[H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
[H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program

Q & A

1) What is the Community Boxen Program?

It is a program designed to use donated parts from [H] users to build working boxen for use in the Folding@Home Project for Team 33

2) Who will be in charge of the program?
The program will be run by several members.

Administrator – Will oversee the program & keep track of any program funds.
Coordinators– Will assign location, track boxen production and specs.
Builders –Will build the boxen and handle shipping duties.

3) How can I help?

First and foremost, parts donations. The project will rely entirely on parts donated by members.
We will maintain a running list of needed parts at the bottom of this post.
If you have parts you would like to donate that aren’t on the list, pm a program coordinator to determine if the parts can be used.

4) I don’t have any parts, but I would like to help with a money donation?
Yes, you can make a donation to help offset shipping costs.
Donations can be sent via paypal to - Alchemists (A) hotmail.com
Contact EvilAlchemist if you have any questions or want to make a donation via check.

We ask you include your Username so we can give you credit and our thanks.

5) How will the community know how much has been donated?

The program administrator will post the donation account balance and any expenditures from that account in an itemized list.

6) I want to give a boxen a home, who do I need to ask?
The program Coordinator (with the possible assistance/approval of the forum staff) will determine the user that will house the boxen

7) What user will the boxen for under?
The Boxen will have a specified user name and must fold 100% under that name for team #33 (Example – [H]Boxen1 - [H]Boxen2 - and so on )

8) If I do house a boxen, can I make upgrades to it?

Yes, you are allowed to upgrade components in the boxen if you wish.
Upgrades must be approved by the program Coordinator.

9) What if a boxen component fails?

If a component fails, the “Houser” will need to contact the program coordinator or builder to request a replacement part.

In the event of a major system failure, the boxen will need to be shipped back to one of the builders for refurbishment.

10) Who will pay for the shipping?

The boxen will be shipped to the “Houser” by the builder.
Donations to the program will be used to help offset the shipping costs

If a member can no longer house a boxen, they will be responsible for shipping the boxen back to the builder. If the funds are available, donation money will be used to help offset the shipping cost.

11) How can I become a Builder or Coordinator?

When we have an available position or when we need more assitance, we will post an opening to all team members/

Rules For Donating Hardware
1) Hardware must be in be working condition.
2) All shipping costs are the responsibility of the person donating the hardware.
3) All donated hardware becomes the property of the [H]ardocp F@H Team.

Rules for Housing A Community Boxen
1) User must be in good standing with the forum and community.
2) The boxen must be used for Folding@Home only.
3) The boxen must be housed with that user for a period of no less then 6 months.
4) Must provide the Program Coordinator will complete contact information.

****************************************************************************************
We would like to thank Kyle, MajorDomo & Admins for the approval and support of this program.

Current Boxen Status

If you have parts you wish to donate, please contact Digital_Exhaust

[H]Boxen1 - EVGA 384-P3-N966-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB Video Card
Boxen With: PsychoFanatic

[H]Boxen2 - EVGA 384-P3-N966-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB Video Card
Boxen With: schenksmill

[H]Boxen3 - Pentium 4 (3.9Ghz) - 2GB Ram - 40GB HD - 3850 AGP - GUP2 Client
Boxen With: Oraldlight

[H]Boxen4
Boxen With: Not Online Yet

Current Program Staff

Administrator – EvilAlchemist -
Coordinators – Digital_Exhaust - Kendrak
Builders – Digital_Exhaust

Donations can be sent via paypal to - Alchemists (A) hotmail.com

Donation Account Balance - $15.00 (See Note)

*Note* $100.00 is tied up in MIR's .. will be re-add to balance when they arrive.

Have we established how we can donate to the general fund? Will there be a bank account set up to store the funds? or will they just be held in trust by the administrator?

Have we established how we can donate to the general fund? Will there be a bank account set up to store the funds? or will they just be held in trust by the administrator?

Until Mr Kyle or an admin give the nod of approval, can't accept donations.
Gotta make sure this is all cool with them.

If / When it is approved, we will have a paypal account setup.
Donations will be listed in the thread so the community knows where we stand.

Good luck taking off. I truly wish it would work and just seeing Tigerbiten telling a PM is sent, I do expect a avalanche of parts your way ;)

Just make a list of missing parts and I'll see what I can do to contribute.

P.S. : BillR is right, in a lawsuit happy country, it's important to write a good disclaimer form that the people who will house the boxens will sign and be kept in Kyle's office in case something happen. The form should be something like "The logo is [H] property. We are not responsible for any event happening due to the presence of the boxens, bla bla". Let's say it's something like a contract.

I guess that to get this approved by Kyle, we need to have this aspect covered so some advice from a lawyer is a good idea (I bet there is someone with free counseling services who could ask what to do).

