ServerNet.exe possible virus?

N_Raged

Limp Gawd
I may have brought it home on my USB drive from the campus computer lab.

ServerNet.exe spreads itself to all my root drives and autoruns itself and mspaint.exe which tries to access the internet.

Another one resides in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo
which cannot be manually deleted. I did manage to do so with Dr Delete but it came back from god knows where.

So is this a virus? Google turned up nothing useful.

this is the best thing I could find for you on Google. I assume you saw this too.

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=0wD

It was in Chinese, Google-translated to English. It looks like you do have a virus. If I'm reading this right, you need to do more than delete servernet.exe. You also need to remove u.bat, v.vbe, uda.a and you need to unhide the autorun.inf on your USB drive and get rid of it. Seems the autorun.inf is infecting any machines you plug it into.

This is all speculation. I wasn't able to find any information anywhere else except on Chinese websites. Even symantec.com and mcafee.com came up blank.

EDIT: before removing the INF and BAT files, open it in Notepad and see if you can collect any other clues about the virus. What's being copied, what's being executed, etc.

Wow crazy, there was one in each of my six partitions. No sign of any u.bat, v.vbe, or uda.a, but I deleted everything else. Hopefully that's the end of it. Thanks Azhar and Cobalt for the prompt help.

Time to go have a word with the lab admin.

I'm a mac user, but my campus uses Windows XP. I just found it after helping my grandpa upgrade his old Dell pc hard drive.

I've deleted the virus from my USB Drive. YES, the autorun was definitely altered (even though it was read-only...) to automatically run servernet.exe upon load.

I hope it wasn't an OS X thing...

On a lighter note, I haven't posted on HardForums for about seven years now! WOW! Only came across it because of google search.

Ben

Back