Verizon Sues Time Warner

Tim

Supreme [H]ardness
The ongoing battle of FiOS versus regular cable continues. Today, it seems as though Verizon has taken issue over some of the claims made in some Time Warner advertisements.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Verizon claims that Time Warner’s ad falsely suggests several facts: that a satellite dish is required by FiOS for TV service, that it cannot bundle video, Internet and phone service and that Time Warner’s fiber optics use predates Verizon’s.

I saw several of those ads and knew there would be trouble for Time Warner making those claims. Verizon is gonig to take them to the cleaners.

I saw several of those ads and knew there would be trouble for Time Warner making those claims. Verizon is gonig to take them to the cleaners.

does it really matter? I mean if they smear Verizons name and make them look bad the damage is already done....

The cable companies know they are in trouble, its just acts of desperation.

When I heard TWC advertisement touting their "fiber optic network" I knew they considered Verizon FiOS a real threat... which means it must really be that good. I'm sure they're refering to their internal infrastructure and backbone. So not lieing, but deceptive. I haven't heard the other claims.

yeah i know time warner rolled out a lot of fiber before they started offering cable internet. too bad they didnt bring it to the house.

I hope this makes time warner go bye bye, because that would be a godsend for me. Because any other cable provider is better than they are regarding internet speeds and cable choices.

I think what hurts Verizon more is their own slowness in making FiOS widely available.Their DSL service isn't all that great,cable has them beat there,and many people,me included,are tired of waiting for FiOS.

Fiber gets me 20 down/50 up. It's not cheap though. Cable will have to start competing on price since their speed cant touch that.

There's no chance of FIOS or FTTC here. We're stuck with 20 year old copper planted in the ground and COX is only doing repairs on it, no upgrading/replacement. As it is I have a hard time getting basic cable and cable modem without fuzzy channels and data loss.

Why did I drop Optimum online? Cause cable SUCKS!! I got tired of calling them to reset my set top box every other month!!

FiOS ROCKS!!! Cable sucks!!

FiOS >>>>> Cablevision/Optimum online

Cable can make all the bullshit commercials they want. They SUCK!!

Comcast did the same thing here in Redmond WA for a few months. They had ads on buses and TV touting their optical network. "We already have an optical network" is what they said.

Funny, the cable going into my house is copper and they could NEVER deliver on the bandwidth they sold. I paid for 10mbps, rarely got more than 6mbps.

FiOS? 15mbps both ways and no traffic shaping BS.

The cable guys are scared of Verizon. Verizon is betting big on their giant manly optical mega pipe. Meanwhile Comcast and the others are starting to realize that letting their infrastructure decay for twenty years and thinking their monopoly and franchise deals were safe was a stupid move.

I love FiOS.

It's going to be a very quick case.. maybe settle in like 2 years. (for companies this size, that is quick)

Cable companies use Fiber, yes, but not to your house.
Did Cable Companies use fiber before phone companies? well, I don't know, but Optical Fiber like you see today was developed at Bell Labs. Seems closer to Telephone than TV.. Especially since Cable has been totally Analog until a couple years ago, and Telephones have had a digital backbone since the late 80s.

I have FiOS 50 miles north and 50 miles to the south. No one will commit to my area. I expect it to be a huge battle over this spot as it is one of the fastest growing areas in my state. Luckily, my cable does deliver the speeds they claim...for now.

The cable companies know they are in trouble, its just acts of desperation.
Yours and other people's comments about cable companies are not completely true. Cable can certainly compete, but the question is if they want to spend the money to do so. I have cox, and I have 25mbit down, although don't ask me how long it can sustain the speed (I don't know).

Cox is a great cable company compared to the rest. I'm glad I have their service vs comcast and all these others I see people bitching about constantly. FIOS is probably not going to be an option for me... not for YEARS.

this crap has been going on long before FiOS came around. Comcast would not let you have cablemodem if you had satellite television for example.

They don't do this because they CAN'T do this. They do this as a way of saying "hey if you want our service, you get all or nothing."

the cable companies have already ran fiber optics throughout my town. what would it really cost them to switch their service from the pole to house, over to photocable? too much i guess.... or more likely it means whatever sort of fiber optic network they ran is NOT enough to handle both tv and internet!

Theres all these billboards around here saying time warner cable.....Fiber fast or the worlds fastest fiber network.

Then why is my internet so fucking shitty!!! I hate time warner my internet always cuts out, cable sucks and the phone is just alright.

time warner is good in green bay, pay for 6, get about 8 from good sources

does it really matter? I mean if they smear Verizons name and make them look bad the damage is already done....

So suing for damages (lost revenue by degrading Verizon's name) doesn't make sense to you? Do you know how lawsuits work?

Cable company, verizon, phone company they're all the same. Cox sucks in Arizona. Comcast is good in Sacramento, ect. It all depends on the area.

