QUICK HELP: Antec TruePower Trio 650 and 9800GX2?

Gutspiller

Gawd
I received my 9800GX2 today, but can't install it until I get home.

I know this card requires 1 6pin and 1 8pin connector to it. I was told by other forum goers that this powersupply was fine for my new 9800GX2. I'm not so sure now. I've looked at the online manual for this power supply http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/TRIO_manual_en.pdf

The connectors page for the power supply shows that the power supply only has 1 8pin connector and on that manual page it says if you have a dual CPU system to connect the 8pin 12V connector to the motherboard. Also on the page for my power supply is the connectors page: http://www.antec.com/connectors.php?ProdID=23650&SetZone=en which notes that the 8pin connector on the power supply is a 12V. I don't know if anybody knows if the one that connects to the back of a 9800GX2 is a 12V or not, but I'm hoping that somebody can give me an answer if I now need to order a new power supply?

Will this power supply work with my 9800GX2? If not, what type of connector do I need to make sure my new power supply has?

(I would like to get this figured out ASAP so I can get a new power supply ordered today if I need it.)

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

That 12 volt EPS connector is for the processor (motherboard) connection only - do not ever try to connect it to your 9800GX2. You could damage your new card. As to the 8 pin PCI express connector, there was a fiasco recently concerning power supply compatibility and the 9800GX2 8 pin connection not fitting many power supplies 8 pin PCIE connector because the retaining clip was in the wrong place or was too large. I think they have corrected the design and may have an adaptor that works with it. I've heard of some people who were impatient about getting the adaptor cable and simply cut off the retaining clip on the 8 pin pcie connector. A drastic solution that voids the power supply warranty, but it works

Some 9800GX2's come with a molex adapter.

Your power supply should have a 6-pin PCI-E with a little 2-pin attachment that is used for the 8-pin plug, as well as additional 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. My NeoPower 650 did at least.

There's a picture I of this 8-pin connector here

Back