Latest Info 9900GTX 9900GTS 512 and 448 Memory Interface, July Release

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
Apologize if this doesn't deserve its own thread but this seems noteworthy enough. Thread police flame me.

The first 2 models from the GeForce 9900 series will be 9900 GTX and 9900 GTS instead of 9900 GT we reported earlier. It seems Nvidia has decided to launch them as early as July to counter RV770 and steal the performance crown away. Nvidia has earlier confirmed GT200 existence and revealed that the GPU has about 1B transistors. Our sources are suggesting a 512-bit memory interface with GDDR3 memories for GeForce 9900 GTX using P651 PCB and a 448-bit memory interface for the GeForce 9900 GTS.

Link

Added 4-26
nvgpulineup.gif

Thank You Nvidia if this is true enough of the 256bit nonsense.

I would not be quite so quick to state they will take the performance crown back off the R770. Without a long drawn our pointless argument about architecture , ATI have really addressed the weaknesses of the R700, we don't know a lot about the GT200 yet.

If anything we may finally have a real fight to watch.

i was gonna buy a 9800GX2 but now i´m gonna wait till the 9900GTX :D

Y'know, I was just thinking to myself, nVidia needs more products on the market. They don't have enough.

(this is stupid as hell.)

Is the 9800 GX2 destined to meet the fate of its 7950 GX2 cousin?

oh indeed it is!
after the release of the 9900 you can kiss the 9800GX2's code optimizations in games goodbye :eek:

I say, bring it on! Any movement is better than stagnation even though all those shiny new 9800's will be lackluster (hopefully blown away) due to pretty much being a refresher to a refresh. I love business and corporations... Although, it does kind of suck when you shell out a good amount of hard-earned cash on new(er) technology and before you know it, its outdated. But that's the way it always goes and the way it should be if we are hoping to advance.

I do hope it blows the 9800's out of the water, but isn't the 9900 supposed to be a refresh with a die shrink?

Nvidia only seem to lower prices or release a new product to beat ATI these days. I am starting to wonder if they deserve our support, I know I will be going ATI if its a close fight. I can't imagine how bad it would be if ATI disappeared

I would not be quite so quick to state they will take the performance crown back off the R770. Without a long drawn our pointless argument about architecture , ATI have really addressed the weaknesses of the R700, we don't know a lot about the GT200 yet.

If anything we may finally have a real fight to watch.

And we also don't know anything about RV770's performance. Rumored specs are one thing. Actual performance is quite another.

But let's play the specs game. The HD 4870 is rumored to be around 50% faster than the HD 3870, which we hope is just the worse case scenario, since NVIDIA already has a card that's around 50% faster than the HD 3870 - The 8800 GTX / 9800 GTX. NVIDIA's GT200 specs put it at the same level of performance than a GX2 (which is 2 x 8800 GTS 512), but without SLI woes, since it's a single chip, so it should surpass the GX2 in some cases. The specs game is interesting, but we already know that specs alone are worthless, in terms of real-world gameplay.

But there's one thing the rumors share. Which is the fact that most of them "launch" RV770 in May, so we are bound to see how it performs, before GT200 is launched, which, according to rumors, should be sometime in June/July.

Well there are rumours about RV770; spec-rumours would indicate that HD4870 should be at least twice as fast compared to HD3870..then there are performance-rumours talking about 50%.

Sounds good. If the 9900 GTX has a 512 bit I'm so getting it. But benchmarks first.

Is there going to be a 9900 GX2 though, or was that just a rumour?

Sounds good. If the 9900 GTX has a 512 bit I'm so getting it. But benchmarks first.

Is there going to be a 9900 GX2 though, or was that just a rumour?

I think a good way to predict that 9900GX2 being real or not is to see if AMD releases 4870X2. Nvidia just releases things to counter AMD nowadays.

And we also don't know anything about RV770's performance. Rumored specs are one thing. Actual performance is quite another.

But let's play the specs game. The HD 4870 is rumored to be around 50% faster than the HD 3870, which we hope is just the worse case scenario, since NVIDIA already has a card that's around 50% faster than the HD 3870 - The 8800 GTX / 9800 GTX. NVIDIA's GT200 specs put it at the same level of performance than a GX2 (which is 2 x 8800 GTS 512), but without SLI woes, since it's a single chip, so it should surpass the GX2 in some cases. The specs game is interesting, but we already know that specs alone are worthless, in terms of real-world gameplay.

But there's one thing the rumors share. Which is the fact that most of them "launch" RV770 in May, so we are bound to see how it performs, before GT200 is launched, which, according to rumors, should be sometime in June/July.

I generally agree, History has shown us threads arguing about specs is generally worthless.

I would however say Nvidia "appears" concerned over something releasing the GT200 quickly (takes time to get into and ramp up production). This small article indicates the RV770 will take the crown if only for a short while which seems to be what everything is pointing at.

