Chimp Challenge : Official thread

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
Now that we're settled on the team captain and name (finally, no chap counting involved :eek:), let's sit down and talk about the real business, which is to mow other teams down like usual. The details of the whole challenge is almost complete and I did a quick pop in the OCAU forum to kick their ass so they can get the head unstruck and finish their own stuff :D

I have looked at some of the smack talk and I'm very proud of our teammates, especially alan2308 :cool: Let's continue to stir things and distract them while we can gear up for a crushing victory. Please keep this within the forum rules on all the teams forums because we are a real team and we can talk without resorting to childish manners.

How the contest work :

On may 5th (cinco de mayo) at 12:00, the Chimp Challenge will officially start with each team folding under a single name. The official [H]orde name will be [H]ardApe and each team will still fold for their own team. The goal of the challenge is to reach the 5 millions milestone in the shortest time before others do.

The winning team will get the coveted jaded monkey and the loser will get a cursed and dreaded monkey paw. There is no monetary gain for winning, only the honor to be the best (or the worst :p) and ultimately, it's for a good cause toward the science progress on understanding proteins folding.

Here are the official rules for chimp challenge '08:

1. First team to accumulate 5,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is May 5th at 12pm noon, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victory gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw

4. Team captains are as follows: sno.lcn from overclockers, KingFish from MaxPC, Xilikon from [H]ardOCP, and mitsimonsta from OCAU.

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only with a consensus of the team captains are changes allowed to be made of the rules.

7. The official folding names are "T32monkeys" from OC, "maximum_monkey" from MPC, "[H]ardApe from [H]ardOCP, and "Monkey_Bollocks" from OCAU.

8. Have fun, keep it positive, and enjoy the contest.

Basically, here's the steps you need to participate in the challenge :
-Around may 5th at 12:00 PM PST (noon), switch the boxens to fold under [H]ardApe and team 33.
-Sit around, toss some monkey poo at other teams.
-Borg more (remember, the answer is always "D").
-Profit :D
-Switch back to your usual routine when the challenge end.

Here's the team folding tag :

Passkey :
Hello [H]ardApe:

Your Folding@Home Client passkey is:
e109628a7f920fea706561b4ceb1b6d7

Your username is:
[H]ardApe

Please use this to activate your client.
Thankyou,
Folding@Home Team

For the stats w[H]ores, here is 3 custom stats pages to watch for the duration of the challenge :

-[H]orde own stats : http://hardfolding.com/fh_stats_test/index.php?pz=500
-OC.com stats : http://clintdavis.us/chimpchallenge2008/
-EOC stats : http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/chimp_challenge_2008.php

A big thank you to the guys managing the stats pages linked above. Please show your appreciation one way or another to them ;)

Now, it's time to talk strategy and pep talk. If you have something other teams doesn't need to know, everyone know where to go ;)

Links to smack talk / official thread on other teams forums :

MPC = http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76260
OCAU = http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=673221
OC.com = http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555238
[H] = .... duh, we are here :p

I'm thinking CTRL C all my clients at 99% that sunday, reconfig and have them all post at 12:01am on Monday. LOL 30k points 1 minute into the challenge hehehehe.... Is that wrong?

I fired a PM to King_N to see if he can build a special page to track all 4 teams progress for the Chimp Challenge and if possible, register the moment a team cross the 5 millions milestone. I think this would be easier to track than having 4 separate pages.

I also created the secret thread if you know where to look ;)

I'm thinking CTRL C all my clients at 99% that sunday, reconfig and have them all post at 12:01am on Monday. LOL 30k points 1 minute into the challenge hehehehe.... Is that wrong?

While this is strictly legal this contest is designed (as are all of them) to get and keep the interest in folding. We should not (in the name of science) halt or store partly done WU's to jumpstart the score for the sake of a contest.

I fired a PM to King_N to see if he can build a special page to track all 4 teams progress for the Chimp Challenge and if possible, register the moment a team cross the 5 millions milestone. I think this would be easier to track than having 4 separate pages.

seadave77 from the OC team has done our stats the past two years. He usually does a knock down job of the stats and graphing, etc. He's going to be doing stats as well this year.

Uhhh..., OK. Don't forget about having some way of informing us uninformed members where the secret thread is. :confused:

I don't mean broadcast in the [H] forum either, because then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. :)

Thanks for all your [H]ard work on the Chimp Challenge. :p

I hate to say it (not really), but the [H] folding team 33 is going to smoke the socks right off of the other teams and beat them like the proverbial stepchild. :cool:

Edit: If this post is "out of pocket" just remember some of us have large "air gaps" between our brain cells. :eek: (the 1 or 2 cells we have left :rolleyes: )

Yeah I'm one of the others that's not informed of the secret location. But I suspect that it's an area that I don't currently have access to.

