Age of Conan Beta Benchmarks

-PK-

[H]ard|Gawd
Test: Tortage01, Client: Closed Beta
Length: 111 seconds
CPU intensive: low
GPU intensive: low

Description: Run from corpse on the beach to the Altar with gate-key, after all area monsters have been killed. Preload area with a test run to avoid stuttering and kill the Pict Marauder which respawns near the end. Run along the recessed dirt path avoiding the grass where possible.

System: AMD X2 4200+ 2.5 GHz, HT link: 1125MHz, 4GB DDR2 825MHz (5-5-5-12-22-2T), 8800GTS 512MB (670 core/1944 mem/1674 shader), XP Pro 64bit w SP2 (174.74) and Vista Business 64bit w SP1 (175.12).

Settings: 1280x1024, vsync off / triple buffering off, 0AA/16AF, DirectX 9, Audio System=Off (disabled), High ingame settings, High textures, water animations turned on.

Code:
              Min  Max  Avg
Vista64       34   55   42
Vista64 SLI   47   65   62
XP64          33   55   41
XP64 SLI      47   65   61
Notes: fps is capped at 65. RAM Usage: Vista64 1000MB, XP64 750MB.

Very impressive to have the average fps at 61-62 when the cap is at 65fps, if the cap was disabled the SLI average would have been higher. SLI appears to scale very well with this game, a 50% increase in performance which was held back by a fps cap!

Difference from open beta's high settings afaik:

High/Low Render distance and Object/Model distance sliders = high presets
Texture resolution = High
Enable animations in water = on
Screen space ambient occlusion = on
Specular on ground = off (it kept crashing and turning itself off), Edit: works fine with the latest update
specular on terrain = off, dx10 only
alpha blending = off, dx10 only
alpha testing = off, dx10 only

Closed Beta NDA has been lifted for the 1-13 experience to match that of Open Beta. Performance is subject to change. Feel free to post your benchmarks below. :D I'll try to get some larger scale group tests done in a few days.

excellent, i have my new machine and a preorder for conan. :D

excellent, i have my new machine and a preorder for conan. :D

:p

I won't have a new machine until after the AoC release, although I have the AoC CE pre-ordered. I'm just hoping to get playable FPS (i.e. 20-25) with my current computer.

looks like my twin 9600GT's will love this game.... i have the beta donwloadin at home now..and it will be ready to run when i get home from work... cant wait

After the latest update which has lots of performance fixes, lower load times, less stuttering, and no 65 fps cap:

Code:
              Min  Max  Avg
Vista64 SLI   47   87   63
XP64          33   54   41
XP64 SLI      45   82   60

Maybe now that the stuttering isn't so random I can run some group tests. Again this area is not the most demanding in the game, in certain areas of tortage it can be as much as 10-15 fps less all around.

Have you tried with AA 4x or 8x I noticed it doesn't take a big hit with either enabled and has noticeable eye candy.

Looking forward to this game, start downloading the client on the 14th.. play on the 17th and pick up the retail copy on the 20th :p

Huge performance gain with today’s patch. Before I’d get 35-60 @ 1920x1200 and a lot of the time it felt slightly stutter…I guess some call it hitching, so it didn’t really feel as fast as the reported frame rate.

Now I’m getting 50-70+ in the same areas and it feels very smooth. Load screens went from 20-30 seconds to 5-10.

Any updates to this? People in game are yapping that AoC doesn't support SLI? Just talking out of their asses?

Sounds like it was doing good in beta (which I didn't play)

Too bad right now I'm getting 10-20 fps average on low with my x1950xtx in cities like tortage

Thankfully I finished it and moved onto the next... only to be greeted by even harder FPS rape. Me and a million others seem to have awful, awful performance no where near those numbers.

8800's seem to have enough horsepower to plow through it anyway with still acceptable FPS, but anything less will merely be crushed. Changing settings yields almost no difference at all. My buddy has an 8800gt and even it gets bogged down to horrifying levels at times.

There's a topic on their forums showing how RivaTuner says the GPU load is like 30-50% while playing... what? Other games will drag it up as expected, by this mysteriously barely uses the GPU and lags like shit as a result.

They broke something, somewhere. I love the game so far, I hope they fix it.

Playing on the computer in my sig. Getting 8 - 13 FPS in Tortage, 13 - 20 FPS outside. Large battles almost freeze the screen. The new video cards can't come soon enough, so I can get a new computer.

I've disabled Bloom and Shadows, and set Shaders to 2.0.

Sounds like it was doing good in beta (which I didn't play)

Too bad right now I'm getting 10-20 fps average on low with my x1950xtx in cities like tortage

Thankfully I finished it and moved onto the next... only to be greeted by even harder FPS rape. Me and a million others seem to have awful, awful performance no where near those numbers.

8800's seem to have enough horsepower to plow through it anyway with still acceptable FPS, but anything less will merely be crushed. Changing settings yields almost no difference at all. My buddy has an 8800gt and even it gets bogged down to horrifying levels at times.

There's a topic on their forums showing how RivaTuner says the GPU load is like 30-50% while playing... what? Other games will drag it up as expected, by this mysteriously barely uses the GPU and lags like shit as a result.