The million $ question is, will the GT200 beat the Rv770 both at maximum clocks/yield, and thats something we will have to wait and see. From a consumer point of view it would be great to see ATI winning for a generation.

I want to go back to ATI just so I can do a high-end multi-card setup without having to resort to using untrustworthy nVidia chipsets. Actually getting better graphics performance from both companies out of the deal would be a bonus.

I generally agree, History has shown us threads arguing about specs is generally worthless.

I would however say Nvidia "appears" concerned over something releasing the GT200 quickly (takes time to get into and ramp up production). This small article indicates the RV770 will take the crown if only for a short while which seems to be what everything is pointing at.

The million $ question is, will the GT200 beat the Rv770 both at maximum clocks/yield, and thats something we will have to wait and see. From a consumer point of view it would be great to see ATI winning for a generation.

I don't see how NVIDIA appears to be concerned. There are month old rumors that already mentioned that GT200 had tapped out. And GT200 also seems to be the 1 TeraFLOP chip that that NVIDIA marketting rep (Michael Hara?) mentioned back in early 2007. We assumed that was G92, but that didn't turn out to be true.

Based on specs alone (which obviously doesn't mean much), RV770 will have a hard time beating the existing 9800 GX2, which the rumored specs of GT200 certainly match or surpass.

But yes, from a consumer's point of view, ATI providing competition in the high-end, would be good, since prices would not reach astronomical values.

I'm going to wait for a refresh of the 9900 GTS. That thing is just going to suck to much power. I'm still perfectly fine with my 8800 GTS 512.

i wonder if the 9500GT will beat the 9600GT...
too many names too many products?

looks like the 9800GT is just a G92b core, so minor improvement, but due to the same heat signature, im not expecting much. (comparing to 8800GT/ GTS)

from that , only the GT200 seems to hold promise.

i wonder if the 9500GT will beat the 9600GT...
too many names too many products?

looks like the 9800GT is just a G92b core, so minor improvement, but due to the same heat signature, im not expecting much. (comparing to 8800GT/ GTS)

from that , only the GT200 seems to hold promise.

IIRC, 9500 GT is basically just a re-badged 8600 GT, probably shrunk to 55 nm, so it won't be better than a 9600 GT obviously.

G92b represents the 55 nm shrink of the G92 chip. The 9800 GT should actually be faster than the 9800 GTX.

Extremely interested in the 9900GTX primarily b/c of the 512-bit bus which really seems to be limiting nVidia's current offerings more than anything else (for a recent example, just check the Assassin's Creed review for the 9800GX2 here on [H]). I really would like to see the individual stream processors clocked above 1.5GHz though, so I'd likely opt for a good factory OC model. Unfortunately though, those clock speeds may well be the result of the 9900's still being 65nm's instead of 55nm's, which could be the issue. If so, come summer when I'll need to build the rig to take to college with me in the fall, I'll be wrangling w/myself over whether or not nVidia is going to refresh the 9900's w/55nm versions and if those will be worth just slapping a cheap 9600GT in temporarily to wait for.

Anyone know if the 8-pin PCI-E power connector was just a 9800GX2 thing? I hope they still use the 6-pin for everything else!

Specs for 9500 GT should be identical to those of the 8600 GT.
cexDPc4AaVoSc.jpg

So it's between 8600 GT and GTS.
Also 9500 GS is slightly under 8600 GT. Pretty good replacement for Geforce 8500..I'd say.

9500-cards also have "hybrid power" and "Clock throttling" on idle mode and purevideo/HD3.. features that 8600-cards don't have

----

Geforce 9300-cards should be renamed 8400-cards [which already use G98-chips which are 65nm]

Anyone know if the 8-pin PCI-E power connector was just a 9800GX2 thing? I hope they still use the 6-pin for everything else!

I'd assume that if there is some kind of mass conversion to 8-pin there will either be some kind of conversion connectors supplied or something. Point is, there's gotta be a way to get an 8-pin connector from your current PSU to such a card since it just wouldn't make sense for nVidia to switch over to 8-pin only atm if there wasn't imo.

I'd assume that if there is some kind of mass conversion to 8-pin there will either be some kind of conversion connectors supplied or something. Point is, there's gotta be a way to get an 8-pin connector from your current PSU to such a card since it just wouldn't make sense for nVidia to switch over to 8-pin only atm if there wasn't imo.

I'd hope so. I see there are some 8-pin adapters, but they're "not recommended" by nvidia. It'd be neat if PSU manufacturer's would make a new cable attachment for those with modular PSUs.

Looking forward to these cards.. i'm building a new rig , if you had to guess - do you think a 750w psu would be enough for one of these cards?

A good 750W good probably handle two, given the Corsair HX620W can handle SLI 8800GTX's.

If the performance of these cards are comparable to sli'd 8800GTX's then I may have due reason for getting a Silverstone SG-01, then again I still have my Lian Li A05A. ;)

Back