Can we have some clarification on 12 on May 5th? Is that 12AM GMT or EDT or PDT or what?

One sweet thing is we'll have a decent gauge of our PPD the last couple updates before the challenge starts cause people will be switching over their legions of boxen to dump WU's right as the contest starts. :)

You might want to PM all the Team 33 members who are going to do this with the info on the secret Ape Cave, as a lot of us seem to be out of the loop on that one.

Yeah I'm one of the others that's not informed of the secret location. But I suspect that it's an area that I don't currently have access to.

Can we have some clarification on 12 on May 5th? Is that 12AM GMT or EDT or PDT or what?

One sweet thing is we'll have a decent gauge of our PPD the last couple updates before the challenge starts cause people will be switching over their legions of boxen to dump WU's right as the contest starts. :)

12PM Pacific.

Edit: You can turn over your boxes anytime before that if you need to, but the points before the official start won't count.

Oops%20Banana.jpg

Ooops did I leave that?

The only team giving out Ownage is Team 32. :p

seadave77 from the OC team has done our stats the past two years. He usually does a knock down job of the stats and graphing, etc. He's going to be doing stats as well this year.

If he can do it, it's good but 2 sources is better ;)

+1 on the requests for PM for the super secret hideout.

I am excited. Having so few borgs I am thinking about calling those in charge of those boxes and giving them step by step instructions on changing over.

I have a dir of old forum pics back when Gen-may was Gen-may

I'm whipping them out :cool:

Keep in mind what happens if you try and OC too much during the challenge

hexplode.jpg

Well Kendrak, it looks like you just weren't using adequate cooling.

zzzzzzcomputerfan.jpg

Whoever's baby it is, I know that look. Something REAL bad is about to happen. :eek:

Found another good one, wish I knew who made it :(

(I have the larger version as my background now)

hpill.jpg

Morpheus lied! There is a 3rd option!

My quad should be installed next week and will fold for the competition. About this secret place though...

edit:
NVM. Found the secret place. I kinda thought it might be there, but I hadn't seen anything. Now I know.

My quad should be installed next week and will fold for the competition. About this secret place though...

edit:
NVM. Found the secret place. I kinda thought it might be there, but I hadn't seen anything. Now I know.

what secret place? :eek:

This evenings [H]News update:

oc.com will again have the support of some of their seti@home brethren. The seti guys have given a substantial boost in years past.

The smack talk thread has been given new life from the [H] swarm today. I would like to reiterate Xilikon's point earlier, know the rules if you're going to post there. Don't get banned, we'll need you come D-Day! Also, if you aren't very thick skinned, you might want to sit the MPC thread out. It WILL get pretty ugly, always does.

I could probably chop a couple pics but I don't have The Gimp installed at the moment as I'm in Windows plus I don't have the driver installed to access my ext3 partitions and as I believe my pics are on one of those partitions.

Sad thing is that if I had mic boost for the onboard audio on my board in Linux I wouldn't even be in Windows at the moment.

How about a simple tutorial on the easy ways to change your folding name to the new team name? For me, I need to know how to change the folding name with the SMP clients.

I read today about using NotePad (or was it Word Pad) in Micro soft. Plus there is the -configonly flag, but I don't know where or how to use that flag.

Wow... stupid me... I go off to work and lookit what I miss!!

I seem to be in need of directions to the secret [H]ardApe cave as well.... Thanks!

Ooohhh... also, there is no way that I can reconfigure my borg until mid-day on Monday....I can have my home farm (which equals roughly my borg production) done on time, but it will be mid-day Monday before I can get to my wifes clinic.....

That won't cause any problems other than a slight delay in my contribution.... right?

I'll be ready, should have the quad stable @ 3.6 by then. I'll probably run the nofreds also, since it seems the most efficient.

How about a simple tutorial on the easy ways to change your folding name to the new team name? For me, I need to know how to change the folding name with the SMP clients.

I read today about using NotePad (or was it Word Pad) in Micro soft. Plus there is the -configonly flag, but I don't know where or how to use that flag.

Its Windoze NotePad.
Just open the client.cfg file.
Make the changes.
Close and save when it asks you if you want to save the changes.
But always check that it does use the modded config file when you restart folding and does not revert back to anonymous(team 0).
If it does then just restart with -config flag and correct your client.cfg file that way.
But you still need to stop and restart the client for it to take effect.

Dont use an an advanced word editor as they can add unseen carrage returns that will mess up the config file.

I've been alrering the config file that way for a few years now and the only trouble I've had was setting the MachineID above 9.

Luck ............. :D

Alternative open up your shortcut to each fah.exe and add this flag after the Quote -configonly

Ctrl C both clients so none are runnning. Go into CTRL/ALT/Delete and ensure all F@H clients have disengaged cuz sometimes mine stay active!!!

Click the new shortcuts and reconfig. Remove the flag and start teh clients back up!

Back