Abit ip35 Pro
4GB Patriot Viper 1066 RAM
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB
500GB WD disk
Antec Neo 550 PS
Antec 900 Case
ThermalTake Big Typhoon Cooler
Stock Volts

3 hours on Prime95 across all 4 cores and so far so good.

Q9450-34.jpg

you're my new best friend! i've been waiting for 2.5 months for someone else with the abit ip-35 pro and q9450 combo to come along..can you post a screenshot of your voltages from uguru here so i can see them all? i'll do the same once i can get back into my photobucket account for comparison..you should find you can run stable 24/7 at that 3400 which is my common everyday settings. ps- i note you've got eist and cie on on your coretemp screen. it would be great if you could turn those off so we can see temps at the full 8 x 426 ratio (as you can see in your shot, it was running 6 x 426 so the system was not under full load or it would have been at 8x)

tanks and well done:)

OK, CPU-z is hard crashing my system. Turns out it is a known issue with this board. I did turn off EIST and C1E. Here's a shot for you at 3.4GHz.

Q9450-34-1.jpg

thanks for posting that.you see, my sensors are stuck on my 9450 so i didn't have a clue what my temps were like but this gives me some idea. also a good reference point as it appears all your voltages are stock except for your memory voltage..and it's stable at that , right?

now, you're a CI revision, mine's a B1 so i do expect yours to be overclock easier if not better..the question would be..how much better:)

uguru2.jpg
[/IMG]

my uguru at the same speed..i should try stock i guess at 3400..i don't know if i ever did or just made an assumption it wouldn't boot at that:)

This chip does not need much if any VCore to overclock beautifully. The issue is the FSB. I gave it a little voltage bump on the NB and 3.6 is 90 minutes stable on 4 instances of Prime 95. Look how low the actual voltage is to VCore with droop!! Great temps too.

Q9450-36v2.jpg

uguru3.jpg
[/IMG]

this is my screen shot of uguru after adjusting voltages to match yours pretty closely for 3400..running fine:)

notes:

difference between your cpu voltages and vcore and mine is likely due to using different bioses.

bios does not detect fans running as slow as my cpu fan is (500 rpm to your 1300)

Had to nudge MCH one more bump since one CPU core dropped off at 90 minutes, but 4+ hours now of prime stable at 3.6. I think we're good.

There's an incompatibility issue between Uguru and CPU-Z which causes the crash. I noticed your cores seems to have a bit of temp difference, you might wanna lap your heatsink imo.

Pffft, I'm a noob I guess.

Could not break 3.2 prime stable... then I started to have trouble at stock, then below stock!

On a last resort whim after 5 hours of checking everything else (and because this is my first intel build since 478) I thought maybe my cpu had become un-seated or something...

I don't know if it was or not (looked right to me) but I noticed my cpu seemed to have an excessive amount of copper paste on it. Did I really put that much on I thought?

Took about half of it off and now I'm priming the fourth core, so far stable at 3.6 :eek: 1.29v (8-8-8-24 2T) DDR3 @ 1800 !!! Now this is what I'm talk'in 'bout! This is why I got this damn setup!
Only running prime 10 mins a pop for now, will do 2 hours per core later, but so far so good!

Finally broke 20k 3Dmark06... 20079 to be exact (yeah I know - who cares), not bad though with two GTSs and a Q9450 Xeon.

Time to upgrade my sig!
;)

On another note, I do not know if anything is reading the temps right... for example I got two cores at 56c, and two at 47c - but only one core is runing prime at a time! This is with CPUID hardware monitor...

Why not prime all 4 cores at once? I mean, at some point all 4 cores could be in use. Get the 25.xx version of Prime that will do all the cores at once.

Iwas prime stable at 3.6 for 4-5 hours last night before I went to bed. Not bad for a small bump in VCore and NB voltage. In fact the VCore is still running under 1.2V actual. I am pretty pleased. Not even pushing this thing. I think the higher multiplier chips will do 4GHz on air. :)

Hi guys, tenax referred me over here. I just flashed my ip35 pro to the latest beta bios in preparation for the imminent arrival of my X3350. Now I'm getting a C1 error (memory detect). I tried taking out my ballistic 1066 and putting in a kingston hyper-x stick but am still getting the same error. Has anybody experienced this or does anyone have any recommendations? Just so we're clear, I've already resect cmos using the external jumper and I've already manually removed the battery to ensure that cmos was reset. I can't post at all right now.

Heh cranking up those NB voltages :/
GJ. I'm not OC'ing my x9650 until the BIOS for my 790i gets fixed. Then I'll post a true overclock :)

GJ. I'm not OC'ing my x9650 until the BIOS for my 790i gets fixed. Then I'll post a true overclock :)

Played COD4 for 2-3 hours today. No hiccups. Perfectly fine. Haven't had a single issue since bumping the NB just a tad from stock. Actual CPU volts are still less than 1.2V Pretty easy 3.6GHz.

