AMD B3 Phenom Fixes TLB Issues @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD B3 Phenom Fixes TLB Issues - This is almost a non-issue, but some would have you think otherwise. But to make sure you are kept in the loop, AMD has fixed the TLB Erratum occurring on its B2 version of the Phenom processors. The new "B3" is all fixed up.

As you might expect, the Phenom B2 benchmarks with TLB fixes turned off are the "same" as native B3 silicon scores. The TLB erratum has been fixed in B3 Phenom silicon.

It will be good to see some benchmarks on the new X4 9850 Black Edition. Hopefully AMD will get their act back together soon and give Intel some serious competition.

you say the giga is your favorite board. but it seems to have been romoved from giga site and is no longer in production.

awaiting your 9850 review.

As soon as the new 9850 BE is in stock ill buy it, and i please say it does a 3 ghz well lol :p

A 3ghz is a 3.3 ghz athlon X2 meaning i will have the simular performance of my X2 5600+ but another 2 mb cache and higher memory performance =)

+ a quadcore.!

and please go for a DFI instead the gigabyte sux!, i havnt done anything else than regret i didnt be patient to wait for release of dfi, and buy it from a e-tailer from GER or something, since they aint retailed in norway, ive killed my board 3 times now since november, it have lack of options in bios, and connectors are gay

btw link to mobo on gigabyte site is :
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2690

and is very much in sale still! retails for about 300 usd here in norway which is far too expensive to be that bad!

Either way, its great that u guys use the same mobo aswell!, cause then ill know i can prolly do the same oc, with my 4 radiator Apogee eheim watercooling =) so ill know what i atleast will get.

hmm i think if the reviews go well i will be turning in my current 9600 and go with this new chip

you say the giga is your favorite board. but it seems to have been romoved from giga site and is no longer in production.

awaiting your 9850 review.

And as noted, that Gigabyte board is still alive and well.

Get you one at Newegg for "cheap." But those are open box, so maybe they are going by the wayside.

MSI would be my next choice.

eh that gigabyte board has horrible spacing! i've seen some msi boards that have better spacing. none of the 790fx boards had 4 pci-e with at least 8 sata ports. i was considering phenom for my server (because i'd be tempted to overclock an intel chip lol) but i may just have to go the intel route. all the cpu's i've had so far were amd save a p3 in a crap compaq machine a long time ago lol. now i have a Q6600 and plan to get a few more quad cores from intel. if amd comes out with something better i'd definitely consider them again, but really, its kinda sad right now :(

the msi board i was considering for my server

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130080

4 pci-e 16x (some at 8x but thats enough :))slots, enough for a triple monitor setup, or extra 8x pci-e raid cards :). when i get more money maybe i can catch ockie :D. just 9.17TB so far ;)

c'mon amd! i know you have something better. sooner please, than later :(

Meh... good chip at a good price= good value. Hopefully AMD can hang in there and keep Intel honest. But the neutral-branded enthusiast in most of us here can't help but wanting to go with Intel still for all of the overclocking potential!

So nice to read AMD is getting back in the game again. Just can't wait to jump back into AMD! :)

So nice to read AMD is getting back in the game again. Just can't wait to jump back into AMD! :)

It's noting to get too terribly excited about, really. Yeah, we finally see processors over 2.3GHz, but AMD needs far more than just a 200MHz bump to stay "in the game" as you put it.

AMD's best hope is it's 45nm parts. That's what you should have your eyes peeled for... ;)

It's noting to get too terribly excited about, really. Yeah, we finally see processors over 2.3GHz, but AMD needs far more than just a 200MHz bump to stay "in the game" as you put it.

AMD's best hope is it's 45nm parts. That's what you should have your eyes peeled for... ;)

"Help me 45 nanometer. You're my only hope."

My Sentiments exactly. If and when AMD can get their Phenom out on their new 45nm Process, then maybe it should start to scale up better. Until then, like you said, not much to report on.

My Sentiments exactly. If and when AMD can get their Phenom out on their new 45nm Process, then maybe it should start to scale up better. Until then, like you said, not much to report on.

