Doom 4, What do you think?

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I just read the announcement on the [H] front page and since no comments thread was created for it I figured I'd make one here. What do you all think about this? I had no idea they were planning ANOTHER Doom. I personally enjoyed D3, of course it had it's problems such as being too dark or monsters stuffed in closets but I think they are very much aware of the community response to the problems with D3 and would most probably fix them or design the game differently.. I guess time will tell but I think there aren't enough fps horror games so I look forward to it.

I like the idea. I enjoyed Doom 3 very much and, coupled with the Resurrection of Evil expansion, it was awesome. I just hope they make Doom 4 with more replayability and not so confined in areas, which is something I don't like in the days of Crysis, STALKER and other similar games.

This is the first time I've heard of Doom 4, lol. If they are developing it, I'm pretty excited. I actually really enjoyed Doom 3...sure it was a bit repetitive, but I thought it was one of the better FPS that I've played in the past few years.

I don't think there's really alot they need to change. An updated engine is almost a given, but if they varied the gameplay more and made it less repetitive, I think the game could be huge. I think if they threw in some open-endedness like Crysis or STALKER that would get rid of just about all the repetitiveness issues and it would add a whole new dimension to the game.

Doom is a classic, Doom3 was very good for it's day, you get a lot of people moaning about it being too dark and all the scares being things jumping in your face, but that's just what doom is, it's like going to a Julia Roberts movie and complaining about the crying.

I want mroe doom, more tight corridoors, more dark areas, more zombies, more technical improvements, I'm sure they'll deliver.

I know people whined about Doom3, but screw them. id will learn from their mistakes and make something rediculous for D4.

Doom with a farcry/crysis style open-air Mars full of military bases, zombies, demons and desperate marines. Do it, now.

"Doom 3 looks great. I can't wait until somebody makes a game with the engine."

If doom 4 is anything like Doom2... We will see LOTS AND LOTS of open space....

Either way... I loved Doom3. it just rock or rather scared the shit outa me at some points.

But for the most.. More Doom plz :D

Im open to a Doom 4, I just hope they add some more to the gameplay. Make it more open ended, etc. The whole wander into this room, monster jump out, kill monster tactic in Doom 3 wore out on me half way through the game and I have yet to beat it. Its not that I don't want to, its just I lost my game due to hard drive crash am very discourage to go through the 8 hours I already beat again.

Im open to a Doom 4, I just hope they add some more to the gameplay. Make it more open ended, etc. The whole wander into this room, monster jump out, kill monster tactic in Doom 3 wore out on me half way through the game and I have yet to beat it. Its not that I don't want to, its just I lost my game due to hard drive crash am very discourage to go through the 8 hours I already beat again.

Agreed. I remember there was a lot of hate out there for Doom 3 and I found myself to be more in the "I like it alright but I wasn't blown away by it" camp.

I never had this happen to me with another game before or since, but I had to play that game in short doseages because it would really depress me after a point.

This'll be one to watch out for nonetheless.

http://www.idsoftware.com/

Well... its been confirmed:eek:. I loved Doom3 , Although it didn't set the bar in gameplay as much as it did in graphics it was still one of the best fps's ever I think , Im eager to see what they can come up with next. Maybe they will have a event horizon scenario where you have to fight your way of a derelict spaceship, that would be awesome.

Yawn.......................Give it a rest already. Unreal Tournament seems to have run it's course now and I'm thinking maybe idsoftware should learn from them and go on to something different. The only saving grace for them would be the console users who have no idea what Doom is.

the first half of doom 3 was awesome. they did an amazing job w/ lighting and atmosphere, etc. i'm embarrased to say that when i turned off the lights and turned on the surround sound (as suggested by id) i could hardly play for more than an hour at a time. they did a great job showing how to utilize the engine for mood.

the 2nd half of the game was frankly too easy. still, i have no regrets about buying d3, but i dunno if i'm gonna buy d4, seeing as how it always demands such high specs to run.

Yawn.......................Give it a rest already. Unreal Tournament seems to have run it's course now and I'm thinking maybe idsoftware should learn from them and go on to something different. The only saving grace for them would be the console users who have no idea what Doom is.

I think you're wrong.

Doom was good, Doom 2 was good, Doom 3 was good, hrmm, See a trend here? :rolleyes:

I still think Doom 3 has a good story line and it keeps you coming back for more, not many games have this, except CoD4, but CoD4 is just pure ownage.

I'm all for another doom, they're fun and addicting. Gogogogogo!

...I'm thinking maybe idsoftware should learn from them and go on to something different.
Never heard of Rage?

