is the Xigmatek S1283 better than a Zalman 9700 on a q6600?

jjolin

Gawd
i currently have a Zalman 9700, but the 45c idle is killing me. i have seen people really liking the Xigmatek S1283 for the q6600 because of the exposed pipes and whatnot. will it perform better at an overclocked speed, say 3.2-3.4ghz than the Zalman 9700? (i can't even get that high with the 9700)

The 9700 is not a terrible cooler or anything. I think you would see minimal gains going to a 1283.

45C sound high for idle though, what case and TIM are you using? Have you tried reseating the cooler? What are your load temps?

Yeah I was going to say Frosty Tech regard it as the #1 cooler above the TRUE and Zalman 9700, and for the price I couldn't complain seeing as it's about $25 cheaper and they provide you with a fan unlike the TRUE.

Yeah I was going to say Frosty Tech regard it as the #1 cooler above the TRUE and Zalman 9700, and for the price I couldn't complain seeing as it's about $25 cheaper and they provide you with a fan unlike the TRUE.

Even then, the 1283 is only a few degrees C cooler than the Zalman. Its not likely to make a big difference, and if there is a huge drop in temps, it just likely means the Zalman was not mounted very well.

I idle my X3210 in the 45-50*C range. :rolleyes:

It'll be upgraded long before it dies from heat exhaustion.

A semi-related question...

I am going to be putting together a system based on an Abit IP35-pro and a Q6600. I currently have a Big Typhoon on hand. I'm considering getting an Xigmatek S1283 to use instead of the BT. I plan on OC'ing. I know the S1283 is better, based on the round-ups posted earlier.

Other components are a Corsair 520 PS, an MSI 8800GTS 512, and my case is an Antec LanBoy with 120MM fans in front and rear.

What are folk's opinions? Keep the BT, or get the S1283?

Based on the reviews I'd go with the Xigmatek. Newegg has a good deal on the Red Scorpion - check out the hotdeals forum for the coupon code.

Idk how good the BT is, but I just picked up a S1283 , $37 on newegg and free shipping, just too bad I don't have the rest of my new PC build yet, lol. Well the Xigmatek seems to kick major ass, I'd take it over any zalman especially for the price, I'd only get a TRUE if the prices were closer, TRUE needs an xtra fan to buy anyways.

Yeah, I think I will end up getting the Xigmatek.

Another question for anyone that has one... Can the Xigmatek be lapped? From the pictures and the reviews, it seems as though the base has gaps between the base and the pipes anyway. Not sure if it would be worth the effort.

i have the 1283 on a q6600, overclocked to 3.0, and it idles along at ~31-32, sometimes up to 35c, depending on the room temp. it's really nice compared to my previous coolers, ac7, stock and a coolermaster tx2. priming, it doesn't go over 57. and that's with the stupid pushpins. it's in a cm690, and yes you need to relocate the exhaust fan. the high temp is even with the almost but not quite useless stock fans from the cm690.

A semi-related question...

I am going to be putting together a system based on an Abit IP35-pro and a Q6600. I currently have a Big Typhoon on hand. I'm considering getting an Xigmatek S1283 to use instead of the BT. I plan on OC'ing. I know the S1283 is better, based on the round-ups posted earlier.

Other components are a Corsair 520 PS, an MSI 8800GTS 512, and my case is an Antec LanBoy with 120MM fans in front and rear.

What are folk's opinions? Keep the BT, or get the S1283?

I have a Q6600 (OC'd to 3006 MHz) cooled by an S1283 on an IP35 Pro board in an Antec 900 case. I couldn't be happier. Idle core temps are 27 and 32. Prime95 load temps are 47 and 52.

EDIT - UPPED MY OC

The Xigmatek is quite a bit better than the Zalman 9700. You should be able to easily hit 3.4GHz with it on your Q6600 providing your board and chip are capable of it and you use reasonable voltages.

I'm runnin' a [email protected] (1.40v) with the xigmatek 1283. I also have the little fin on the back directing a little flow through my 780i fins. Seems to work some wonders for me.

Back