Killer[MoB] Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — March 2008

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Killer[MoB] Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month — March 2008

Please join me, Pocatello, in congratulating Killer[MoB] for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for March 2008. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,269 active folders. Killer[MoB] is currently ranked #27 on our team; #415 worldwide; and he has 3,296,642 points. In March of 2008 he produced about 250,000 points. He has completed 29,971 work units!

genome@home Overall Rank: 229 Points: 7,871.77

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

A little north of 3.1 million (and growing). I’m looking forward to hitting 30,000 work units.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

745,505 United Devices points. No WCG points.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

3 Personal, no borgs

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

3/19/01 @4:00pm is when I started folding. It was version 1 at that time. I may have completed a SETI unit or two sometime before that. I have run Folding@Home, Genome@Home, United Devices, and a few other medical research projects we have tried out over the years. All for the [H]orde of course. Over 20 computers here at home at one point in time so I might be a bit crazy.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

Always has been for the [H]orde. 3/19/01.

What is your average F@H points per month?

These days, I’m doing 250,000+ PPM without much trouble since the latest rounds of upgrades.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

Yes, I ran United Devices along side F@H on some of my machines back in the day.

How about WCG?

No, I haven’t tried WCG. I guess I’m more of the folding type. It’s a challenge to squeak every point out a system and it’s nice to see the work units churn out as fast as you can make them.

Any other DC projects?

Find-A-Drug, D2OL and Distributed Folding are the other ones I can think of.

Name:

Tom

Macon, Georgia

Self Employed Sub Contractor. I install satellite systems and manage two areas.

Hobbies:

Computers, some computer gaming (racing and FPS), photography. If I had money and more time, the list would be a heck of a lot longer. Restoring my GTA for example and I would start shooting in archery tournaments again. Traveling with my beautiful wife to places we've never been... or even heard of for that matter. Etc, etc.

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

Killer[MoB]. It means I wasn’t very creative when I first started playing Quake. That was pretty much the start of my internet life. I was asked to join a clan. That’s the [MoB] part... Massive oBliteration. It was a local clan and we all got together for LANs plus all the internet play. The clan is no more. The leader and one other member work for a little company called Infinity Ward... maybe you’ve heard of them.

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

It’s great. Everyone nominated could have easily been the winner. It was my first nomination so I got lucky to win it on my first go.

Why do you think you were chosen?

I think I got some old school votes because we are all pretty good friends. Many from way back may have remembered my nightly stats updates. It was an eagerly anticipated nightly event on the forum for a while. My two guides may have swung a few votes.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

It really has to be the medical science. I thought SETI wasn’t worth running more than to just try it the one time back when I had just two computers. So about $16,000 in Newegg invoices plus others from other places later, I’m still doing it. It must be the science... or I’m addicted.

Why do you DC for the [H]ard [H]orde at [H]ard OCP?

I joined the [H]ard|Forum to post some pics in the case modding section. I got introduced to the DC forum and the rest is history. I was onboard from just about the beginning of the F@H team.

Can you tell us about your Guide, “Guide: Dual Windows SMP Clients on a Quad,” and what motivated you to write this [H]ard Guide?

I had been running it and had discovered the problems with it and worked out my solutions. As it became more of a topic of discussion and interest in it was growing, I figured I would put it all out there for everyone so everyone would know what they were getting into before they ever did it.

Guide: Dual Windows SMP Clients on a Quad

The Guide is really cool. Can you tell us more about it?

It was fairly easy to do. The guide is pretty self explanatory. I’m also pretty happy with my solution to the network drop issue in WinXP and I’m proud of the guide for that. Plus I’m happy with how well each guide was received by the [H]orde.

Guide: How to prevent network drops from killing the Windows SMP folding client in Windows XP

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Cancer. It seems to be the dragon that has affected so many, young and old. It literally is something that I don’t even like to think about and can make you uneasy at even the mention of it. It knows no friend and should be defeated. Although, I feel to get a grip on any of them would open many doors to cures for others since a mis-folded protein is a common occurrence with the development of so many horrible diseases.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

I’m a grandpa to two beautiful girls ages 2 and 4…and I’m 36.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

Steady as she goes as funds allow, as always. I would, however, love to see my boxen become idle from there being no need to fold for the cure any longer.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

No. I’m the borgless wonder.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

The same as always….it’s kinda like an “anything goes” Gen-May as long as we can somehow relate the post to folding.

Long term?

Long term will be much of the same. We’ll have many new people come and go. Some that are around now, will be gone. Some that are gone, will come back. There’s always going to be a group that will always be around. I consider myself one of those. It’s in our blood. Always watching, reading even if not always posting. I have about 3,900 [H] posts... about 3,700 of those are in the DC forum I bet.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

Someone needs to win a lottery and then buy every active [H] folder a quad. That’ll surely keep things interesting. At least 5 new LottoQuad threads a day.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I’m going to dig up an old nightly stats update post to share with the noobs. Look for that in a thread near you soon.

Did I forget to ask you anything?

No, you did a fine job asking.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Win! For the [H]orde!

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC’er of the month.

Thanks!

.:D

Many were not around when Killer's stats were THE [H] stats.

I remember well, and I am proud to honor one of [H] DC's finest.
A true [H]ero and one of the [H]ardest folders ever.

Thanks, Tom, for being an inspiration.

Excellent interview as usual. Thank you Killer for the years of dedication and congrats for the recognition.

I remember the stats from the [H]orde's push to 2,000,000 points, 5,000,000 from the top 3 teams.

Congrats and nice interview.

Luck .............. :D

Nice interview and it's about time you got your nod is all I can say. :):cool:

Great interview ! This allowed me to learn a bit more about the dawn of the [H]orde and why it's becoming what we are (madness full of addicted stats junkies and popcorn eaters) :D

Fold on !

Wow! Nice interview!

beer and tamales after the break
stick around !! ;)

Wow! Nice interview!

beer and tamales after the break
stick around !! ;)

Is this girl for real? Sheesh, back to the point here -> It's a honor to bestow you with a open palm of mine and offer you a TUNA slap to the face... Oh wait, I meant a good [H]ands[h]ake... Even though I'm quite one of the younger ones around here, I still look up to many of the older (longer folding sheeps than I) and still learn something new...

It's truly a semanticist's reason to why [H] is one of the best team all around.

It seems we like to put [H] in everything we type.

On Be[H]alf of myself, and [H]alf the little voices I [H]ear in my [H]ead, congrats Killer[MoB]

Very nice interview. A lot of [H]istory and memories there. Congrats Killer on a well-earned title :cool: :)

Nice interview guys... It truly is nice to learn some of the [H]istory surrounding the [H]orde...

Hopefully, we'll all stick around for a nice long stay... I plan to....as long as there are warm tamales and a few cold beers... you know I'll be here:)

Back