Silverstone TJ07 or Lian Li V2010

YahonMaizosz

Limp Gawd
2 of the best case in the market out there right now.. (At least in my opinion :))

Which one do you prefer and why??

I am actually thinking of getting one of these case.. Really tough choice..

:)

The TJ07 is a work of art, it looks delicious. The V2010 might have the advantage for cooling and maximum expandability though.

I would have chosen TJ07 if not for its 92mm fans.. They have lower CFM and higher dB than 120mm fans, something that I am not keen of..

However, TJ07 already has built in 2x120mm fans on top while the V2010 require modding, something that I am not able to do since I don't have the tools..:)

What a life..

I would like to know aswell, im planning a new build and looking at these two cases cant decide between the two. Although i am leaning more towards the Lian li only because I saw one when i was really young and it just got me hooked.... lol not very good reason but hey...

+1 for the V2010. I have the older V2000 and its built like a tank, a aluminum on that is. ;)

Now the V2010 had clearly won the competition by a huge margin of 5 out of 3..
I am actually loving the V2010 more for its better design.. It is more up to date with recent technology (2008 vs 2006)..

I think that Silverstone should be releasing a new update pretty soon if they want to remain competitive in the market..

:)

i was in the same boat as you at one point and decided that the TJ07 was a better case...but if Lian-Li had a V2000Z, then that would have been a tougher decision, though i still think i would have chosen the TJ07. I've had my TJ07 for about a month and love it! :D

If the TJ07 had a rear 120mm fan and dust filters, i would choose it over the V2010.

But if I had to choose one at this moment in time, it would be V2010.

I'm myself strongly considering getting V2110 (2010 with door) because rather open front design Stacker (well, actually bays are full) is hard to make quiet.

Silverstone=less noise.
On the opposite.
Lian Li has more controlled airflow so it's easier to keep whole chassis cooler with lesser amount of fans. Also HDDs are hard mounted in Silverstone and to top of that sides of lower section are like sieve.
And BS-06 looks like very usefull addition for those with multiple graphic cards/many expansion cards because it keeps air moving around them and exhausts heat from that area. (that without breaking controlled airflow, like side holes tend to do)

I guess I just had bad experience with lian li cases. I had a v1000 that got scratched uber easily, felt flimsy, and also rattled alot.

I guess we can conclude the following:

TJ07:

• Pros
  • Stronger design (uni-body construction)
  • Thicker construction (4~8mm for main section, 2mm for rest)

Cons
  • Some parts are stiff
  • Poor air cooling
  • No dust filters

V2010

• Pros
  • Larger
  • 2mm all over construction
  • Better cooling
  • More drive bays

Cons

• Softer, more prone to damage aluminum

I guess we can conclude the following:

TJ07:

• Pros
  • Stronger design (uni-body construction)
  • Thicker construction (4~8mm for main section, 2mm for rest)

Cons
  • Some parts are stiff
  • Poor air cooling
  • No dust filters

V2010

• Pros
  • Larger
  • 2mm all over construction
  • Better cooling
  • More drive bays

Cons

• Softer, more prone to damage aluminum

How the hell do you figure it has poor air cooling? It certainly doesn't. And stiff? How is that a bad thing?

Seems very biased.

How the hell do you figure it has poor air cooling? It certainly doesn't. And stiff? How is that a bad thing?

Seems very biased.

It is a known fact that the TJ07 suffers from poor air cooling in the upper chamber because of the lack of an appropriate intake fan.

There have been many complaints about numerous parts of the case being too stiff, specifically the HDD cages and the removable motherboard tray. However, it should be noted that these are isolated incidents.

To Counter poor air cooling in TJ07 you can always use Scythe Karma Bay or buy those drives with fan holder from silverstone itself..

The one thing I hate about TJ07 are the 2 92mm fans.. They are noisier and pull less air compared to just 1x120mm fan... Why they did 92mm at the first place???

To Counter poor air cooling in TJ07 you can always use Scythe Karma Bay or buy those drives with fan holder from silverstone itself..

The one thing I hate about TJ07 are the 2 92mm fans.. They are noisier and pull less air compared to just 1x120mm fan... Why they did 92mm at the first place???

The only thing I can think of is that the case is setup to have a higher cfm at the top than the back so that the pressure difference of the flow would force incoming air from the back of the case downwards-this would cool the cpu, then the mb chipset, the gpu, and down into the hard drive bay to be exhausted. It's probably a way to make up for the lack of air intake from the front and to promote the circulation of air. Hope that makes sense. I'm just making a wild guess by looking at the pictures.

I could be wrong but how hard it is for Silverstone to make a new revision of the TJ7 with 120 fans and some improvements here and there?!
it’s not like they’ll have to rebuild their extremely complicated robots that builds the case parts
I guess if Silverstone was a car manufacturer they’ll keep using the same engine for 20 years before thinking of a new one :)

my vote of course goes to the TJ7, I saw this baby next to other case’s including the lili’s in real life and I’ll have to say it looked like the master of the show

It is a known fact that the TJ07 suffers from poor air cooling in the upper chamber because of the lack of an appropriate intake fan.
Now that I checked it's actually worse than if it just were without intake fans: They designed intake fans, Rear: 2 x 92mm intake fans.
Meaning whole airflow design of upper chamber is mess best described by politically incorrect word pair.

So looks good but functionality of cooling dropped through cracks of floor when they were celebrating uni-body frame. Definitely in need of serious airflow design fix and some other updates.

Why they did 92mm at the first place???
Maybe because quite a lot people think that more fans is always better no matter how complex&illogical airflow paths are and how most of airflow can go totally unutilised.
Post of lostnkonfused should visualize end result of that design philosophy well.

To avoid bad air cooling, many different and creative mods were done to the TJ07. Take this for example:

KingKong120.jpg

Yes, those are two 120mm intakes providing excellent air cooling performance.

