Lian Li PC - A7010 SATA Hot Swap HDD Cage

Velocities

Limp Gawd
Wow my jaw just drop when I see this PC Case! I alway wanted a hot swappable Sata HDD Cage ever since I own the Mac Pro. HP Black Bird have this feature too, but their Computer is way too expensive. Can anyone tell me how this would work? Does the PC Case come with the built - in SATA Hot Swap HDD Cage? You just have to connect it to your Motherboard? Will an ABIT IP35 Pro motherboard work or I have to buy another Motherboard to support this features? Someone give me more info please, I really want this PC Case bad!

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/a7010/a7010f05.jpg

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/a7010/a7010f04.jpg

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

Is it really hot swappable? I thought it was just a feature to reduce cable clutter and stuff. You would need like a door or something on the side to use it anyway which isnt that slick.

anyone know if this can be an upgrade for other lian li cases?

What does the cage in the very top left of the case hold?

The one in the top? You can use that to hold 3 more hard drives (with the drive kit) if you choose to bottom mount your PSU, or you can run dual PSUs, or just use the fan module kit that goes where the PSU would mount.

3 more hard drives

Maximum capacity for this case is 18 hard drives using 5 in 3 and 3 in 2 hotswap racks in the 5.25" bays.

got to love the disc.

It not able luxury, or costliness, PC-A7010 equipped SATA HDD Raid HDD cage to help your life easier. You can have more time to enjoy your life, no more working with wire. It also features Raid function. ( Still need the support from the M/B or SATA Raid Card chipset)

i like the front panel version.

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/a7110/a7110q01.jpg

anyone have a source for these?

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

No one has them in stock yet but they're going out to reviewers so there should be some reviews up soon.

i like the front panel version.

That is actually the PC-A7110, same thing as the PC-A7010 except for the obvious door and the measurements. The PC-A7010 is 220 x 595 x 590mm (w,h,d) while the PC-A7110 is 220 x 595 x 615mm (w,h,d)

OMG I am all over this
best thing I've seen in a long time
just hope it works well and cost doesn't exceed $500

This is really cool. I always wondered why this hasn't been an option since the inception of SATA drives, since they are hot swappable supposedly. Seems like an SATA drive could be used like a USB key for the most part. Anyways, nice find OP, hope to see this as an add-in for older cases too.

This is really cool. I always wondered why this hasn't been an option since the inception of SATA drives, since they are hot swappable supposedly. Seems like an SATA drive could be used like a USB key for the most part. Anyways, nice find OP, hope to see this as an add-in for older cases too.

The drive cage is actually a Lian-Li part. Should be part # EX-H33 although it is not yet available on their website but should be in the next few weeks as they slowly trickle out their new stuff.

I want that case... but it'll be way too much money... I wish you could be stylish and not have to spend a lot... -sigh-

The drive cage is actually a Lian-Li part. Should be part # EX-H33 although it is not yet available on their website but should be in the next few weeks as they slowly trickle out their new stuff.

where you find all this?

i miss the inverted atx though
True. But the A series never really went in to inverted ATX. It was usually the V series.

Is it really hot swappable? I thought it was just a feature to reduce cable clutter and stuff. You would need like a door or something on the side to use it anyway which isnt that slick.
Isn't the hot swap feature a function of the controller? AHCI and all that?

mmmm hotlinking pictures is the new hawtness...

seriously though host your own pics, do you like your bandwidth stolen?

Isn't the hot swap feature a function of the controller? AHCI and all that?
They're calling it some kinda hotswap thing, but it just looks like a HDD cage with a backplane to me.

There's a little more info and pics here.

I really like the looks of some of those new cases, but I bought my A10-B because it's the last case I'll need for a loooong time....that's what I told my wife last year.

Now, what's a good excuse for case upgrading? :p

A little more info from the Lian Li site.....

