My experiences with several monitors (24"-27.5")

Bdbtoys

Limp Gawd
-Updated 4-19-08-

I figured I would share my experiences with all of you on my recent monitor dilemma. The goal was to walk into the local retailer, pick up a flat panel to replace my old 21”CRT (20” viewable), and go on with my life. I wanted to switch over to a widescreen for the newer games and for extra room for applications. I should have done more research than I had done before picking one up, but there is a lot of FUD out there for the price range I was looking at (my budget is very limited) and felt I needed to go in and look at the monitors first-hand. Well, on with the fun…

I picked up the 28” (cough…27.5”) HannsG HG-281DJB first. I have to admit this monitor looked good… at first. After picking up this monitor I noticed that this was going to be more difficult than I thought. Even though the image looked great, I noticed that the extremely dark colors had the look of a photo negative (particularly in shadows of games). Then the deal breaker hit… I ran an old 4:3 game and found it stretched to the size of the screen. There was no way to set the scaling on the monitor or thru the Nvidia drivers (you could TRY to set, but after accepting the changes it would revert back). I say more about this in note 1.

Then I picked up 24” Gateway FHD2400. This is a monitor with all the bells and whistles you could ask for… PIP, 1:1, fixed aspect ratio, 90deg rotation, lots of inputs, ect. The biggest drawback was the size and the color. Compared to the 281, the color saturation was a little over the top for my taste and I preferred the image quality of the 281 more. I also noticed that the FHD felt a little unresponsive compared to the 281, I found out why a little later. I also want to note that the response time was notably slower on the FHD as well.

(Note 1: At this point I realized there was a relation to the Nvidia drivers being able to control fixed aspect ratio and the connection used on the monitor. It seems that if you used a DVI to HDMI cable, you could not control the fixed aspect ratio with the Nvidia drivers. I was able to confirm this with the FHD2400. I used the DVI to DVI cable and could select any scaling option in the drivers. I then used the DVI to HDMI cable and none of the forced scaling options would work in the drivers.)

(Note 2: I also noticed screen size starting to have a major impact on my decision. At default resolution 1920x1200 the 281 was easier to read web pages without messing with font sizes… go figure. The FHD was a pain to read black on white lettering for long periods of time without changing the font size.)

I then made my first hard call and the FHD went back. However at this time I had new options appear. I saw that a line of 25.5” monitors were just released. Me being a fan of the LG optical drives, figured they earned my trust to buy their monitor unseen, so I traded up to the 26” (cough… 25.5”) LG W2600H. Oh, what a mistake. The colors were so saturated you could barely pick out any details in areas were the other monitors shined. The response time was also notably slower the than 281. The monitor I picked up was also very hot, and had that burning-in smell of electronics. I was sick at the time so I may have been a little more sensitive to it; however it was to the point where I couldn’t stand being in the same room for longer than an hour (and to note that the smell was strong from down the hall). The temporal dithering was excessive to say the least, I could notice the static easily on darker images and could see the pattern pop up on occasion during normal use (but that’s the price you pay for the super high Contrast Ratio Rating, which IMO is a bit overrated). On a positive note, I was able to do 1:1 via the drivers and scaled 4:3 thru the monitor itself and the 25.5 was a nice compromise for size compared to the 24” & 27.5” models. One thing to note on this monitor is that even though the instructions stated it comes with a DVI to DVI cable, it did not. However the retailer was nice enough to include one at no extra charge. In the end, this one went back without much of a fight.

But here is where another option popped up; the new 28” (um…still 27.5”) Hannspree HF-289HJB was in. I thought this was going to end my troubles and life would get back to normal… nope. This thing was basically the same as the 281 with a couple notable exceptions. I compared these side-by-side and even though the 281 had a better viewing area and had a better appearance for the most part, the 289 ran circles around the 281 with the dark shades (the negative look was gone in this version). However I was still concerned that scaling was not available thru DVI to HDMI cable or the VGA connection (they do support scaling for HDMI & Component signals but that didn’t help me out). At the end of this round, the clear winner was the 289. (Update 4-19-08, I heard that a user was able to get DVI-HDMI scaling to work using the new Vista64 Drivers, however I had no way to confirm this after the fact.)

