Hanns G HG-281DPB Review?

brumby05

Limp Gawd
Is there a good Hanns G HG-281DPB review out there that shows it with a pc and 360, both via hdmi? I have googled around but can't find one. I am really considering this for pc and 360. Does it have 1:1 pixel mapping or 16:9 option which I need for the 360. Anyone own this monitor or have seen one in person?

Edit: I am going to add the ViewSonic VX2835wm into the conversation. How is this compared to the Hanns G? Again, I will be using this with my pc and 360, both using hdmi.

I was wondering the same thing... Also is there a significant difference between VGA and DVI? This monitor only has the VGA input

I have the Hanns HG-281DJB which is the same as the DPB model. The main difference is that the DJB has height adjustment. There is no 1:1 mapping on this LCD. There is only a HDMI and VGA input. However, there is a newer Hanns 28 just released called the Hannspree 28" HF-289HJB. This model has more video inputs and it's a replacement for the 281DJB model. Here is a review of the Hanns HG-281DPB model

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=125&Itemid=1

http://www.newmobilecomputing.com/story/19242/Review:_HannsG_HG281DJB_28_Monitor

Ok, I bought one of the last 281's off the floor at BB and liked it very much. Main complaints were poor representation of dark greys/blacks and some un-uniform back light (edges).

I ordered the newer Hannspree HF289H from BB on-line and I have to tell you, MAJOR improvement in both area's plus some additional plug-ins. I did not expect such an improvment between the two, but there is no debate that the 289 is better.

DON'T buy the 281, get the 289 instead!

Ok, I bought one of the last 281's off the floor at BB and liked it very much. Main complaints were poor representation of dark greys/blacks and some un-uniform back light (edges).

I ordered the newer Hannspree HF289H from BB on-line and I have to tell you, MAJOR improvement in both area's plus some additional plug-ins. I did not expect such an improvment between the two, but there is no debate that the 289 is better.

DON'T buy the 281, get the 289 instead!

On BB website it says the resolution is 1920x1080, is that true? That would be kind of lame if it was.

On BB website it says the resolution is 1920x1080, is that true? That would be kind of lame if it was.

That's apparently an error - according to the specifications on Hannspree's site and manual, the max resolution is 1920 x 1200.

Yeah, its 1920X1200 which works much better for my eyes than the 30". Games are great on a 30", but Outlook at 2560 makes my eyes bleed. This Hannspree is a nice compromise.

Neither the 281 or 289 has 1:1 or Fixed aspect ratio for 4:3 when using DVI. See some of the other posts about these 2 monitors as there has been some discussion on them lately.

The 289 has proper 1:1 "per pixel" mapping on 16:9 material on hdmi though I would assume.. for blu-ray / 1080p playback / ps3 ? How could they advertise it as:
"2 HDMI inputs allow you to easily connect a Blu-ray Disc player, HD DVD player or other HD component" without telling you it stretches the playback vertically ?

Check out this thread. The guy says that dvi-->hdmi will not scale the 16:9 or 4:3 properly. But I talked with the guy and he said that hdmi-->hdmi and component both scale 16:9 and 4:3 properly.

I have been eyeballing the 281 at newegg.com, but after reading this I will get the 289 instead. I don't have a console at the moment but I was wanting to plan ahead and get something that will be good with one. Probably get a PS3 when they drop in price a little so I have a Blu-ray player as well.
Thanks for the input.

Check out this thread. The guy says that dvi-->hdmi will not scale the 16:9 or 4:3 properly. But I talked with the guy and he said that hdmi-->hdmi and component both scale 16:9 and 4:3 properly.

Keep in mind I said HDMI>HDMI should not be an issue. I only was able to verify first-hand that component scaled correctly so I can't say with 100% confidence that HDMI works. However, I can verify that the instructions say the HDMI & Component signals are suppose to work, there is a HDMI Mode selector in the same menu option as the scaling, and I did see Component work... so that puts me at a 99% confidence level. (There are 2 different "Image Setting" menus for DVI/DSUB and for HDMI/Component that are specific to those connections.)

Also, I figured I would mention that there are 4 scaling modes listed in the HDMI/Component menu option for those interested... 4:3, 16:9, Zoom1, & Zoom2.

@ Diablo2K- Stay away from the 281... It doesn't do dark shadows well. (See link brumby05 posted).

So can you verify that the detail-in-blacklevels is decent in the 289 model?

I'm thinking of getting this monitor for my desk and 'retiring' my 37" westinghouse 37w3 to my living room as a TV + PS3 gaming/bluray playback. Although the westinghouse black levels aren't perfect, and the response time is worse than the hanns, I would hate to take a step back in terms of black level and detail in blacks.

I enjoy the westinghouse as my computer monitor but I have it set back 3 feet on a stand (44" from the screen to my eyes typically). I could get the same effective size perspective with this 27.5" monitor if I had it closer on the edge of the desk. The only thing I'd lose is size vs the couch that is 6 or 7 feet behind my desk, but I could live with that having the westy in the 'real' living room.

I guess I could always return it to BB if I found it lacking, but I'd like to hear from another person who owns the 289 model other than that one mention that guy had - "get the 289 its better". :p

Keep in mind I said HDMI>HDMI should not be an issue. I only was able to verify first-hand that component scaled correctly so I can't say with 100% confidence that HDMI works.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to misquote you, I just wanted to let everyone know what you told me.

Can someone that has this monitor go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

and see how it is for banding? I had recently bought the LG 26" and it's absolutely horrible with banding so i'm getting rid of it. It was between the LG and the hannspree and i had opted for the LG originally thinking they'd be higher quality, yeah, oops.

I just purchased the 281 and my PS3 has problems outputting 16:9 in 1080p for games. It appears it works in blu-ray movies (I get the black bars on the top and bottom) but in games it seems to stretch the image out to 16:10 and it looks pretty awful. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed or adjusted somehow but it is quite disappointing. Does anyone know if the 289 does 16:9 in games correctly?

Keep in mind I said HDMI>HDMI should not be an issue. I only was able to verify first-hand that component scaled correctly so I can't say with 100% confidence that HDMI works. However, I can verify that the instructions say the HDMI & Component signals are suppose to work, there is a HDMI Mode selector in the same menu option as the scaling, and I did see Component work... so that puts me at a 99% confidence level. (There are 2 different "Image Setting" menus for DVI/DSUB and for HDMI/Component that are specific to those connections.)

Also, I figured I would mention that there are 4 scaling modes listed in the HDMI/Component menu option for those interested... 4:3, 16:9, Zoom1, & Zoom2.

@ Diablo2K- Stay away from the 281... It doesn't do dark shadows well. (See link brumby05 posted).

So this is only for 289 not for the 281?

I'm resurrecting this old thread instead of making a new one.

I'm looking at the HannsG on newegg and it's rather tempting. Does anyone have any new input or thoughts on this monitor?

Currently I have the Benq V2400W which is no longer being produced and I'd like to get another 1920x1200 display that is just as good as my current one.

I'm resurrecting this old thread instead of making a new one.

I'm looking at the HannsG on newegg and it's rather tempting. Does anyone have any new input or thoughts on this monitor?

Currently I have the Benq V2400W which is no longer being produced and I'd like to get another 1920x1200 display that is just as good as my current one.

This LCD is no longer sold on New egg..

Back