9800GTX please help!

rverhas

Weaksauce
I just installed vista 64 on my new computer. After installing the video card driver and restarting the image is larger than the screen. It is almost like when you try to run too high of a resolution on a TV, only it doesn't let the image scroll. My task bar is completely off the screen, along with portions of both sides and the top missing. The picture itself is also very screwed up. I installed the monitor driver (it is a Viewsonic VX2835wm 28inch) and it had no effect. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

I hope someone out there has an answer for you because I am having something similar to what you have. Im stuck at a res of 1024x768.

restart in safe mode, set the screen size to 800x600, reboot, and set it to the correct size, it should hold the settings between safemode and normal operation..

I tried booting to safe mode and changing the resolution, but it did not help. I am running 1920x1200 and don't have a problem changing that resolution, but it just doesn't all fit on the screen. When running safe mode everything fit on the screen fine. I know it is not an issue with the monitor, especially because it displays everything fine at any resolution in safe mode.

Also, another symptom of this problem is that the speakers in the monitor crackle and produce random static. The monitor is hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

...you need to find the 1:1 pixel mapping option in your monitor's menus. Also you might try a different signal update rate (I think there's a checkbox somewhere in the Nvidia control panel that has to do with the update rate and high resolutions.) if the picture still looks strange. Other than that, don't know. Sounds like your monitor drivers aren't working properly.

I presume you had this monitor working previously with another setup? If not it could just be defective.

hmm try just cycleing the power on the moniter while the pc is on, if its like my dell moniter, it will run an auto callibration and make it fit... if this fails, and it works fine under safe mode then its a driver problem ( i think it is any way... but hitting the power button off an on takes just a few seconeds.. and its worth a shot)

now as for why it works under safe mode, is becuase it is using windows default drivers.. safe mode disables all 3rd party drivers, and runs with the windows stock drivers... so, get driver cleaner, uninstall the drivers, run the cleaner, reboot, reinstall the drivers... this should fix it. keep us posted

...you need to find the 1:1 pixel mapping option in your monitor's menus. Also you might try a different signal update rate (I think there's a checkbox somewhere in the Nvidia control panel that has to do with the update rate and high resolutions.) if the picture still looks strange. Other than that, don't know. Sounds like your monitor drivers aren't working properly.

I presume you had this monitor working previously with another setup? If not it could just be defective.

ahh yes.. alternate pixel center i beleave it is called.. (atleast on ati's side...) might be worth a shot

No luck on triggering an auto image adjust, and when displaying HDMI it doesn't allow manual image size adjustment either. I also have been inside and out of the nvidia control panel and cannot find anything that resembles signal update rate or alternate pixel center. I will continue to search the internet for any possible solutions and post back if I find anything

Downgrade to XP :)

go away troll

No luck on triggering an auto image adjust, and when displaying HDMI it doesn't allow manual image size adjustment either. I also have been inside and out of the nvidia control panel and cannot find anything that resembles signal update rate or alternate pixel center. I will continue to search the internet for any possible solutions and post back if I find anything

yeah.. its a driver issue.. cleam em out and reinstall.. sorry to say but it is a the only way.. by the time you figure out something it could be, you could have fixed it with a quick clean + reinstall.

I uninstalled the drivers, ran driver cleaner, reinstalled and still doesn't work. I have found other cases like this on the internet, but I can't find any solution.

I found out that the drivers for the 9800gtx have problems with dvi to hdmi adapters sometimes. I hooked it up through VGA and it works fine. Hopefully it iwll be fixed soon so I can go back to HDMI. Thanks for all the help.

Robin.

I found out that the drivers for the 9800gtx have problems with dvi to hdmi adapters sometimes. I hooked it up through VGA and it works fine. Hopefully it iwll be fixed soon so I can go back to HDMI. Thanks for all the help.

Robin.

Yeah I did some looking around, it appears that most/everyone who has this problem is using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Robin.

wow thats wierd.. must be some signaling interfierence in there somewhere... hey.. at least its a new feature and not some rehash that keeps cropping up

I'm not sure how similar this is, but when I installed my 9800GTX the image on my screen was offcenter with a black bar on the right and bottom. I fixed it following this post:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032078646#post1032078646

This was directly related to my monitor though (LG L246W), so again, I'm not sure how closely it fits your problem, but it is something to think about.

I am using a DVI ---> HDMI cable from GFX card to monitor.

Nope, I have a Viewsonic screen, but I looked up the EDID for it and used that to update the driver.

This problem seems like something nVidia could work out pretty easily.... Is it the DVI ---> HDMI that is screwing everyone up, I'm confused. I could imagine people who dont know how to find information like this being pretty pissed off at their new 9800GTX.

Glad I could finally help someone on this forum! :)

In the last few driver releases you should have an option in the nvidia control panel called 'Resize my HDTV desktop'. Using this option you should be able to get things squared away quite easily...

Back