DinovoMini-review --DialUp be warned!

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
I just got the Logitech DiNovo Mini from Dell ( I know, ew, but it was %20 off there), and I thought I would do a little review here.

First of all I Love this thing. My previous solution for controlling my HTPC was a Logitech LX710 keyboard and mouse combo. While it did the trick, it was bulky and clumsy at times. I got a remote, and while it, again, worked, the IR wasn't the best and it felt odd, and the interface reaction was slow.

So I have been looking for some kind of in-between device for a while, and after reading and watching some of the reviews from CES and CeBIT, i bit on the Dinovo Mini.

SO first, unpacking.
If you have purchased any of the newer Logitech higher end products, you will recognize the packaging used here. It's very similar to what my VX Nano and MX 5500 Revolution Desktop came in (I might be a logitech fan... no?). The cardboard is smooth but sturdy, with an internal structure of plastic molding around the different components.

Included in the box are: The DiNovo Mini, the a/c adapter, the setpoint software cd, an instruction manual, and a cleaning cloth.
DSC02149.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

The Mini ships with Setpoint version 4.24.99, which according to the auto-update tool is the newest version.
Now, I can remember when setpoint was a heavy, somewhat invasive tool, but it has improved. After declining to install Yahoo toolbar and a messaging service from Logitech to let me know of product updates etc, installation took approximately 3 minutes.

The setpoint software is easy to use and intuitive, if somewhat ugly (I think). It's responsive and does not seem to bog down my system (specs below) to any extent.
There is not much in the way of customization(nor is it really needed).
setpoint.jpg

Now, on to the unit.
The Mini is surprisingly light, though deceptively thick compared to what it looks like online. The backlighting is nice and bright, and is supposedly able to cater its brightness to the room's ambient lighting. Cool.
The lighting changes depending on the mode you have it set in. (see video below)
DSC02166.jpg

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02161.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

The tactile feel of the keys is nice, with a determined and specific push needed to strike a key. I don't expect any accidental key strokes.

The touchpad is...eh, OK at best. I think it's issues derive from it's dual function. When you are in PC mode, it acts like the touchpad of a laptop. Clicking it is a left click (a function also served by the left thumb button). Good idea, but this thing is pretty small (think ~ a Susan B Anthony dollar coin), and curls up at the edges. As a result, you have to do a lot of stroking to move the mouse across an entire screen. Especially on a 42" screen like my HT system has. Also, near the edges, the sensitivity seems to fade a bit. Playing with acceleration settings on the pointer may solve this...
DSC02152.jpg

In Media mode, the touchpad turns into a d-pad of sorts. It only senses clicks in the up, down, left and right directions, and stroking the pad does nothing. Your left click is solely mapped to the left thumb button.
This mode really works well, as the buttons are very responsive and work well within the confines of Windows Media Center. WMC's actions were quick and immediate, with no sign of delay or lag (like with my old remote).
DSC02153.jpg

And because I am cool, here are some videos I made, playing with Pinnacle and my Sony camera. (Sorry about the quality, it was made with a Sony digital camera, not camcorder)

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Modred189/?action=view&current=overview.flv

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Modred189/?action=view&current=Logitechopen.flv

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Modred189/?action=view&current=Logitechclose.flv

Test system:
Core 2 DUo E6300@stock
Dynex 400w psu
3gb DDR2
300gb Seagate (will be upgraded soon)
BFG 8600 GTS OC
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Just a fyi, these guys work really well as multimedia presenter...

Overall, I would say 4.5/5

Are you able to change what the media keys do in the set point software? If you can, then is there a way to setup profiles so that if X program launched then certain keys do something different.

Yea, there are three media keys that can be customized, but it doesn't look to be on a per-program basis.

Is it just me? Or are the following quotes from the packaging a bit contradicting? :confused:
"Designed to Move You" and "Total Control of Your PC Entertainment from Your Sofa"
:rolleyes::p

Nice review modred. Getting one for the carputer, and might get a second for the HTPC. I haven't even got mine yet, but am in love with this thing already.

Back