Front USB Crashes computer on GA-P35-DS3L

Moooshe

n00b
Hi,
I thought I'd start a new thread for this because I'm clueless on how to proceed with this problem and Gigabyte support won't help me with this.
First, the basics of my computer:

• GA-P35-DS3L
  • E6750
  • 4x1GB Ocz DDR2-800Mhz
  • Radeon x1950 Pro
  • X-Fi XtremeMusic
  • Antec TruePower Trio 550W
  • CoolerMaster CM690 Case
  • Running Vista Business

My computer crashes sometimes when I connect something to my front USB. I say sometimes because days could go by without it crashing and then in one day I would have to reboot it 10 times because it crashes every time I try to plug something in. It can be anything - from a Flash drive, through a bluetooth adapter and even just a usb cord with nothing connected on the other side. Usually I don't even connect the device - just touching the metal connector on my case with the device's metal usb connector causes my computer to hang. The screen goes black and nothing responds but a hard reset or shutdown. Rear usb ports work fine although I don't plug things there too often...

Here's what I have tried already:
  • Updated bios to F7
  • Updating drivers, hotfixes, SP1
  • Installing XP w/sp2, updated drivers and hotfixes
  • Moving to another case with another power supply - I'm now using an Antec 900 case and BFG 800W PSU.
  • Connecting the case's front usb to other ports on the mobo
  • Using an all-in-one card reader that connects to the same usb port and has a front usb - same problem.
  • Removed 2 dimms
  • increased memory voltage from 1.8 to 1.9, 2.07
NOTHING HELPS. I keep getting those crashes no matter what I do. I contacted gigabyte and they insisted that the problem must be with something else than the board, as it doesn't make sense that all 4 connectors on my board are defective. They suggested that I'd buy a usb header bracket to use in the rear of the case.

ANY input will be greatly appreciated. I cannot even start describing how frustrated I am with this problem, and the fear that accompanies me whenever I want to plug anything to those ports....

You threw me off when you mentioned that just even touching the metal usb connector can cause it to crash, I would normally think that the front usb ports on the case had bad/no grounding, but you switched to a new case and the same thing is happening?

I guess if that is the scenario then I'm guessing damage has been done to the mobo, so replacing it is your only option.

Thanks for the replies guys.
@CptFalcon:
The computer does not reset, but hangs with a black screen. I need to manually reset it.

@tazzmissionx:
Yes, I have tried another case and a card reader (connects to the same port). Both cases are of quality (especially the Antec nine hundred, as you probably know). The Both cases have 8 ping that actually connect to the mobo, of which two (7,8) are marked GND, so I assume it is grounded.

Are you using the front usb ports on the case, or is there a usb port that you are using on the card reader? As you mentioned, the fact that this can happen from you simply making physical contact with the usb port screams grounding issue, and the fact that this is still happening after switching cases and card readers makes me think that the damage has been done to the mobo and needs to be replaced.

I bet the previous case's lack thereof of grounding killed the ports and now it's permanent and it doesn't matter on which case.

@tazzmissionx: I tried both the usb ports on the case and the card reader. I gave the reader as an example of a third device that connects to the mobo via the same layout and gives the same results.

@McCartney: My previous case (CM690) had the same layout for the front usb connector. 8 pins, 2 of which are supposed to be grounding.

I know everything points towards the motherboard, but how can I be sure? I can't even reproduce the outcome every time I try... If I RMA this board, I bet they will not test it again and again to see if it happens. And I do not want to shell out another $90-$100 for a new board...

did you disable 'enable support for legacy usb'? it's not really related but worth a try. if all else fails, simply buy a $2 usb extension cord and bring it from the back to the front. The reason is that it sounds like the front usb might be defective. you could always switch the back connections from the front to see if it's the board or the usb port itself.

Before I bought my mobo I did a research, sometimes this DS3L makes "funny" things when something is connected to the USB ports (especially external HDDs, memory sticks). The second revision for this mobo has mainly changes at the USB headers, so I'd say that your mobo is faulty.
Please re-check the connections order/pins from the mobo to the front USB ports, you could try to move the front USB header to another group of pins if you have.

My silverstone and CM Cosmos S have the 8 pin connector but it's 1 rectangle connector with 7 pins with 1 having the white block in it since it doesn't need to be plugged in as there's only 7 pins..
DUnnno.

Must be a bad board. I have a DS3L with a flash card reader on an internal header working properly.

Would like to know if the OP ever got the problem resolved because I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my computer. I have a GA-P35-DS3 v1.0 and a CM690 and sometimes when I connect something to the front USB header OR the front headphone jacks the computer hangs and the screen goes black. It sound like its resetting but the computer never reboots, I have to turn it off and on again for it to boot.

I see in the other thread that you got the same board back but the issue was fixed. They never told you what they did with it or even acknowledged that there were anything wrong with it to begin with? You tried with different cases and PSUs so it had to be the motherboard right?

Back