Dell 2407WFP Issue with Power Button

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I'm just checking to see if anyone else has this problem:

I got my Dell 2407WFP last May, and I absolutely love it. However, I have been noticing over time that the power button got looser and less responsive, sometimes taking me quite a few tries to get it turned on. This week, it just gave up entirely and broke from its normal position. It hasn't fallen out yet, but it will freely rotate in the housing and will no longer turn the display on or off without about 3 minutes of coaxing.

My parents have a 17" Dell ultrasharp with a different type of power button, but the same problem. The button is broken, and they have to leave their display on 24/7. I paid a good deal of money for this display, and I'm rather miffed that the power button of all things has died on me. As of now, I'm forced to leave it on. Is there a fix for this?

I'd love to contact Dell and get a replacement, but I really don't want to send my monitor off for 2-3 weeks. Is there a way to glue it back on or make it sit correctly? I'm reluctant to try too much, because I don't want to make it worse, but this is an expensive monitor, and my parents' was too, at the time. The fact that both of them have problems with the power button leads me believe that Dell didn't do a perfect job designing that system.

Have others seen this issue, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks!

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032290059 said:
I'd love to contact Dell and get a replacement, but I really don't want to send my monitor off for 2-3 weeks.
Dell has advanced replacement. They send you a replacement, and you put the old monitor in the replacement box and send it back.

Happened with mine, the button just needs to be in the correct orientation for it to switch on. I do have a four-year warranty on it, so might as well hold out for a bit and hope I get a 2408! :D

Dell has advanced replacement. They send you a replacement, and you put the old monitor in the replacement box and send it back.

That sounds like a cool idea... I also had a problem with HD component input and an XBOX 360 where the system worked fine on a TV, but when it was plugged into my monitor, it displayed all green with just an outline of what was supposed to be displayed. Figured maybe I had faulty HD component inputs. I didn't sweat it because I never really use them, but whatever...

What if I don't like my replacement? (ie. it has dead pixels or something) Can I send it back and opt for another one? I'd hate to trade in a perfectly good (but broken in an annoying way) monitor for one that has a functional power button but doesn't display as well...

I have a recent post relating to this around here. My A04 2407WFP's button did the same thing. Called up Dell and they replaced it with a 2408WFP. I bought my 2407WFP from their Small Business Store online though. When I call them about this monitor they always transfer me to SB's customer care which seems to be able to do more than their home customer care.

I have a recent post relating to this around here. My A04 2407WFP's button did the same thing. Called up Dell and they replaced it with a 2408WFP. I bought my 2407WFP from their Small Business Store online though. When I call them about this monitor they always transfer me to SB's customer care which seems to be able to do more than their home customer care.

Did you ask for the replacement? I'm not really in any hurry to swop it, the button is holding out for me

hmm slight thread hijack in progress ;)

When I called, I told them what was happening and just politely asked if there was any way they could replace it with a 2408WFP. The lady was pretty nice and agreed.

That's pretty nice... I guess I'll have to check out the replacement program before my warranty expires.

*sigh*... I hate to send it back and make Dell eat the cost for such a small thing, but seriously...the power button shoudn't break before even a year is out.

Back