Hell, I'll admit it -- I'm excited. I'm inclined to believe that id is responsive to criticism about past games, so I won't be expecting a closet-monsterfest. Rage is on my must-buy list, as is the upcoming Wolfenstein and, as of today, Doom 4. Can't wait for the tidbits to start trickling out.

I see that id isn't hiring audio leads though. Damn it!

so last time it was a super flashlight to help with frame rates on that pos
maybe this time it will be totally dark and you get a white cane.

Doom 3 was a tech demo, very little more.
I might buy Doom 4, but only after its been out and reviewed and has a downloadable demo.

I dont see a problem with this at all. I love Doom anyway so as long as gameplay and graphics keep getting better, I'll play whatever ID makes. They do quality work so keep em coming.

I'm in for Doom 4, since I liked Doom 3 very much. I own all their games and have enjoyed every one of them, especially Quake 3 for 4 years straight. ID is my favorite all time developer and they rock, period.

Can we assume this game will be released before Du** Nu*** Fo*****.....? ;D

Doom 3 was kinda meh, after a few hours you already could tell when something was going to pop out. Also all the textures looked pretty flat and had very little detail.

Doom 3 was kinda meh, after a few hours you already could tell when something was going to pop out. Also all the textures looked pretty flat and had very little detail.

What? D3 was one of the first games to come out with bump mapped textures, maybe your hardware couldn't handle it or you didn't have it enabled but for it's time I thought the textures were great.. not much out there had bump mapping yet

...I had no idea they were planning ANOTHER Doom. I personally enjoyed D3, of course it had it's problems such as being too dark or monsters stuffed in closets...
I think all the whining about being too dark was silly. Its a horror game, it is supposed to be dark. They actually got that part right. The monsters in closets was a bit over done but at the right moment its good seat jumping stuff. I will get excited about this if they do the following:

1. Update the AI. All the other complaints I've heard about D3 are silly except the brain dead AI. I would rather see better AI rather than just throwing more monsters at you.
  2. Serious graphics update. More gritty, less comic book.
  3. Put in some decisions in the game that actually effect game play. Multiple endings. That would go a long way towards keeping it from being too linear.

ID should look to what Monolith did FEAR for some ideas because right now that is the gold standard for a PC horror FPS.

What? D3 was one of the first games to come out with bump mapped textures, maybe your hardware couldn't handle it or you didn't have it enabled but for it's time I thought the textures were great.. not much out there had bump mapping yet

QFT.

Last time I played Doom 3 was on my 8800GT, Doom 3 looked beautiful on that video card.

What's wrong with the PDA? I liked the PDA lol.

Its good you could ignore the emails for the most part, and also good the lead to some secrets like if you worked out the right codes to unlock the room with the BFG in it.

I was always shit scared that they were going to put in scripted events when you pulled the PDA down from the screen and have a monster right in front of you, just like nothing ever attacked you in vents which I also expected, especially around the areas teaming in spiders.

I never really cared for Doom 3, but in the long run we saw Quake 4 and Prey use the engine a lot better than Doom 3 did.
To be honest, I'm sick of games that "push our PC's to the limit" and favor an upgrade the instant they hit the shelves. If iD can do what Valve did with HL2: EP2, I'd be pretty happy. I don't care if it doesn't look as good as it could. By the time we all have PC's that can run it well, we won't CARE about that game anymore.
Anyway, if it goes back to the roots of having a ton of monsters, open areas, and chaos - I'll be happy. If it's like Doom 3 was (open door, strafe, kill monster that jumps out, repeat) I think I'll pass. It's tough to be scared of a another imp after you've killed 100 of them.

I just hope they make multiplayer more fun than Doom 3 MP was. As far as actual frightfest, Doom 3 delivered and I'm sure Doom 4 will just as well.

Anyone else shudder to think about the hardware that Doom 4 will require? I mean I remember when Doom 3 came out.

I'll check out Doom 4 when it is released for sure. I thought Doom 3 was just ok. I was hoping Doom 3 would bring back the same atmosphere of Doom 1 & 2 with awesome creative maps and puzzles but it was really just a corridor shooter which was a bit of a disappointment. Sure they wanted to create something new and different with Doom 3 but a lot of the elements that I loved about Doom 1 & 2 were missing. The gameplay in my opinion wasnt as fun as Doom 1 & 2, it looked pretty for its time though.

I just hope they make multiplayer more fun than Doom 3 MP was. As far as actual frightfest, Doom 3 delivered and I'm sure Doom 4 will just as well.

Anyone else shudder to think about the hardware that Doom 4 will require? I mean I remember when Doom 3 came out.
only for a little while as even the vanilla 6600 could play Doom3 on high settings.

Back