Q9300 vs E8500?

Hiyruu

2[H]4U
In terms of price/performance, which is best?

Recently people have been debating the E8400 vs the Q6600, but maybe now we should be debating the Q9300 vs E8500.

It completely depends on what you do with your computer. None of the games or apps I use really take advantage of 4 cores. Supreme Commander does to a small extent, but I don't play it that often. I just bought a E8400 and will be testing its overclockability. If I can get it to 4+GHz I think it will be a better choice than my Q6600, which maxes out around 3.2GHz. I'll move the quad to my 2nd computer and use the E8400 for my gaming machine.

Look in my sig for the answer. I was stuck between the Q9300, Q9450 and the E8500. Decision made and I dont regret it for a moment.

Xp vs. vista
32bit vs. 64 bit
Quad vs. dual

*bangs head against wall*

Somebody should just start a website with the information to those 3 questions. Then we can all just link to it and save ourself the typing.

In terms of price/performance, which is best?

Recently people have been debating the E8400 vs the Q6600, but maybe now we should be debating the Q9300 vs E8500.

I expect this kind of question from a noobie. :(

same argument

QFT

Not this thead again. I'm going to cry.

Ditto

Xp vs. vista
32bit vs. 64 bit
Quad vs. dual

*bangs head against wall*

Forgot a few:
Nvidia vs. ATI/AMD
Intel vs. AMD
Mac vs PC

Somebody should just start a website with the information to those 6 questions. Then we can all just link to it and save ourself the typing.

wait if we got rid of those 6 topics there would be like 2 posts per day. :)

I expect this kind of question from a noobie. :(

But not from someone who's been around for 6.8 years?? Hey remember forum membership doesn't always mean age or experience level. I remember when I first joined I was owning a few people about their supposed knowledge, and people were like "damn owned by a noobie" :) Then again there are salty old jackasses all around the place (some people never learn), so we shouldn't prejudge just on forum membership "age".

Mac vs PC

Now I don't know about that one... :D

For multithreaded programs, longevity (16 months+), and excellent all around responsiveness, get the quad. If you want to play games, surf the net, but only do occasional heavy work on a PC, dual core is the way to go.

IMHO, the E8500 probably isn't worth the $75 premium over an E8400 if you go dual core. Unless you're going for 5GHz under water or extreme cooling, you're better off with an E8400 in the dual core arena.

If you want higher sheer clocks for epeen, the Q6600 will probably offer better potential than a Q9300. For power consumption and longevity, the Q9300 is a better prospect.

I have a Q9300 that runs at stock in a tiny cube case with subpar cooling that somehow stays under 60C at full load. The whole machine (IGP mobo, 2 HDD, 80 Plus PSU, 4fans, 4 sticks of RAM, 1 optical drive) comes in at right around 105W-100W power draw at the outlet when loaded. If you need killer processing power, I fully recommend a Q9300 over the Q6600.

I think you should go with an over clocked Celly at 4.0ghz!
Seriously, so much better than a new "quad" core... who needs 4 processors, do you work for Pixar or something!

go with the 8400 unless you plan on doing like crazy stuff. and if you do get a quad get one of the 45nm ones

Back