With the 281 gone, another option appeared… the 26” Samsung 2693HM (um 25.5”, someone should teach these marketing guys how to measure). I had to say I was very impressed right off the bat. This was a large monitor that included the ability to rotate 90degrees and could to scaled 4:3 in the monitor itself. However, even though it was connected via a DVI cable, the scaling options in the Nvidia driver would not stick… so no 1:1 for me. I was satisfied with the way all of the popular resolutions scaled (640, 800, 1024, 1280, & 1600) so the lack of the 1:1 was not a deal-breaker. The 2693 also had a better response time than the 289 as well. The only other drawback was that there was a small amount of temporal dithering going on. For the most part it wasn’t much of an issue, but every once and a while I would see it. (Update 4-19-08, The temporal dithering is a bit more annoying than I originally thought. In certain instances the dithering pattern can be seen as clear as day. I am still happy with my purchase, however I am wondering if the 289 would have been the better purchase for a primary monitor.)

(Note 3: It was at this point where I started to notice all the guys that preached about input lag (a thing I did not check for coming from the CRT). I started to do tests with my old monitor and checked the lag between the CRT, 289, & 2693. The 289 was slightly faster being within 0-1 frames (@60Hz) of the CRT, where-as the 2693 was between 0-2 frames of the CRT.)

So the next call had to be made and out went the 289 (the 281 & 289 put up a really good fight, if I could have got the 4:3 scaling to work I would have kept these without hesitation). (Update 4-19-08, I wish I was able to test this out with the new drivers that supposedly fixed the DVI-HDMI scaling issue. If it would have worked the 2693 would have lost this battle.)

I then started to wonder if me being sick had anything to do with my negative impression of the LG or if I had a lemon. So I picked up another one (yep, the second one was missing the DVI cable too). The first thing I noticed was the monitor didn’t seem nearly as hot and the electronic smell of the other one was pretty much not there. But the colors were still oversaturated and the 4:3 scaling didn’t look as good as the 2693. Even though it had 1:1, that didn’t save it. Another thing was the input lag was more than the 2693 (1-2 frames more). I didn’t test it against the CRT mainly because I didn’t feel like dragging it back out again. The icing on the cake was that this was the first monitor I received that had a pixel issue (there was a pixel issue that would show up on grey images where the pixel would be bright green… ug). I preferred the image of the 2693 more so this one didn’t make it 24 hours.

In the end the Samsung 2693HM came out the winner for my needs. It plays the old 4:3 games without stretching them, rotates to portrait, and the image quality is very good for the price. I do want to point out that if you have Vista you will probably want to skip the programs on the disk and use the ones on the website if you have to. I found very good results without having to tune with the programs. The only real negative thing about the monitor as that the controls are practically impossible to read in low light, however that was not even a slight consideration in my decision. To solve the issue I put some small foil stickers where the text of the “buttons” are so I could clearly see where to push (the buttons are touch sensitive so without the stickers or being are to see the text you didn’t know where exactly to push).

Please note that all tests were done with a 8800, I wouldn’t have minded testing this out with an ATI card for purpose of being able to give out more info, however I never intended on doing a flat panel review to begin with. I just touched on some of my experiences with these monitors, if you want more detail about a particular one vs. another I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Also, I performed all reasonable calibrations that I could with the monitors, first by setting on the monitor using various test images, and if I wasn’t satisfied redoing the calibrations with the included software. I do not have the means to try hardware color calibrations; however I analyze color on product & samples at work on a regular basis so some say I have a better than average appreciation for color.

I would like to give thanks to the very understanding people at the local retail store who made this whole ordeal a positive experience. I passed along some of my findings to them so they could help their customers find the LCD screen they are after a bit better (to prevent a repeat), and is the basic reason I posted this for others to be able to make an informed decision before purchasing.

I would also like to give some thanks to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/index.php for providing the community with a nice manual calibration site and http://tft.vanity.dk/ with the excellent stopwatch.

The comparisons I made between the various units were done with the limited tools and resources I have available and should be looked at as such. Another person may receive different results on a different setup.

It would be nice to see the [H] crew do a full featured 25”-30” LCD round-up in the near future for others (hint-hint).

1 question how is your back?

seriously thanks for doing the leg work for us... now I have to convince myself that a 27.5 is enough...

1 question how is your back?

seriously thanks for doing the leg work for us... now I have to convince myself that a 27.5 is enough...

No problem. I figured my headaches could help others.

Back isn't too bad :D LCD are super light compared to the CRT I removed and then brought back for testing again...ug.

The widescreen games I did try with the 27.5" looked great, however at the distance I'm sitting at it was almost too big. Key word was "almost"... if the 289 had fixed aspect ratio I would have stuck with it.

my sister just bought a dell 2707wfp and i'll probably borrow it to be tested too...i wonder what panel it is.. i may just shell out an extra if that proves to be worth it..