Yeah, it will hopefully scale better in terms of clock, but from what I have seen from Phenom, even at 3GHz, it is still taking a beating compared to 3GHz Core 2. Intel has scaled their cache, FSB, and memory bus aggressively which AMD has done none of. AMD is not still at a 200MHz processor bus by choice.

So I think, "Help me BullDozer. You're my only hope,' is more like it.

That ALL said, AMD is doing just fine contrary to popular sentiment. They are selling every processor they can make, and will have Fusion soon. They are still doing good in the bread and butter department, just not very glamorous. And while all the analysts are spouting that the ATI purchase was a "bad deal" it will what saves AMD in the end, so the high cost may not seem so high in a few years. Anyway, this is just me talking out my ass. So there's my two cents, you may need change.

"Help me 45 nanometer. You're my only hope."

Gonna need that and living on a prayer. With Intel still sitting on their nuclear red button over there (aka they arent even squeezing their current tech for all its got) amd is going to need to scale pretty high (like 3.5ghz). If they can pull this off in a reasonable time frame then I think they might have a bit of a chance here.

Good to see the B3 has whupped the TLB vs. performance issue- I'm ready for an upgrade.

Now if only nVidia will get off their butts on the 780A chipset.....

I've been running a regular old Agena 9600 under Vista x64 without issues for a while now. My third comp is an AMD rig. I didn't install SP1 because it shoves the TLB patch down your throat and my rig runs fine without it.

I've got the 9600, 4Gb G Skill ram, a MSI K9A2 CF and two HD 3850s @ 760|2038 installed in that comp.

If I could only own one computer, it would be P35 + Q6600 G-0 or E8400 and a 8800GT or GTS 512Mb. If AMD can put out a Phenom that can consistently OC to 2.9-3.0GHz they may gain back some ground among mild overclockers. Right now you can easily do that with a Q6600 G-0 and the stock cooler with no voltage increase.

Things are looking better for them and I hope they continue to improve.

AMD = dead. Socket 939 was the best thing AMD ever had. The only thing AMD has left that is worth anything is ATI.

Crap, they're still using DDR2 even.

AMD = dead. Socket 939 was the best thing AMD ever had. The only thing AMD has left that is worth anything is ATI.

Crap, they're still using DDR2 even.

blah blah blah kindly blow it out your ass :D

These AMD chips aren't horrible as long as you're not expecting a huge overclock out of them. It's still a quad-core for ~$200. Not too bad.

And DDR2?? Who wants to use DDR3 unless they're made of money? DDR2 is plenty fast and a quarter of the price. So.... wtf are you talking about??

These AMD chips aren't horrible as long as you're not expecting a huge overclock out of them. It's still a quad-core for ~$200. Not too bad.

And DDR2?? Who wants to use DDR3 unless they're made of money? DDR2 is plenty fast and a quarter of the price. So.... wtf are you talking about??

Agreed. AMD isn't going to win any overclocking or benchmark contests, but if you look at the bigger picture, AMD can at least achieve "mid-range" performance with their parts. As long as they keep to schedule and deliver on their promises, I think in the long run AMD will fine ATM and if they keep on it they will be competitive once again. It's just going to take time (and a couple new architectures) is all.

is it just me, or is AMD always behind the curve in terms of the FSB speeds...?
with the Pentium Extreme 955/965 and the first round of Core2 processors,
Intel was running 266MHz FSB right outa da box - and now they are up to 333MHz

so the real question to my mind is, Why is AMD trying to catchup by going slower (200FSB)?

Agreed. AMD isn't going to win any overclocking or benchmark contests, but if you look at the bigger picture, AMD can at least achieve "mid-range" performance with their parts. As long as they keep to schedule and deliver on their promises, I think in the long run AMD will fine ATM and if they keep on it they will be competitive once again. It's just going to take time (and a couple new architectures) is all.

we dont know that for sure with this revision.. unless you have one in your hand right now to test,, we dont know for sure what else they could have changed in the process.. a subtel tweak to one part could mean hugh changes else where. Im by no means a fan boy, just pointing out that with revisions, many things can change, for better or worse. hell for all we know, with this fix the chip might scale easly to 4ghz... it might not be oc'able at all

wait and see

AMD is choosing not to move from 200MHz because simply put, there is no reason to go higher given their architecture. They can get identical performance characteristics by simply changing the multipliers.

