MSI 8500GT with HDMI ports, Audio is not working?

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I have a MSI 8500GT card with a DVI and HDMI port. It supports 1080P and the picture on my TV looks fantastic. Only problem is that the audio doesn't work with the HDMI cable?

The card has a SPDIF "In" connector and when I plug it into the SPDIF "out" connector on the mobo it still does not detect any type of sound.

I even swapped out the HDMI cable with a good known source that supports the video and audio with the HDMI cable (Xbox 360), and that didn't work.

In Vista I set the audio to Digital Audio and that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Yesterday, I received the SPDIF out module from Asus. I plugged int the headers into the motherboard and from the MSI 8500GT video card there was a SPDIF "in" plug that I plugged into the SPDIF module. The end of the plug is yellow.

I still can't get it to work! Any ideas?

The card has a SPDIF "In" connector and when I plug it into the SPDIF "out" connector on the mobo it still does not detect any type of sound.

Any ideas?

Positive you've got it on the right headers? I'm stumped....if you've got a sound card w/ SPDIF I'd test it out to eliminate any problems w/ the VGA card itself

Absolutely, I'm positive that I have it on the right headers on the mobo.

I bought the Razer AC-1 Barracuda Sound Card today off woot.com

Hopefully that will solve the problem? I don't have a sound card with SPDIF, so that's why I purchased the Razer AC-1 Barracuda Sound Card.

Positive you've got it on the right headers? I'm stumped....if you've got a sound card w/ SPDIF I'd test it out to eliminate any problems w/ the VGA card itself

Hopefully it's not your mobo! Sending my 680i out tomorrow for it's second RMA, YAY!!

Hope the sound card works! I missed the deal on woot, so it's still onboard 7.1 for me, lol.

Shoot. I hope it's not the mobo.

See here's the thing... when I plugged the onboard audio into my speaker it works great. But I know it must have something to do with the SPDIF. The video portion of the HDMI works great... just the sound! Argh! So frustrating!

I'm looking for answers and am running out of ideas.

Hopefully it's not your mobo! Sending my 680i out tomorrow for it's second RMA, YAY!!

Hope the sound card works! I missed the deal on woot, so it's still onboard 7.1 for me, lol.

I'm wondering if you've got the audio setup to use "HDMI audio" instead of the digital or analog outs.

I figured it out. It wasn't anything hardware related. Rather it was the RealTek audio driver, and I got that from another forum. Works like a charm now. Thanks.

I figured it out. It wasn't anything hardware related. Rather it was the RealTek audio driver, and I got that from another forum. Works like a charm now. Thanks.

If you go right to the RealTek site you can always get the latest drivers there and they have s ton more features and digital control.:)

Back