Samsung 2253BW dvi trouble.

Tw34k

n00b
I cannot get the dvi on this monitor to function with my current setup at all, ive been trying for almost a week no to no avail. The current setup i have is:

Abit AN52 motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 8800gt
Samsung 2253 22" LCD monitor.

The way the monitor is currently working is through the analogue (rgb) source which then goes through an adaptor onto the dvi port on the 8800gt. basically

<monitor> Rgb--------------Rgb/dvi adapter <8800gt>

I've googled my brains out on this one and i still cant seem to find anything that can help me, the situation is this, when i plug in the dvi cable change the source to digital (dvi) with it all connected the power light blinks as if its in standby but it doesnt come out, if i unplug it from the pc it gives the check connection msg. I have been checking sources which say bios might be locking it out but i havent found the bios option yet either im on an abit AN52 card and google has nothing on it.

I'm starting to think that my video card is either stuck putting out vga signal, the only thing i can think of is, i just swapped over videocards recently before i got the monior. since i changed cards from a 8600 using analogue(vga) to the current 8800gt it seems the dvi port or settings are locked out, even plugging the dvi cable into the spare port does nothing, but if i change the dsub to the opposite one i can hear that new connection detected noise but cant see anything

i replaced the cable that came with the samsung (Dvi single withe a Dvi-D dual) as i thought it was that, so to me it seems more about my card / install not recognizing a dvi signal, but the port finds a vga signal with a dsub connection. its a bit weird if both ports on the card dont recognize the dvi signal but will the vga using the dsub adaptor.

sorry for the wall of text ive been working on this one for a while with still no luck and trying to find if anyone has a similar problem / solution to this, im at the point now where it hink my install of windows is the main problem and a format might fix it,.

So the monitor is only working on D-sub 15/VGA with an adapter only?

Ie. a DVI cable from vid card to monitor is not working at all?

If your computer is not detecting the DVI connection on boot up/post screen it's not your windows install.

You may want to re-install your NVidia drivers by uninstalling the older version and reinstalling a newer version (169.21 on XP, or 174.74 for beta) and see if this helps.

Try this using port 1 on the card, which is the right most port/port closest to the motherboard. It should be marked on the backplane of the card. Then shut down and reboot.

See if that helps.

Regards,

10e

That's weird that you're having those problems, few weeks ago I bought a 2253BW as well and when hooked it up via DVI it would just throw up a no signal floating box on me.

What I had to do was remove the DVI and power from the monitor, shut it off. turned the computer off and hooked everything back up again. power the computer on and then while booting turned on the monitor, DVI/Digital was working then.

Not sure what the deal is here, and my specs are somewhat close to yours as well.

GA-P35-DS3R
E6750
8800GT
and of course the SM2253BW

EDIT: I remember in the 2253BW thread another guy was having problem with DVI, not sure if it's something to do with this monitor or maybe just a popular piece of hardware that a lot of people are using.

Yea ive tried removing/uninstalling the drivers a few ways, even going as far as to use device manager to just take out the card and driver cleaner to make sure all traces are removed.

the connection is currently using analogue, as i cannot get it to pick up anything remotely digital, if i shut down change cables and source, the monitor just flashes the power light at me in standby theres no msg on screen. ive tried both ports to no avail.

The reason i thought it might be my XP install is because after viewing some nvidia threats they talked about installed display drivers in the install and i only noted 4 things in my registry under that vga, framebuf, vga256 and vga64k but i could be completely off track i thought it might add up since it doesnt detect the connection

Have you tried running windows updates?

I noticed after installing the drivers from the cd, or from the Samsung site there is always a driver update for the 2253bw, it may not help but it's worth a try.

Also I do remember mine would just flash the power button as well, but then eventually it started throwing up the "no signal" or "check signal" floating window, not sure what I did to get it to change.

Another thing, with Magictune installed there is a tab to switch between analog and digital, maybe try hooking them both up and using that to switch. not sure if that will do anything, but again, it's worth a try.

And if your Magictune doesn't work, try the 1.0.99 version, they only have a link to the old version as far as I know, I found the new one through searching. And if Magictune still throws up errors uninstall it and reinstall it, I have to do this multiple times for it to work, not sure why. Sometimes installing it without restarting, then starting the service manually ( Services.msc in run box ) got it to work for me as well.

Ive been searching more finding out bits and pieces where i can, i uninstalled my drivers and installed the beta nvidia drivers, 174.74 ones.

theres is some change. when i plug the dvi into the 2nd port windows makes a noise, also with the 2nd cable plugged in nvidia control pannel now gives me options in the multiple displays section unfortunately from here ive hit a snag.

if i change displays the analogue goes black and blinks, i change source and digital is doing same so its not switching properly or its looking for an analogue signal on the 2nd i guess. since both monitors selectable have analogue monitor, and it doesnt seem to want to recognise one as digital.

i guess its good theres more happening, anyone have any updated ideas on this one

Hey,

Do you have any other DVI devices you can try? Like a laptop, or any other computer? Any other video cards like your 8600?

The reason I ask is to isolate the component. It sounds like your monitor is simply on the fritz.

This isn't abnormal. I have seen certain motherboard/video/monitor combinations not work perfectly, but never with completely no display on one type of connector, and perfect display on another (where only the monitor connector is changing.

Regards,

10e

ill get my 8600 out later give it a try, but it would be odd if both ports werent using dvi.

i tried the magictune utility but it gave me a "system doesnt support" msg on it so it wont work, go figure.
i guess its a good sign when i plug my dvi in it makes the noise now, just a shame i cant get it to pick it up. format is looking more and more tempting as time goes on.

this has me boggled to say the least.

You can always try booting into safe mode and see if that helps. At least it might show a display and you can try screwing with the resolutions (if you ever get a display of course).

Regards,

10e

ill get my 8600 out later give it a try, but it would be odd if both ports werent using dvi.

i tried the magictune utility but it gave me a "system doesnt support" msg on it so it wont work, go figure.
i guess its a good sign when i plug my dvi in it makes the noise now, just a shame i cant get it to pick it up. format is looking more and more tempting as time goes on.

this has me boggled to say the least.

Back