Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release to Web Delayed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Windows XP SP3 release to web date has been delayed thanks to a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. Surely this won’t have an impact on most of you but it is something you should all be aware since SP3 is no in the wild.

In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web. To help protect customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to the web.

Worked for me

sp3jh0.png

Do they even bother to test this sh*t before release? I hate MS more with every passing day. If it wernt for the fact I play games I'd have been long done with Windowz...

Do they even bother to test this sh*t before release? I hate MS more with every passing day. If it wernt for the fact I play games I'd have been long done with Windowz...

If you've read the problem statement then you'd know that the bug has to do with the "Retail Management System". This is something that the majority of XP & Vista users never see, but it is a major component for some of Microsoft's customers. And most likely few or none of the beta testers had it installed or if they did then they didn't see a problem.
So this fix really is a CYA to keep Microsoft from getting sued by a business. Just think how a hacker could exploit a "Retail Management System" to steal from or harm a business.

So... while it's inconvienient for some of us, it's still smart business on Microsoft's part.

BTW - the link to SP3 on the front page still works.

I'm thinking that the SP3 that you can still get from MS as of this morning is the final version, but that anyone using the RMS shouldn't install it until after they've announced a fix. I'm guessing that anyone else will be fine, though.

I just did a fresh install and it totally hosed my system. Everytime I try and install my printer driver services.exe crashes and I have to reboot. So back to SP2 I go. :confused:

bummer.

The bad thing is that 200,000,000,000,000,000 websites posted the link to the service pack but only maybe 20 posted the retraction / delay news that day. :(

I have no idea what was fubar'd other than what the official line from MS was but I for one am waiting for the official stuffs.

As of today (? not sure, today was the first time i noticed the "update pl0x" button on my start bar) windows wants me to download SP3 via the automatic updater, so I'm guessing the kinks have been worked out.

Any reason not to upgrade to SP3 at this time?

Back