Thank you very much for the tests and your time for sharing with us.

How does the Samsung 26" look in low resolutions (1440x900 or 1680x1050), in games?

If you have a camera, could you post a picture or two of the Samsung's case? I've only seen it in pretty pictures on the official site, but none in real life, so to speak...:)

my sister just bought a dell 2707wfp and i'll probably borrow it to be tested too...i wonder what panel it is.. i may just shell out an extra if that proves to be worth it..

The Dell 2707WFP is a Smasung S-PVA, which is a very good panel, but it is also known for high input lag.

Hope that helps

Dave

Updated 5-1-08 I re-ran the tests again with 175.12 Nvidia drivers. All changes are noted in Green

DG25: 1440x900 is not a listed resolution by default (1440x900 now works) and 1680x1050, 1680x1050 doesn't look very good (Still blurry). I should also point out that they added custom resolutions in the drivers now so that you can make more custom resolutions than the stock ones I listed. See more below...

Here are the resolutions tested in Guild Wars (same that are availible in Windows) using the DVI cable. The findings are arranged in this order... Format // Resolution // Wide Screen Mode // Normal Mode

5:4 // 1280x1024 // Stretched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
5:3 // 1280x768 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
16:9 // 1280x720 // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit) // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit)
16:9 // 1360x768 // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit) // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit)
16:9 // 1920x1080 // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit) // Bars on all 4 sides (Streched to Fit)
16:10 // 960x600 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides (No longer Selectable by default)
16:10 // 1280x800 // Scaled to Fit (Bars on the 2 sides) // Scaled to Fit (Bars on the 2 sides)
16:10 // 1440 x 900 // Scaled to Fit // Scaled to Fit
16:10 // 1680x1050 // Bars on all 4 sides (Scaled to Fit) // Bars on all 4 sides (Scaled to Fit)
16:10 // 1920x1200 // Perfect // Perfect
4:3 // 800x600 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1024x768 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1152x864 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1280x960 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1600x1200 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled) (Perfect)
?? // 1176x664 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
?? // 1768x992 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides

The "Bars on all 4 Side" comments need further explaining. There was roughly about a 1/2" bar at top & bottom and a 3/4" on the left & right sides. I am not sure why they didn't scale the image so it touched the top and bottom, but thats the way they did it. These also looked less clear than the other resolutions. So, if you are getting this monitor for the resolutions that had "Bars on all 4 Sides" you may not be happy. However if you're looking for a great gaming monitor in which you may be stuck with 4:3 you should be pretty happy, as all of those resolutions looked very good whether stretched or scaled.

I'll get some pictures posted later tonight (It is quite a sight in portrait mode).

That's not normal for 16:10 resolutions. It's a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor, so in all 16:10 resolutions there shouldn't be any black bars, unless you set it to 1:1 aspect ratio.

That's not normal for 16:10 resolutions. It's a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor, so in all 16:10 resolutions there shouldn't be any black bars, unless you set it to 1:1 aspect ratio.

My thoughts exactly... just reporting what it is. (It is not set to 1:1)

I went through a similar routine. I went from a Samsung 245BW to a Gateway FHD2400 to a Westinghouse L2410NM to a LG L246WP before settling down. While I still have some issues with the LG, they're very minor and it beats all of the other ones. I think the only way to improve over the LG L246WP is to go for an IPS screen, but considering I got it new for $275 I don't think the price jump to $700 would be worth it at all for the minor improvements.

I'm going to have to pospone the pictures until tomorrow. My camera is not giving a good image in the low light.

You mentioned you are using an 8800 video card. For scaling what have you set the card to? Ie. "NVidia scaling with aspect" etc...?

If you are native resolution, and you try to change the scaling behavior, it won't let you. You have to first switch to a resolution and change the scaling behavior in the nVidia control panel under "Flat Panel Scaling".

Theoretically, it should allow you to customize the behavior on a "per resolution" basis. Also, from reading the manual, there is some A/V mode that is available, which apparently works for HD type resolutions like 480p, 720p, 1080p,etc... I wonder if it's available for DVI as well? I think the manual mentioned that it was off by default on DVI.

You might want to play with those and see what happens. It looks like the 26" has the 97% gamut panel which should be good for color reproduction.

The reason I'm asking is to find out how this monitor behaves under different settings. For example I always set the card to scale, as using the monitor to interpolate can add input lag. When the card is set to scale it does not affect the card's performance as I believe there is a chip in there to do it via hardware.

Hope you are still enjoying it, and thanks for the great review. I hope your efforts have made you happy.