They broke something, somewhere. I love the game so far, I hope they fix it.

Ouch, my rig does just fine. I was doing a mission after you get captured in tortage, now, that is where I got hit [H]ard.

I dont know why, but the game doesnt look like it would need so much power. I mean graphically it doesnt seem that better than Oblivion.

Can we get some updated numbers on Age of Conan performance with 8800 or 9800 cards?

I dont know why, but the game doesnt look like it would need so much power. I mean graphically it doesnt seem that better than Oblivion.

For a MMO, it's fairly demanding. They don't usually try to be anywhere near cutting-edge graphics, for the simple reason that every customer who can't run their game is essentially a potential customer they'll never reach.

~Semi

It actually really does look better. Most Textures are of awesome quality, specially the buildings. The thing that makes people think that the game looks like crap are the tress, they do look awful. Character models and fog along with everything else is top notch, that is exactly why this game is so demanding.

Agreed. The detailed textures in AoC are terrific. Also, the lighting and environmental effects and view distances are excellent. Overall, not mind-blowing, but very impressive graphics -- noticably better than Oblivion in any case. Trees are is the exception; also, the lack of any HDR is utterly confusing to me...

It does take a powerful machine to run at highest settings. I'm running at 1920x1080 2xAA with everything max (all sliders, bloom) and get avg. 80 FPS indoors and 50 FPS outdoors with some hitching. With SLI disabled, FPS dips to nearly unplayable at those settings.

i get between 25 and 65 frames per second with the following settings -

Basic settings:
High
1920x1200
4x AA

Advanced settings:
Every slider that is not by default (High) maxed out set to 75%
Every tick box for graphics options selected.

All in all i am very happy.

my brother using the middle PC in my sig gets around 15 to 30 frames per second using the following options -

Basic settings:
Low
1024x768

Advanced settings:
Every slider set to minimum.
No tick-boxes for graphics options checked.

the game was unplayable until we put a second GB of memory in it.

Agreed. The detailed textures in AoC are terrific. Also, the lighting and environmental effects and view distances are excellent. Overall, not mind-blowing, but very impressive graphics -- noticably better than Oblivion in any case. Trees are is the exception; also, the lack of any HDR is utterly confusing to me...

It does take a powerful machine to run at highest settings. I'm running at 1920x1080 2xAA with everything max (all sliders, bloom) and get avg. 80 FPS indoors and 50 FPS outdoors with some hitching. With SLI disabled, FPS dips to nearly unplayable at those settings.

Damn, yea I guess SLI helps in this game. Anyway, the trees really make this game look like total crap in some areas. I just can't bare staring at them much longer.

Running at 1920x1200 and all settings maxed out i average around 28fps. With SLI on i have around 55ish. This game scales REALLY well will SLI. Cant wait to trade in my 9800GTX sLI for the GTX280 SLI, then i'll be able to cap out the AA :p

Veedub, those numbers are in-line with what I'm seeing (I'm playing all maxed at 1920x1080). Ya, AoC does seem to scale well with SLI. I wonder how Crossfire does...

Despite reports to the contrary, the FPS is NOT capped at 65. I commonly get 85+ when not fighting in indoors areas.

That said, before further results are reported, it would be really helpful to see people list the difference in performance between indoors (e.g., underhalls) vs. outdoors (e.g., Tortage). Much like oblivion, the difference can be vast between the two.

An earlier version of the closed beta client seemed to have a 65 FPS cap. That is gone though now.

I tend to be fine outdoors, but when i got to that one city with the flowing grass even with sli i dropped to like 10fps. But it was pretty at least :p

I tend to be fine outdoors, but when i got to that one city with the flowing grass even with sli i dropped to like 10fps. But it was pretty at least :p

Even with SLI'd 9800GTX's, you are getting 10fps in some areas?!

Is this game the new Crysis?

Its the MMO version of crysis yes. The city i'm talking about looked like a flowing wheat field. Plus i have my viewing distance way up, i think 2800m. Cant wait for SLI gtx 280s so i can go 16x AA :D

Its the MMO version of crysis yes. The city i'm talking about looked like a flowing wheat field. Plus i have my viewing distance way up, i think 2800m. Cant wait for SLI gtx 280s so i can go 16x AA :D

That viewing instance may be the key.

Is there any way you or someone else can try it again at that particular location with some settings changes (such as the viewing distance) to see if it's a certain settings?

I see that some of you are running AoC with SLI, and you say it scales well. Is anyone running AoC using CrossFired ATI cards?

I run AoC with PC in sig at 1440x900 with 2x AA and every ingame setting maxed, i dont think the grass distance slider does a dam thing lol, grass draw distance seems to be the same lol.

i get 40-80outside and 15-40 in major cities like Tarantia <<< awesome city. feels like Gondor in ROTK

Anyone know if we'll see a performance review of this from the main site? I'm scared my 256 MB 3850 wont hold up.

Anyone know if we'll see a performance review of this from the main site? I'm scared my 256 MB 3850 wont hold up.

Well, you might not be able to run at the highest settings, but combined with your CPU running at 3.2GHz, you should be fine with less than maximum settings. The game will default the video settings based on your configuration, so just start with that, and tweak as necessary.

Back