Eee PC performace in Visual Studio 2008?

Tower

Gawd
I am remotely interested in purchasing an upcoming Eee PC with a 9-10" screen for obvious reasons--email, web access, messaging--but also for mobile coding.

I'm a beginner, so I'm not insanely complex stuff, but I'm wondering how Visual Studio runs on the hardware.

If I did get an Eee, I'd jam it full of RAM, so that's no concern. I'm just wondering how the CPU (mobile celeron or Atom) will run.

Can anyone point me to benchmarks, or give me personal (or secondhand) testimony?

I think space might be an issue, but it should run ok. The resolution is going to really limit you.

I am remotely interested in purchasing an upcoming Eee PC with a 9-10" screen for obvious reasons--email, web access, messaging--but also for mobile coding.

I'm a beginner, so I'm not insanely complex stuff, but I'm wondering how Visual Studio runs on the hardware.

If I did get an Eee, I'd jam it full of RAM, so that's no concern. I'm just wondering how the CPU (mobile celeron or Atom) will run.

Can anyone point me to benchmarks, or give me personal (or secondhand) testimony?

i'm wondering a little about this myself since i'm going into CS.

is the new Eee with the atom going to have more space? This would be a rocking developer to go laptop.

is the new Eee with the atom going to have more space? This would be a rocking developer to go laptop.
I think Asus announced that the Eee PC 900 with XP is getting 12GB and the Linux version is getting 20GB of built in space. The prices are pretty crazy high though.

I'll wait to see what Dell is offering in their 9" UMPC.

currently the Atom is not much faster then the current ULV Celeron M chip currently being used. Personally find a used 12inch like an IBM X41/X40. Plenty of power, and a much better keyboard.

the CPU isn't the problem, its the SCREEN RESOLUTION!!!!

argh, sorry... but I have a laptop with a 1.2ghz Banias Pentium M.... so its about EEE PC category in terms of CPU power, and the CPU is just fine for my CS projects....

but the resolution is a major productivity killer.... 1024x768 on a 12 inch screen just doesn't cut it for serious coding, and i think the 9 inch EEE has a 1024x600 screen.

so yea, not recommended by me anyway.... but not because of the CPU....

I personally couldn't code on such a small screen. I would think a 14 or 15 inch would be better then an ultraportable for portability.

I love my Eee, but I agree with everyone here that what you're wanting to do is pushing it. I'm not saying it can't be done, if you absolutely want/need something ultra portable, but just be aware of the limitations. The First EeePC 900's will have the same 900MHz Celeron M, but running at 900MHz instead of 630MHz. The Linux model comes with 20GB, the WinXP 12GB, but it is not all one drive. It has the same 4GB SSD as the 701, and a second module in either 16GB or 8GB.

Here's an alternative if you're worried about performance...

I've got an eeePC 1000H and what I do is simply access Visual Studio remotely on another machine. This gives me the portability of the netbook, and the performance for a full-power development machine.

Obviously there are some limitations (ie, connectivity and having to scroll around the screen sometimes), but my experience so far (it's been a few months) is that it works well enough to keep me from getting frustrated and also stay highly productive.

Back