Not quite. The Phenom can't handle much more than 200MHz. After about 225MHz they become unstable. This is true of B2 and B3 steppings.

with the Pentium Extreme 955/965 and the first round of Core2 processors,
Intel was running 266MHz FSB right outa da box - and now they are up to 333MHz

so the real question to my mind is, Why is AMD trying to catchup by going slower (200FSB)?

They don't use a FSB, AMD uses a HTT system. Intel is actually playing catchup to AMD in this category.

They don't use a FSB, AMD uses a HTT system. Intel is actually playing catchup to AMD in this category.

Well one could argue that Intel doesn't currently need to use anything like Hypertransport. I know they are rumored to be going that way for Nehelem, but right now the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors are kicking the shit out of everything Hypertransport enabled AMD processor in every price point in nearly every benchmark possible.

They are two different approaches to getting things done. Intel's approach is different and slower on one hand, but the processor is designed in such a way as to not require as much bandwidth as HTT provides.

Not quite. The Phenom can't handle much more than 200MHz. After about 225MHz they become unstable. This is true of B2 and B3 steppings.

That may be true, but that doesn't make my statement untrue. The fact that the reference clock can only go so high is going to affect oveclockers becuase the multi is locked. All it is, is a reference clock, there is no data being transfered through this 200MHz "bus" so it isn't a bottleneck (except for overclockers)

It will be good to see some benchmarks on the new X4 9850 Black Edition. Hopefully AMD will get their act back together soon and give Intel some serious competition.

AMD does not have a chance in hell of doing that until K10 is shipping on 45nm,and thats just for starters...

Its funny you say that,cause its not really true anymore.Today I saw a 2x1Gb DDR3 kit from Corsair on sale for 124 bucks with shipping for 8.99 next day.

What was that about needing to be made out of money to get DDR3 ? :p

Its funny you say that,cause its not really true anymore.Today I saw a 2x1Gb DDR3 kit from Corsair on sale for 124 bucks with shipping for 8.99 next day.

You may not have to be made out of money, but when you can get 4GB of DDR2 for ~$70, sometimes less after rebates, there is still a very significant price difference for very insignificant performance boost.

actually i dont believe this is true
i have a B3 Phenom 9750 125W CPU and i am running at ~3.2GHz (12*266MHz) and its rock solid. Ive had it running 4 instances Stress Prime 2004 for almost 2 days now.
i'll take a screeny to prove my results after i get my new ram. I think the current RAM i have is holding me back cuz i can lower the mem divider and go higher but i want to keep a 1:2 ratio on HT Ref and MEM.

ROLF !!!

50 bucks is hardly a significant amount of money ! Surely you jest....

It's all relative. $50 more for something that costs thousands or even hundreds isn't very significant. $50 more for something that costs only $70 to begin with, no sorry, less then $70 becuase you're usign 2GB as an example to where i'm using 4GB is very significant. Infact, it is about 4x more just as Citizen86 mentioned. You're looking at a price premium of nearly 400%. That is significant. For a performance difference that is in the single digits.

Is DDR3 terribly expensive? No
Is there a significant price difference between DDR2 and DDR3? Yes
Is there a significant performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3? No

i have a B3 Phenom 9750 125W CPU and i am running at ~3.2GHz (12*266MHz) and its rock solid. Ive had it running 4 instances Stress Prime 2004 for almost 2 days now.
i'll take a screeny to prove my results after i get my new ram. I think the current RAM i have is holding me back cuz i can lower the mem divider and go higher but i want to keep a 1:2 ratio on HT Ref and MEM.

What motherboard are you using? I haven't been able to go beyond 225MHz FSB on any AMD 790FX AM2+ board I've tested so far with a Phenom processor. Yet those same boards will do 300MHz+ with Athlon X2's without any problems.