Indemnification

You agree to indemnify and hold ____________________________________ its officers, subsidiaries, parents, affiliates, successors, assigns, directors, officers, agents, service providers, suppliers and employees, as well as any and all hardware computer associated or not either received, assembled or shipped by or to any second party and beyond, Including no implied or expressed warrantee on opperablity, sutiabily for the task including but not limited to any and all physical damages resulting from the use of said hardwareharmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney fees and court costs, made by any third party due to, relating to, or arising out of Content you submit, post or make available through the Site, your use of the Site, your violation of the Terms, your breach of any of the representations and warranties herein, or your violation of any rights of others.

Somthing like this should work;)

I wish all my spare parts weren't from the Pentium 2 era :(
Well... I think I have a 20 gig HDD somewhere. Hmmmmm, I'll check tonight for some old smaller HDD's.

I may even have a Quantum Fireball (woot)

Update: Got Stats loaded onto Boxen Area.
Will be adding a few more Q&A tonight ..

If you have parts you wish to donate, please contact Digital_Exhaust.

*Update

Got it approved today to accept money donations to the project.

Donations will be used to help offset shipping costs .. or buy misc parts when needed for boxen.

Well I've got MoBo's, CPU's and Memory that I'm will to donate.
Hence the earlier PM.

The shipping to the State is only going to cost me £150-£200, which I'm happy to pay.
What we're trying to find out is how much inport duty is payable shipping from the UK to the States.
I'm going down to DHL tomorrow to see if I can find out any more info on this subject.

Luck ............ :D

Checking on this end as well..... as soon as I have any solid information, you'll be the first to know.

Glad we were able to secure permission to move forward with this, so here's a big Thank You to Kyle and company!!

Fold On!!

You can put me down as a potential host site, I have 15 open ports on my Ethernet switch and plenty of juice to spare. Not sure what else I can donate at this point.

I have a few 40-160 GB PATA HDD, 1 DVD-ROM, 1 CD-ROM, lots of various memory (mostly PC133 and DDR that you can sell to regain some bucks toward better parts, too hard to sell from Canada), a few low-end processors and a bunch of parts needed to build the boxens.

This is something I wanted to get rid in a way or another before I move to the condo and I'm willing to ship everything at my cost as a donation.

I have a few 40-160 GB PATA HDD, 1 DVD-ROM, 1 CD-ROM, lots of various memory (mostly PC133 and DDR that you can sell to regain some bucks toward better parts, too hard to sell from Canada), a few low-end processors and a bunch of parts needed to build the boxens.

This is something I wanted to get rid in a way or another before I move to the condo and I'm willing to ship everything at my cost as a donation.

Check your pm:)

You can put me down as a potential host site, I have 15 open ports on my Ethernet switch and plenty of juice to spare. Not sure what else I can donate at this point.

I'll make sure that Kendrak gets in touch with you as soon as the boxen are built, tested and stable... and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the offer:)

As Digi said I'll be giving the stamps of approval, I'm sure this will make me an unpopular person at times but.... meh :p

After we get a box put together and stable I will ask for names.

Are there any guidelines for a bare minimum of hardware that would be useful?

I think anything that could be used in a box that would generate 500ppd would work. Evil, Digi that sound about right?

I think anything that could be used in a box that would generate 500ppd would work. Evil, Digi that sound about right?

Yep, as long as it's something that can help a boxen run the console client and make preferred deadlines, it's fine by me.

Every wu, every point matters!!!!

I've got an A64 3000 that oc's easily to 2.8ghz+ and a NIB A64 3200 (never used)that I can donate if mobos are available. Otherwise if someone wants to give $20 a piece to help fund another q6600 for me, that works too :D

p.s neither one has a hsf....they either ended up with the ex, are still in storage 1100 miles away or in use currently

Wow .. That is all I can say ..

Thanks to all of you so far that have donated parts... & those who have donated money to the program.

Digital_Exaust has been flooded with PM's and parts being shipped to him

As soon as he gets them, we will post a list of what we have and start to get the boxens built.

Many thanks to the team so far, we are off to a great start.

I've got an A64 3000 that oc's easily to 2.8ghz+ and a NIB A64 3200 (never used)that I can donate if mobos are available. Otherwise if someone wants to give $20 a piece to help fund another q6600 for me, that works too :D

p.s neither one has a hsf....they either ended up with the ex, are still in storage 1100 miles away or in use currently

Don't worry about the HSF, I got 1 unused with a Sempron 2800+ that I'm going to donate. This can be used with the cpu overclocked to 2.2-2.4 GHz fine.

Evil said it best.....Wow.....

Guys, your support and donations have been incredible, really. Thank you all so much....yet further proof that the [H]orde is indeed the [H]ardest team in the world!!!

