Best Display for Console Gaming? (BenQ FP241VW vs Dell 2408WFP vs Samsung 245T)

Hey guys,

Building a new computer soon and I'm considering getting a display that can double for hooking up my Gamecube, Wii, PS2, and yet to be owned Xbox360. So basically I need something that has tons of inputs (composite, component, DVI, VGA, HDMI Svideo etc). The three displays that seem to meet this requirement are:

BenQ FP241VW ($500)
Samsung 245T ($670)
Dell 2408 ($600)

Which one is best for my needs? Specifically of concern is properlly handling input signals. So for a 16:9 image (xbox or most HD sources) there should be horizontal black bars above and below the image because displays are all 16:10. Likewise, I don't want it to stretch a 4:3 image to fill the screen so that it makes Mario look like hes packed on 50 pounds (ie there should be black bars on the sides of the image).

Also how quickly do you think the Dell and Samsung will reach the $500 range? I don't mind using my old CRT for a while longer. Also feel free to compare these monitors in any other aspects (ie lag). I will be using the PC for gaming also.

thanks!

-Dave

I like the FP241W most in this scenario.

It has half the input lag of the others of around 30ms, and even that may be overstated. The FP241VW is around 30ms, the 245T around 45ms and the Dell brings up the rear around 55ms.

On the other hand, none of them is overly laggy to use with a console. Lag is generally more important for PC, so with consoles it's not as big a deal, as long as you can keep proper timing in rhythm games.

All are good, but for value, the BenQ is best. The Dell has the most connectors, but is also the newest and suffering through the most issues. The Samsung seems pretty solid.

There is a user here (Deusfaux) who extensively tests the monitors for 3:2 aspect ratio handling (for PS2, Gamecube, etc...) so see if you can find some of his posts. I think he had concerns for all these monitors as well for use as a good 3:2 ratio display.

I think what he tests for is that with a Gamecube, the display will keep the 3:2 aspect ratio and stretch the image vertically to full screen, which (if I remember) none of these monitors do.

Regards,

10e

Why does everyone say that the 2408WFP is so input-laggy? Doesn't it have 6ms response time? What if I play games, such as: Crysis, BioShock, Shadowrun, Halo 2 PC, TimeShift, etc. on the PC and I play Call of Duty 4 and Burnout Paradise on my Xbox 360, will there be any lag?

The response time and input lag are totally different things:

The response time is how long it takes a pixel to change from one color to another (usually measured in grey to grey), and this is the 6ms figure. This is low enough now that it makes little difference to most people.

Input lag however, is the time taken before the input to the monitor is displayed on the screen due to overdrive circuits and buffering that takes place in the screen. This is usually much high than the response time, and is very high on the 2408wfp, meaning that the mouse will feel more laggy. This may not be an issue for consoles however.

*bump* I'm curious about the quality of PS2 and N64 through 24" widescreens as well. I need one for PC usage but it also has to work for my old consoles

The response time and input lag are totally different things:

The response time is how long it takes a pixel to change from one color to another (usually measured in grey to grey), and this is the 6ms figure. This is low enough now that it makes little difference to most people.

Input lag however, is the time taken before the input to the monitor is displayed on the screen due to overdrive circuits and buffering that takes place in the screen. This is usually much high than the response time, and is very high on the 2408wfp, meaning that the mouse will feel more laggy. This may not be an issue for consoles however.

Thanks for replying! So, you think that the 2408 will be perfect for watching HD movies and playing Call of Duty 4 on an Xbox 360?

*bump* I'm curious about the quality of PS2 and N64 through 24" widescreens as well. I need one for PC usage but it also has to work for my old consoles

Yes I'm still interested in this as well. Surely someone who owns one of these monitors would be kind enough to dust off their old systems and see what they look like on their monitor.

Whichever you choose, if you plan on using it for a Wii, make sure it has the least input lag possible. I'm using my Wii on my Dell 2007WFP (which has pretty low input lag) and games like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are still laggy enough that I need to predict where the cursor is going to land. This is not a problem on a lagless screen (like when I connect the system to my CRT TV), but it can make pointer-specific duties pretty maddening on a general LCD. Using the Wii VGA cable helps a bit, though.

For some reason this issue isn't nearly as noticeable with a mouse as it is with a Wiimote, so PC gaming and normal Windows use hide it pretty well. However, whether you notice it or not (analog joysticks, like on the 360, hide lag perfectly), it's still going to be affecting you. I've seen how much even minimal lag can affect my performance in games, and it's caused me to completely change my outlook when buying new LCDs. How important it is to in your case is up to you. I certainly hope you end up with the right monitor.;)

well the dell and samsung have been axed from con sideration because of input lag and not supporting 1:1 pixel mapping respectively. What about the benq? Does it support true 1:1?

So, I will only use my Wii for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. How much lag should I be able to see on these games, since the Wiimote sensor isn't needed. Also, the Dell 2408WFP does support 1:1 pixel mapping and does it correctly through DVI, doesn't it? Also, how is this monitor for PC games? Someone please give me a lot of info, I'm really interested in this monitor! I'm tried of TN monitors, only because the "colors aren't accurate", I want amazing colors, similar to an HDTV. With the Dell having a 110% Color Gamut, I think the colors must be amazing, I also hear plenty of good reviews about this monitor and that people who have this monitor can't notice any lag with their monitor through DVI, VGA, HDMI or Component.

Back