10e

DG25: 1440x900 is not a listed resolution by default, 1680x1050 doesn't look very good. See more below...

Here are the resolutions tested in Guild Wars (same that are availible in Windows) using the DVI cable. The findings are arranged in this order... Format // Resolution // Wide Screen Mode // Normal Mode

5:4 // 1280x1024 // Stretched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
5:3 // 1280x768 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
16:9 // 1280x720 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
16:9 // 1360x768 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
16:9 // 1920x1080 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
16:10 // 960x600 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
16:10 // 1280x800 // Scaled to Fit // Scaled to Fit
16:10 // 1680x1050 // Bars on all 4 sides // Bars on all 4 sides
16:10 // 1920x1200 // Perfect // Perfect
4:3 // 800x600 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1024x768 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1152x864 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1280x960 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled)
4:3 // 1600x1200 // Streched to Fit // Bars on L&R Sides (Scaled) (Perfect)

The "Bars on all 4 Side" comments need further explaining. There was roughly about a 1/2" bar at top & bottom and a 3/4" on the left & right sides. I am not sure why they didn't scale the image so it touched the top and bottom, but thats the way they did it. These also looked less clear than the other resolutions. So, if you are getting this monitor for the resolutions that had "Bars on all 4 Sides" you may not be happy. However if you're looking for a great gaming monitor in which you may be stuck with 4:3 you should be pretty happy, as all of those resolutions looked very good whether stretched or scaled.

I'll get some pictures posted later tonight (It is quite a sight in portrait mode).

-10e

The settings in the "Change flat panel scaling" will not stick no matter which resolution I initiated it from on the 2693. Trust me, I tried. BTW: on other monitors where it worked, I could change the scaling option even if I was in native (it just wouldn't display differently until you switch resolutions).

As far as the input lag goes, I tested with both native and scaled resolutions and found the 2693 to be always within 2 frames of the CRT (If I remember correctly it averaged within 1 frame for the majority of the tests (approx 16ms).

The color is vibrant without being oversaturated (Unlike some 97 Gamuts I seen).

For now this is the best monitor for my usage. I'll be using 1920x1200 85% of the time, with the need to be able to load up old 4:3 games for the last 15% (It scales 4:3 really well).

Thanks for the pics.

Too bad this monitor doesn't work well with 1680x1050. Not all games play at a decent fps in 1920, so sometimes i must lower the resolution.

I just got a 2493HM and I am disappointed to find I can't use the "Change flat panel scaling" setting either. I want to run at some lower 16:10 resolutions and this monitor does not scale them well at all (blurry). It does 4:3 pretty good but not 16:10. Did you ever find a fix for this? I've tried everything I can and I am out of ideas. Because of this I might have to return the monitor, I play a lot of games on this system and not all of them can handle 1920x1200.

Thanks for the help.

*sigh* I got the 28" Hanns-G 281DJB lcd. Be warned, mine just blew 2 days ago. I just turned it on one morning to play UT3 and it made a loud popping sound. When I turned it off it still started popping. I had to pull the A/C cord. Good monitor and I like the image quality for the price I paid but damn, it crapped out in less than 6 months. Now I cannot recommend this monitor to anyone. Stick with the brand name LCDs even if you have to pay a little more.

I'm running the new 175.12 Nvidia drivers and the 16:9 displays differently than it did before. It now stretches the screen vertically on the resolutions tested, and no longer has the 4 bars on all sides (something must have changed in how the video card is outputting the image). I also noticed that the 16:9 resolutions look better than they did before too. I don't have enough time to check now, but I'll re-run the tests I did previously and note the changes. 1440x900 is also working now by default (where-as it wasn't before).

@AstroCat - If you can't wait until my posting later try the 175.12's if your running a compatible Nvidia card.

@HardwareGuru - (I feel your pain... & thank you for your input about the 281.) The last time I heard a loud popping sound is when my PSU went out many years ago. I heard arcing so I looked behind the computer to figure out where the noise was coming from and saw flashing arcs through the exhaust. I imediated shut down and unplugged the PSU. Luckily I caught it before it did damage to anything else.

Thanks for the Review!
I personally am looking for a 27-37" monitor, so size does matter.
I am upgrading from a 24" @ home, but I use a 30" @ work, so 28" isn't that big to me.

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for the review. I purchased one of those new 28" Hannspree's and had issues with it looking very washed out at the bottom of the screen. I returned it and got a 2693hm. The first had several dead pixels and the second had two stuck white pixels that I was able to massage out. It works great. The color is way better and it actually fits better on my desk.

Back