Fold On and Fold [H]ard!!!

Don't worry about the HSF, I got 1 unused with a Sempron 2800+ that I'm going to donate. This can be used with the cpu overclocked to 2.2-2.4 GHz fine.

Ok, then whoever needs the pm's let me know....I can get them out next week since I'm going out of town for the weekend.

Ok, then whoever needs the pm's let me know....I can get them out next week since I'm going out of town for the weekend.

That would be me.... I'll send you shipping info.

Thanks guys, we really appreciate everything you all are doing for our project!!!

We are looking good on parts for the first few boxens ..... but we always need more ..

Assuming we get some $ donations to help with shipping .. we should have these in good homes and folding with a few weeks .....

New donations....

I will be donating two complete P4 2g dedicated folding boxen to the project as soon as I have their replacements up and running.... Should be towards the end of the week, or possibly the beginning of the following week...

If anyone is interested in giving these boxen a good home, let Michael or Kendrak know, and we'll get the shipping arrangements put together.

Currently these boxen are consistently crunching the bonus wu's no problem. I have not had one EUE yet and they have been running very stable. They are running the diskless client and are headless (no HD, no GPU)....

Here are the parts that have been commited to the program and are being shipped to the builder: Thanks to everyone who is giving parts .... we always can use more ....this program is just getting started!

Sunin:
Q6600 stock HSF x8
PATA CD drive x2 - 500w generic PSU x2
Seasonic 80+ 300w PSU x1 - Abit IN73H x1
PCI Video card x1 - Pentium M CPU x1
Various cables

Airbatica:

Pentium D 805 x1 - Intel 10/100 network card x4
Netgear 8 port switch x1 - Fore Systems 24 port switch x1
Aten Masterview 4 port KVM x1

Jon855:
Lanboy Case x1 - Antec True II 500w PSU x1
Asus A8R MVP x1 - 3800 X2 CPU x1 - Sycthe Ninja HSF x1
1g DDR 400 x2 - Lite On DVD x1

Xilikon:
Several HDD’s of various sizes
DVD Rom x1 - CD ROM x1
RAM of various types and capacities -Unspecified CPU’s of various speeds
Sempron 2800+ w/stock HSF x1

SpoogeMonkey:
3000 A64 x1 - 3200 NIB A64 x1

Ice_9:
Unspecified CPU’s - Unspecified HDD’s
Unspecified CD ROM’s

EvilAlchemist:
Antec 380 EW - DVD-Rom x 2, 120MM Fans x 6, PCI Fans x 2

Digital_Exhaust:
ATX CASES x 2 - Complete P4 Boxen x 2

We're going to need donor homes for the boxen pretty soon... the two P4 boxen I have should be ready for shipping within two weeks...

If anyone would like to be considered as a host for one of them, please get in touch with Kendrak.....

I also have a P4 3ghz chip to donate. Step dad somehow managed to force a stick of ram in the wrong way and killed the memory....and possibly the mobo so I will see if the mobo is any good or you can upgrade one of those 2ghz boxes.There's also an agp vid card in there too....nothing fancy, just something to drive a monitor. I'll see what else I can come up with and get it all together.

I also have a P4 3ghz chip to donate. Step dad somehow managed to force a stick of ram in the wrong way and killed the memory....and possibly the mobo so I will see if the mobo is any good or you can upgrade one of those 2ghz boxes.There's also an agp vid card in there too....nothing fancy, just something to drive a monitor. I'll see what else I can come up with and get it all together.

Anything you have can and will be used... and a 3g proc will be a nice upgrade for one of the boxen I'm donating if we don't have another board for it......

Thanks for everything guys.. appreciate it!!!

Sunin:
Q6600 stock HSF x8
PATA CD drive x2 - 500w generic PSU x2
Seasonic 80+ 300w PSU x1 - Abit IN73H x1
PCI Video card x1 - Pentium M CPU x1
Various cables

I ended up sending only 4 HSF due to the box being 100% full. I also sent a network card, a few modems, 4 or so network cables, 8 Arctic 5 Ceramique Thermal pastes and a few others, so hopefully stuff that can be used.. oh I also inlcuded a 4 port router!

Enjoy!

In a couple of weeks I'll be sending 4 1gb sticks of DDR21066 your way. Just looking for a two stick replacement by the likes of A-data or something.

Just another msg.

For those who want to give these wonderful little boxen a home and a bit of power please send me a PM.

I will go though you request along with the others and try and find the best place for the first round of boxen.

I recently ordered a case that came with a 580w Sunbeam PSU basically free. I plan on buying an Earthwatts to replace it.

So, any interest in a free Sunbeam PSU 580W... apparently they aren't the best, but hey, its free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back