It not able luxury, or costliness, PC-A7010 equipped SATA HDD Raid HDD cage to help your life easier. You can have more time to enjoy your life, no more working with wire. It also features Raid function. ( Still need the support from the M/B or SATA Raid Card chipset)

I guess they won't be winning the truth in advertising award this year? :rolleyes:

main this I like about these cases and something that's an advantage over the EX-H33 or any other hotswap cage I've seen is since the drives come in from the side, the airflow isn't obstructed by the hotswap backplane

There are different types of SWAP: HOT, WARN, and COLD. And I do believe for a true "hot-swap" This is controlled by a controller on the pc board.

There are different types of SWAP: HOT, WARN, and COLD. And I do believe for a true "hot-swap" This is controlled by a controller on the pc board.

:D

Sorry, I've never heard of a warmswap or coldswap. Did you just make those up? :D
Even if ya didn't, they are advertising hot swap.....not warm, cold, tepid, or freezing. :D

You can talk semantics all ya want, but calling a HDD cage with a backplane "hot swappable" is stretching the truth, and confusing.

what are you guys talking about?
SATA is hot swappable by design, meaning you can plug drives in while the power is on
you don't need any kind of cage or backplane, these just make it practical to do so since you wouldn't want to be jerking around your hard drive cage while the drives have power

SATA is hot swappable by design, meaning you can plug drives in while the power is on

I think the rub comes in, when some connotations of hotswap include the operating system recognizing the HD immediately and automatically. Technically, AFAIK, all SATA ports should be able to do that, but many aren't enabled from the get-go.

I think Lian Li incorporated that "Buzz" word as a marketing tool that will create some confusion.

I'm admiring the new aluminum buttons. and the new esata options int he front. Still looking for that all-black aluminum case. Currently have all slots filled in my pc-a10b, 7x dvd drives, 6x sata drives, dual-psus.

I'm admiring the new aluminum buttons. and the new esata options int he front. Still looking for that all-black aluminum case. Currently have all slots filled in my pc-a10b, 7x dvd drives, 6x sata drives, dual-psus.
why so many dvd drives?

why so many dvd drives?

If you take a guess you'll probably get it right ;)

I wonder how the connectors of the "hot swappable" look like, it might save me room for the 7 drives, though it might not fit height wise since they're catered to hard drives.

Just my $0.02...

I love this thing..

Never have to pull off the side of my case either.

problem with those is they are loud and expensive
reason they're loud is the airflow is poor due to the design so they have to use more powerful fans
better airflow is the main advantage of having the side entry
yeah you have to open the case, but big deal, how often are you replacing drives?

Yea, I decided hot-swap bays weren't worth the money...

It's still a cool idea by LianLi, as long as it doesn't bring the cost of the cases up much I'm all for it...

Hi guys,

I just got the PC-A7010B, and it's very good indeed. It costs me $479 over here in Singapore, so that's about US$350. Should be able to get for even less due to import taxes and what not. Great case, love the drive rail designs for both IDE and SATA drives(they're different, but they both work). The removable tray is easy to slide out too, and the whole thing just oozes quality. This is my first Lian Li so I'm not used to such good craftsmanship :)

However, there are a couple of things I didn't like about it
1) With a HDD cage on top and a PSU at the bottom, the motherboard area isn't big enough for large mobos and large HSFs installed. I have a DFI X48-T2R with a Tuniq Tower, and it was hard to fit the installed mobo tray back into the case. The Tuniq Tower would keep hitting the bottom of the drive cage.
2) The input power of the SATA drive cages accept standard molex connectors instead of SATA power connectors. This means guys with split rail PSUs (like my Epsilon 600W) might have potential problems with unbalanced rail loading. The rail with all the molex connectors would be loaded heavily, but the rail with all the SATA connectors would be virtually unloaded.
3) This is perhaps more of my mobo problem, but the 8pin mobo power connector is located at the top left corner in my case, so it was tough to route it there. I got it in the end, but it was tough with the mobo already mounted to the tray.

Back