What's wrong with the 790i bios? I just purchased a 790i ultra, and it's still sitting pretty in it's box.

Problem with the 790i is that it is lame sauce with the upper echelon intel procs. It becomes a fucking baby at 10 multi and 1600 fsb. Needs to get fixed.

hmm. I'm hoping for 4GHz on Maximus Formula (starting to think I gots ripped on this board, shoulda shopped around rather then be ood and aaahhd by [H] review and flashy colors).. w/ one of those suckers.

This board posts all the way up to 570Mhz FSB! (have you ever seen a post screen "Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 4.0GHz"? neither had I till two weeks ago). But its only stable at 503... blagh better calm down before I go into a rant.

Anyways, I'm assuming theres hope for a 4GHz Q9450 on X38 and 4X 1gb?

4x1 at 8500 have tonnes of people in trouble on the max formula
anything else you should be safe.

hmm. I'm hoping for 4GHz on Maximus Formula (starting to think I gots ripped on this board, shoulda shopped around rather then be ood and aaahhd by [H] review and flashy colors).. w/ one of those suckers.

This board posts all the way up to 570Mhz FSB! (have you ever seen a post screen "Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 4.0GHz"? neither had I till two weeks ago). But its only stable at 503... blagh better calm down before I go into a rant.

Anyways, I'm assuming theres hope for a 4GHz Q9450 on X38 and 4X 1gb?

Haha, good luck getting a Q9450 anywhere near 4GHz with any RAM or mobo on air dude.

i would say the sweet stable spot so far from roaming around is 3400 to 3600..yep, 3600-3800 is obtainable, but i'm not sure a great idea with voltage tweaks that maybe required for stability..i can do 3800 stable on air..at 1.4+ volts and with my cpu fan cranked up from my preferred 500 rpm to 2300 rpm but for the small benchmarking improvements with the 200 difference, i don't think i'll bother running 24/7 over 3400.

Hi there I have been reading over this thread and others for a while now. I am a first time builder and overclocker so I have learned a lot from everyone here so thanks to everyone for sharing info.

I recently got a ip35 pro and a q9450 for my first build and overclock and it has been a lot of fun so far. Definitely a learning experience. The question I have for you guys is how did you get to 3.4 and 3.6 on such low voltages. My current stress test settings are.

425mhz*8 = 3.4ghz overclock

My voltages are

Vcore-1.3175 1.26 in cpu-z (which leads me to another quick question which of those do I actually be concerned about since the chip is rated for 1.36v max.)

DDR2 2.1v so I am overclocking some ocz reaper ddr2 pc6400 at 800mhz to 840mhz I lowered my timings to 5-5-5-15 and 54tfrc for now to be safe with my overclock

MCH 1.41v I read I should have it this high since I am running all memory slots full with 8gb ram

everything else is at stock.

My temps on realtemp show 53-53-54-54 does that sound reasonable for temps. I read 65c is where you should start to get concerned.

My thought is maybe because I have 8gb of ram I am having to crank my volts up? What else could it be to make me have to go so much higher just to be at 3.4 where you guys are getting it at stock volts? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a total newbie so go easy on me if I missed something obvious. Thanks in advance.

MCH 1.41v I read I should have it this high since I am running all memory slots full with 8gb ram

This is not true. I am running 4x 2GB of G.Skill PC8000 RAM with no problems at default MCH voltage. But this G.Skill RAM is rated at 1.8v, OCZ Reaper is 2.1v. So in the end it depends on memory.

What else could it be to make me have to go so much higher just to be at 3.4 where you guys are getting it at stock volts?

I am running my Q9450 only at 400FSB (so 3.2 Ghz) and I also need additional voltage to be stable so I wonder about this too.

This is not true. I am running 4x 2GB of G.Skill PC8000 RAM with no problems at default MCH voltage. But this G.Skill RAM is rated at 1.8v, OCZ Reaper is 2.1v. So in the end it depends on memory.

Huh? I couldn't find 2GB PC8000 sticks on G.Skill's web site with 1.8V. Sounds like RAM Nirvana. Can you tell me which ones you bought?

Robert

I am running my Q9450 only at 400FSB (so 3.2 Ghz) and I also need additional voltage to be stable so I wonder about this too.

Hmm I may try lowering my mch then once I can get the vcore stable with prime for 15 hrs at 3.4 I ran prime last night before I went to bed and it had crashed after 5-6hrs when I woke up this morning. My vcore was at 1.33 and mch at 1.41. My temps are 56c under full load so I guess I just keep bumping the vcore until I get around 1.365v What is your vcore at for your 3.2 overclock if you dont mind me asking.

Only reason I have 8gb of ram is the rendering and 3d software I use chews through a lot of ram. I also need it to be stable for days at a time when rendering animations etc I may end up taking out two of the sticks and go down to 4gb to see if that helps. Sure would like to keep the 8 though because I will need it with the type of work I do.

Back