UPS PSU Compatibility Shutdown??

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone ever hear about how a compatibility issue between a ups and psu can cuase a psu to randomly shut down under load? I was read xbitlabs psu reviews and they didn't explain it well enough. Something about how when the psu is switched from the mains to batteries underload the psu thinks there is an overload and shutsdown... I think...

The thing is I was having random shutdowns in Crysis and only that game. I have an PC Power Cooling 1KW SR with 8800GTX SLI 680i setup with a 1500avr UPS. Couldn't figure it out.... my best guess is that it was nTune. Since then I uninstalled it but have been too much of a coward to play that game...

Thanks.

Some power supplies with active PFC have a compatibility problem with UPS units that do not output pure sine waves. APC corporation FAQ state that their simulated sine wave UPS units are not suitable for active PFC PSUs.

Seasonic manufactured active PFC power supplies and Corsair branded Seasonics are known to work well with simulated sine wave UPS units. Enermax has a FAQ on their site that states active PFC PSUs must use pure sine wave UPS units but owner's manuals of the new Enermax Modu82+ and Pro82+ lines specifically state that these units are compatible with simulated sine wave units.

I wonder if there is a similar issue with Cyberpower 1500AVrs and Pc Power + Cooling 1KW Sr?

Guess I have to do a little research....

Thanks.

I was able to find out that my Cyberpower PCS1500AVR puts out simulated sine waves. Not sure if thats only when the batteries are running or when the UPS compensates for a brown out. The PC Power 1KW SR utilizes active pfc. I also found out that some guy email pc power and cooling and they told him he should be fine for short term use. Guess that means not running the pc 24/7.

So I guess what this means is that anything can happen. Such that the ups could conceivably trip the psu and cuase it to shut down which is really ironic as I purchased this thing to protect my hardware not roll dice!

Thanks,

Dave.

Back