Verizon uses shitty actiontek routers on the east coast. I can't tell you enough how they are such garbage.

Time Warner Cable out here in Staten Island is losing broadband customers left and right, and they will lose more once they can offer TV over FIOS. Verizon needs to get approval to start rolling TV service out to it's FIOS customers. There is some regulatory bullshit going on where the city wants Verizon to wait until they can deploy fiber to everyone city wide (yeah right) but the last I heard was that may not be the case and Verizon should be in a position to start offering service late this year or sometime next year. Technically Verizon can't offer FIOS TV service and what happens is Verizon will offer you Direct TV via satellite. Time Warner may have fiber somewhere in their network, but it sure as shit does not go to the home, so they can't really defend themselves on that one, I have no idea why they would go there. I cringe every time I go to pay my cable bill because I have to see that silly ass tv commercial "Fiber got you in a bunch?".

Verizon's FiOS - what a dream come true.

5-10ms pings in game servers, very reliable uptime (3 months and counting), fast download and uploads best of all, only $29.99 a month and free installation . The installation alone was worth over $200 - yeesh

damn you guys are making me jealous, my internet sucks. I'm stuck with using a crappy capped 384kbps connection that constantly drops. The shittiest part is that that's as good as the internet gets up here, and it costs me $120 a month!

While checking the FiOS map around my area, I can't help but cry. It seems as if they started installing the FiOS service around my town and not in it. I zoom out and I see an empty circle. :(

Lets compare

Roughly twice Cable in the best areas down, and A LOT faster up.

I am not sure whose cable service you are comparing this too, but not all of them are stuck in the 6 to 8 megabit range.

Here is my TimeWarner cable results:

Granted, you do kill my upload speed....would love to have even half of what you have on the upstream.

Lets compare

Roughly twice Cable in the best areas down, and A LOT faster up.

Comcast using your test site.

And one closer to me.

No I'm not saying your internet service isn't fast, but some speed test are flawed, or in my case Speedboost is my "problem".

Yes I do but how do you put a value in such things. That is something i never got.

Well...that's for the judge to decide. But in most cases, it gets settled out of court. There is no set fee, but Verizon has to do something to recoup loses, etc.

For nearly 5 years I haven't had a problem with any of Comcast's services but sometime in the past 2 months it looks like someone took a dump on their HD channels. Pictures that used to be sharp and smooth are now grainy, have compression artifacts, and drop frames during fast action. It looks like Comcast is going for quantity of HD channels as opposed to quality of existing channels.

There are no plans for FiOS to come to my area either.

dont try the internet speed epeen game, ill go get on the university network, right on the backbone.
And we're talking about residential service, not high tier service from universities.

Cable company, verizon, phone company they're all the same. Cox sucks in Arizona. Comcast is good in Sacramento, ect. It all depends on the area.

Verizon uses shitty actiontek routers on the east coast. I can't tell you enough how they are such garbage.

Yes they are. The power supplies in them frequently go bad. But they replace them for free, as would be expected. So what exactly are you hating on? I got a new model last week, it looks slick, the features aren't anything amazing, but it does the job fine.

For nearly 5 years I haven't had a problem with any of Comcast's services but sometime in the past 2 months it looks like someone took a dump on their HD channels. Pictures that used to be sharp and smooth are now grainy, have compression artifacts, and drop frames during fast action. It looks like Comcast is going for quantity of HD channels as opposed to quality of existing channels.

There are no plans for FiOS to come to my area either.

What can you guys expect? If you're not in a metropolitan area.. do you know how expensive fiber is, and the labor and work involved in laying the cables? The roll out will go extremely slow, as it is very expensive, and in small towns/rural areas, it simply won't happen.

One of the things I hate the most about Cox Cable in phx is they won't rent you cable modems anymore. They make you purchase one either from their store or another store. Then when yuo have internet problems, they blame your modem and refuse to dispatch a tech until you replace your modem. It's happened twice to me. Both times a new modem failed to fix the problem.

And Qwest has stated they don't believe FIOS is the answer and has no intentions of investing in it. (as of late 07) :(

One of the things I hate the most about Cox Cable in phx is they won't rent you cable modems anymore. They make you purchase one either from their store or another store. Then when yuo have internet problems, they blame your modem and refuse to dispatch a tech until you replace your modem. It's happened twice to me. Both times a new modem failed to fix the problem.

And Qwest has stated they don't believe FIOS is the answer and has no intentions of investing in it. (as of late 07) :(

Thats ok. Buying cablemodem is cheaper and better anyways. Comcast gave me a crappy Netgear box and I demanded my previous Linksys model but they said I have no reason to swap (my previous Linksys modem was zapped by a lightning strike on our front lawn).

The Netgear box has to be reset about 2-3 times a day because it would quit working all the time.

Leasing cablemodems generally cost $5 a month in your cable bill. That's $60 a year. You can get lots of decent cablemodem router for that price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=cable+modem

Back