RAID 0 vs 1 vs 0+1 vs 5 HD Tach data (up to 4 drives)

Dew itt right

2[H]4U

-
-
-
-
-
-

I'm going thru a hardware change and I had some free time so I thought I'd benchmark some different RAID arrays and compare the numbers. I'm no disk storage system guru so I'm sure there are better ways of doing this but all I did was run each array through HDTach and post the results. I used a seperate Seagate HDD to run the OS while running these drives on the system in the sig. Hope this helps somebody...
-
-
-
-
-
-

4 identical disks used: Western Digital WD1600YS RE (RAID Edition)
**160GB capacity
**SATAII 3.0 Gb/sec interface
**16Mb cache
**7200RPM
-
-
-
-
-
-
RAIDDATA.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Single drive (JBOD)
RAID1.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Two drives striped (RAID 0)
RAID2.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Three drives striped (RAID 0)
RAID3.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Four drives striped (RAID 0)
RAID4.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Two drives mirrored (RAID 1)
RAID5.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Four drives striped and mirrored (RAID 0+1)
RAID6.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Three drives in RAID 5
RAID7.JPG

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

**Four drives in RAID 5
RAID8.JPG

wow theres a huge difference between 2 and 3 disk raid 0. nice graphs, thanks for putting them up.

what controller did you use? my raid 10 of 4 x wd1600ys is a lot faster

This is raid 10 of 4 wd1600ys on highpoint rocketraid 2300

HDTune_Benchmark_HPT_2300-4xwd1600ys%20in%20raid10.png

Is there a difference between RAID 1+0 and RAID 0+1? I used the onboard RAID controller on the 780i board.

there is no diff performance wise only benefit of 1+0 over 0+1 is that 1+0 can survive a simultaneous failure of 2 drives
It's probably the nvidia chipset, they are known for crappy raid performance. I would be curious to see how it works on ICH9R

I really hope you aren't using HD Tach as an indication of overall performance

I really hope you aren't using HD Tach as an indication of overall performance

What would you suggest...

BTW, I was running these 4 drives striped on my P35 board before this (ICH9R RAID controller) and the 4-way stripe speeds were very close if not slightly lower than with the nVidia board.

What would you suggest...

BTW, I was running these 4 drives striped on my P35 board before this (ICH9R RAID controller) and the 4-way stripe speeds were very close if not slightly lower than with the nVidia board.
real world application loading times

HDTach shows the theoretical transfer rates of RAID0 and, to a lesser extent, RAID5 as being very high, and these will also probably do well at file copies between drives. But remember that a single-user workload is very unlikely to show anywhere near this level of improvement, if any at all, because it's generally doing simple reads (not asynchronous) which don't benefit at all from RAID.

It puzzles me why so many people are keen to spend a lot of money on Raptors in RAID0 for negligible to minimal benefit, unless they're constantly copying large files around.

...But remember that a single-user workload is very unlikely to show anywhere near this level of improvement, if any at all, because it's generally doing simple reads (not asynchronous) which don't benefit at all from RAID...

I don't know about that. I've seen a dramatic improvement in OS and program loading times.

How about spending $1000+ for a 64Gb SSD? :eek:

Here is my RAID 0 setup on a IP35 motherboard using two 500GB 32MB cache Seagate SATA drives.

88692138yl2.jpg

Synthetic benchmarks are useless. We need real world numbers. Then you'd see that RAID 0 is worthless in most day to day operations. And professional real world benchmarks agree. And I have tested this myself and had the same results.

Synthetic benchmarks are useless. We need real world numbers. Then you'd see that RAID 0 is worthless in most day to day operations. And professional real world benchmarks agree. And I have tested this myself and had the same results.

Who peed in your punch bowl?

wow...guess the 3Ware paid off. I have a 4 drive RAID 5 that reads at around 145MB/s, burst around 290MB/s

Back