... hope it comes soon! Q9450 from buy.com. Soon soon soon I Hope. I'm also hoping the 780i it goes in will be my first 500+ FSB mobo.

Here's to hoping!

It isn't any wonder you keep flashing up in my rear view mirror every so often. :cool: Anyone know who's got the best deal on another retail Q6600 right now, or is that MC $200 deal still happening? I'm nowhere near a MC, so if one of you guys could *ahem*, hook me up? :D

I'd love to have a 4th quad, but my bank account and credit card keep saying it's not possible. About the only way I could do it is if I managed to come into a bit of money and was able to pick up a Phenom as my X2 system is compatible with Phenom quads. It would be the cheapest way to get a 4th quad running but it won't put out near the PPD as the Q6600 as the new Phenoms don't seem to clock much better than the old ones.

I think we'd have to accept a Phenom as a 4th quad.
It fits in the spirit of the gauntlet.

No can do on the blue or red cases, though.

Currently have a gunmetal gray Antec P182 and I'm not touching that. Although it does have blue LEDs for hard drive lights and I have a couple small blue cold cathode lights in it which makes it very easy to work on the inside of the case without needing a flashlight. I guess it could technically count for a blue case.

Otherwise, the other systems with quads are basically bare bones. One case is nothing but a shell. No side panels, no front bezel and the only button is the on/off switch on the PSU. To turn it on for the first time, you have to use a screwdriver to short the two pins on the mobo for power. After that it's setup in the BIOS to start up when power is applied to the system. This only matters if the power goes out as the machine is never turned off otherwise.

The other quad has no side panels but it does have a front bezel on it. I guess that's not too bad. The X2, which could be the 4th quad eventually, is missing one side panel and the front bezel.

There are only two cases out of the six I have which are fully intact. That would be my main system with the P182 and the system I built for my son late last year and that's only because those cases were bought new and recently. All my other cases have been around for a while or were something I grabbed before someone threw it away as I still had a use for it.

I'm also not going to waste good folding money on a can of cheap spray paint just to paint the cases different colors. I could take the 120mm fan with red LEDs out of my son's case and put them in another case which would take care of the red part. That's always a possibility. :p

Will trade a 4000+ Brisbane @3.0Ghz for a B3 stepping Phenom quad. :D

I wish I could get a quad...but my other half sort of wants to know why we need any more computers....only have 5 in the house right now...besides I just spent $500 on my E6550....oh...and a new monitor!! 24" of LCD goodness!! computer budget is shot now :(

I wish I could get a quad...but my other half sort of wants to know why we need any more computers....only have 5 in the house right now...

I'm running into the same problem.... It makes perfect sense to me, but for some odd reason she doesn't seem to understand:confused:confused:

I keep trying to get her to participate here a little more often, hoping that maybe the [H]orde could help me persuade her, help her see the light so to speak....but she's hung up on this silly photography "hobby"....

I'm running into the same problem.... It makes perfect sense to me, but for some odd reason she doesn't seem to understand:confused:confused:

I keep trying to get her to participate here a little more often, hoping that maybe the [H]orde could help me persuade her, help her see the light so to speak....but she's hung up on this silly photography "hobby"....

Buy her a dual quad xeon photo-editing box?

I mean, we all need four, right?
How about a new gauntlet? "D" to 4 Quads.
Rules? You have to have less than 4 Quads to start with....easy, huh?

Of course you get extra [H]ard points for the last two being in red and blue cases.

Does having 4 quads in one [H] box count or do I have to paint each HSFs a different color? ;)

Buy her a dual quad xeon photo-editing box?

Believe it or not, I have been working that angle for quite a while... but she seems oddly content with the machine she has now....... she justifies it as "saving money for new lenses"... I don't get it.

I do have a bit of a covert plan... now if I can just figure out how to sabotage her rig without leaving any traces... she's quite savvy when it comes to hardware and I don't think the old paper clip in a ram slot is going to fly;)

Believe it or not, I have been working that angle for quite a while... but she seems oddly content with the machine she has now....... she justifies it as "saving money for new lenses"... I don't get it.

I do have a bit of a covert plan... now if I can just figure out how to sabotage her rig without leaving any traces... she's quite savvy when it comes to hardware and I don't think the old paper clip in a ram slot is going to fly;)

Just tell us about the hardware in the machine and we can figure something out. I'm not sure about other people, but I probably have some older hardware that's either dead or on its way out. You might be able to do some swapping which will make the rig unusable through instability or dead parts.

If the case has messy wiring, that's all you actually need. When she's not around, just "find" a molex connector that miraculously has "stripped" wires on it which accidentally made contact with something else in the box which shorted it out and fried the hardware. Once the magic smoke is gone, the hardware will no longer work.

Trust me, many of us are rather knowledgeable about "sabotaging" old hardware.

Nevermind... talking about this is here is a bad idea, all in good fun, but a bad idea none the less... she is a member here, she doesn't browse this particular forum but regardless... I'd hate to have something "bad" happen... if ya know what I mean:)

I've got one now. As in my previous thread, as soon as I get the gig I'm after, I will bump my count up. I'm looking at at least 3 new Quads, but depending on how things work out, I may go Dual Quad Xeons in my home office AppServer & DBServer for a total of 5 new Quads.

Due to some life changes, I will afford another quad soon for myself :)

I may even be that hard and buy another quad to upgrade my work box as well..

I've only 4 Quads running at the moment.
2 are at the testing stage of running Memtest & Orthos.
The other 6 are still sitting in their boxes waiting to be added to the farm.
That will make 12 Quads (4x X5355's & 8x Q6600's) in total in the home farm ................ :eek:
I win .......... :p
Only 1 black case and 2 silver ones but they all have coloured fans.
I've only shut half my farm down so far for the upgrade, Hence my drop in points.

Luck ............. :D

That will make 12 Quads (4x X5355's & 8x Q6600's) in total in the home farm ................ :eek:
Only 1 black case and 2 silver ones but they all have coloured fans.
I've only shut half my farm down so far for the upgrade, Hence my drop in points.

Show off! :D

Hell far Tiger...share the wealth, son... Share the wealth! :D We could all use a little of that, you know.

One quad here, and most of the parts for a second one. Sadly, groceries and medicine for my parents > RAM and PSU this week. Even if they are the reason I fold.

Hell far Tiger...share the wealth, son... Share the wealth! :D We could all use a little of that, you know.

Once I get the new farm set up, the plan is to ship all the old mobo's, cpu's & memory over to the [H]orde to be used as prizes in any comps that may come up.

I've got something like 14 mobo's with 16 cpu to go with them & around 30 Gb of memory to give away, as I know I'll never get around to selling them.
They range from a Q6600/B3 & 4 Gb that cannot get to overclock, down to a pair of 250's.

Once I get the new farm set up, the plan is to ship all the old mobo's, cpu's & memory over to the [H]orde to be used as prizes in any comps that may come up.

I've got something like 14 mobo's with 16 cpu to go with them & around 30 Gb of memory to give away, as I know I'll never get around to selling them.
They range from a Q6600/B3 & 4 Gb that cannot get to overclock, down to a pair of 250's.

Sounds good! :)

:eek: all I can say is wow ;)

Whoa !! How generous and you are just in time where I'm trying to setup something (still awaiting for ICE_9 to come back with a test I asked).

Nice...but you know I was only kidding! :D Still, that sounds like some really great incentive for some of the folders and potential folders here on the [H] to look forward to. Very generous of you, indeed. :cool:

Back