Clearly the Phenom is responsible for the shitty FSB overclocking here as it is the one component changed when overclocking these boards with X2's and Phenom X4 CPUs. You may have ended up with the best chip out there so far or something but all my experience with these chips tells me that Phenom's don't go past 225MHz as a general rule. Not saying that there aren't any out there that can but if there are they are certainly rare. I've got a B2 Phenom X4 9600 and two B3's (Phenom X4 9750 and a Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition) that can't do it.

we dont know that for sure with this revision.. unless you have one in your hand right now to test,, we dont know for sure what else they could have changed in the process.. a subtel tweak to one part could mean hugh changes else where. Im by no means a fan boy, just pointing out that with revisions, many things can change, for better or worse. hell for all we know, with this fix the chip might scale easly to 4ghz... it might not be oc'able at all

wait and see

I wasn't specifically saying that their 45nm Phenoms were going to be any better. And the "new architectures" I was reffering to were RV770/R700 on the graphics side and Bulldozer on the CPU side. I don't have a crystal ball or parts on hand to say how they're going to turn out, but it would certainly be great to see AMD do well for a change. :)

hey great job on the OC.

heres someone else with 3.0 stable

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14424/2

what board are you using ?

has a full report showing it hang ing there real strong @ 3.0ghz

If you consider their nonexistant FSB as "behind the curve"... ehh, sure.

Again, there isn't one. On-die memory controller, which has been that way since the introduction of the K8 line many years ago.

And I can get a 2GB stick of DDR2 for $35. Enjoy blowing $124 on 1GB sticks of DDR3, while you are at it, have your case-fan grilles gold plated, and maybe even throw in a high-priced vacuum tube amp to use with an AC'97 sound card. There are so many other things to waste money on, why limit yourself to ram?

Cheapest prices on newegg:
2GB stick of DDR3 (1066)= $244.99 Patriot
2GB stick of DDR2 (800) = $34.99 A-data
DDR3= 7 times more expensive regardless.

as Citizen86, waste of money. Core-2 doesnt need it, AM2 doesnt need it.

I suppose the topic title sums it up nicely: B3 fixes the TLB issues, and nothing more.

hehe, i bought my DDR2 mushkin pc9200 kit running 1250 mhz OK.

Thats FAAST, i payd about half the price a simular performing DDR3 memory would cost me.

Quite frankly the powerconsumtion isnt very bad combined with Amd 7 series chipset which is some serious green chipsets with GREAT support, Great speed, but who really made it, prolly ATI :p

And btw B3 fixes several things, amd doesnt need to have much planning, strategy, media shit, so on, 200 mhz more on same TPD, ehm, no bug yeah:p and better overclocking overall in AVG.
Max oc is mostly SAME

Great value for non high clockers amd, but still, not high enough amd!

This chip gets my 5600+ to go somewhere else cause the 2.5 ghz phenom > 2.8 ghz X2 per 2 cores.
Therefore, ill buy this new one, and live abit long with it, till 45 NM :p

Stuck with a amd system, might aswell go with a new cpu since change to intel is wayyy to expensive for me now, got a speed ticket at a 700 usd >_< norwegian fines n taxes are craaazy

What motherboard are you using? I haven't been able to go beyond 225MHz FSB on any AMD 790FX AM2+ board I've tested so far with a Phenom processor. Yet those same boards will do 300MHz+ with Athlon X2's without any problems.

Clearly the Phenom is responsible for the shitty FSB overclocking here as it is the one component changed when overclocking these boards with X2's and Phenom X4 CPUs. You may have ended up with the best chip out there so far or something but all my experience with these chips tells me that Phenom's don't go past 225MHz as a general rule. Not saying that there aren't any out there that can but if there are they are certainly rare. I've got a B2 Phenom X4 9600 and two B3's (Phenom X4 9750 and a Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition) that can't do it.

ive got the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 Motherboard. Im running the CPU at 1.40v from the stock 1.30v

ive also got the MSI K9A2 Platinum Rev1 (i think its called that lol) and ive just started my OC on that board with another Phenom 9750 (this one is the OEM 95W while the one at ~3.2GHz is the retail 125W).

When OCing Phenoms you have to remember to lower your HT Link Speed as it cannot handle more than what its rated for. I mean if its rated at 1.8GHz HT Link it might not take 2.0GHz + HT Link Speed at all. My system was failing quite alot at 2.12GHz and when i lowered it back to 1.8xGHz it was fine and has been since. On the Gigabyte board there is also an option for Mem Controller Speed but ive only been able to keep it at the same speed as the HT Link, otherwise the system craps out after a few hours of Stress Prime (not while running it, but when you stop Stress Prime).

Back