Source: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=131626

There are many reviews on the TJ07 (google "TJ07 review") and most say it has good or great cooling. Maybe it is not the best case at air cooling, but certainly it can't be "poor," right?

Does anyone have numbers that show direct comparison of cooling performance between the two cases? I would imagine both cases are better air coolers than the majority of cases out there.

TJ07. Simply elegant and badass. For me, Silverstone seems to be better overall than Lian Li, but this is my opinion.

I have always used lain li cases and have never had a problem with them. Well built and amazing design IMO.

+1 for the Lian Li!

There are many reviews on the TJ07 (google "TJ07 review") and most say it has good or great cooling. Maybe it is not the best case at air cooling, but certainly it can't be "poor," right?

Does anyone have numbers that show direct comparison of cooling performance between the two cases? I would imagine both cases are better air coolers than the majority of cases out there.

I don't really trust reviews as they are basically "Putting sweet words" so that in the future, these companies will still supply them with products to review. I usually seek the opinion of other experienced users who actually OWN the stuffs..
I think that both the TJ07 and Lian Li V2010 need a MOD in order to accomodate good air cooling. The V2010 lacks a top chamber in my opinion..:)

The only thing I can think of is that the case is setup to have a higher cfm at the top than the back so that the pressure difference of the flow would force incoming air from the back of the case downwards-this would cool the cpu, then the mb chipset, the gpu, and down into the hard drive bay to be exhausted. It's probably a way to make up for the lack of air intake from the front and to promote the circulation of air. Hope that makes sense. I'm just making a wild guess by looking at the pictures.

Now that you mentioned it, it makes more sense to me. Still, wouldn't it be better for them to just make 1x120mm instead of 2x92mm?? The CFM would still be the same anyway PLUS it is much more QUIET..:)

I could be wrong but how hard it is for Silverstone to make a new revision of the TJ7 with 120 fans and some improvements here and there?!
it’s not like they’ll have to rebuild their extremely complicated robots that builds the case parts
I guess if Silverstone was a car manufacturer they’ll keep using the same engine for 20 years before thinking of a new one :)

my vote of course goes to the TJ7, I saw this baby next to other case’s including the lili’s in real life and I’ll have to say it looked like the master of the show

EXACTLY!! Why wouldn't Silverstone introduced a newer version of TJ07?? Do they have problems wtih their engineering team?? But still, even after 2 years of launch, TJ07 is a FINE looking case.. Very sweet in my opinion..:)

I don't really trust reviews as they are basically "Putting sweet words" so that in the future, these companies will still supply them with products to review. I usually seek the opinion of other experienced users who actually OWN the stuffs..
I think that both the TJ07 and Lian Li V2010 need a MOD in order to accomodate good air cooling. The V2010 lacks a top chamber in my opinion..:)

That's been my feeling on cases...Hardware is different as there are actual benchmarks to back up claims (although not always factual, but sites with good reps like [H] usually are). The best thing to do is go on to forums like this one and look at all the posts...usually the popular cases/brands are the better cases/brands. Yeah, you have your Lian Li/Silverstone/Antec (blech) fanbois, but there's usually a good reason why there are so many fanbois. The next best thing is to actually look at the pics of the INSIDE (not outside) of the case and let your eyes do the judging.

Anyway, the Lian Li V-series (esp the v-X100's) pretty much all have airflow issues despite their "temperate zones" that are supposed to help with keeping the case cool. The zones do help keep your case organized and partitioned nicely, but it makes cable routing a pain in the ass. Keep in mind, I've been an owner of a first-gen v1100 since the thing came out and love the case...have put three separate builds in it...though the third will be the last.

Can't really speak on silverstone stuff (never owned one), but they all look pretty quality and if I were to build an HTPC, that's the company I'd go with. The outside looks of their cases don't really do it for me, but the insides look every bit as good as a Lian Li, and in some cases better.

Go with what you like/need, inside and out, and you'll be happy...there's honestly no wrong answer here and don't listen to the "Lian Li owns Silverstone" or vise versa crap...

Forgot to add that the V-series has issues with big rectangular heat sinks like the Thermalright HR-01 and the Ultra-120. Since it's reverse ATX, there's not much room between the CPU socket and the zone divider that runs through the case. This means you'll have to orient the HSF horizontally as opposed to vertically...which means the fan blowing through the HSF doesn't blow towards the exhaust fan, but downwards to the divider... I've had this issue with 680i, NF4, and NF3 mobo's and bigger heatsinks. 90mm HSFs fit better...but you still sacrifice cooling vs a 120mm..

Forgot to add that the V-series has issues with big rectangular heat sinks like the Thermalright HR-01 and the Ultra-120. Since it's reverse ATX...
Not anymore.
Newer V1000Z and Vxx10 models have normal motherboard position instead of that graphic card cooker layout which practically lacked exhaust of warmest air.

Gotcha! Didn't really pay attention to their specs and didn't notice the layout lol. I may actually get another V-series then.

The silverstone is probably the better looking/made case. It is unfortunate that they have not done some slight modifications to the case as it would be without peer.

However if you are open to modding, you can do plenty of things with the 2010.
Top mount a quad rad , pickup the koolance fan shroud to help you accomodate thick radiators like the gtx480. And mod away to fit a pair of thermochill radiators on the bottom section, just make sure to get inspired by the tj-07 side panels to provide adequete air flow.
Use a pair of shorter power supplies so you can fit both of them.
Then finally use a 4in 3 front mounted hard drive bay with fan.

But it still won't be a tj-07 :)

Nes

The silverstone is probably the better looking/made case. It is unfortunate that they have not done some slight modifications to the case as it would be without peer.

However if you are open to modding, you can do plenty of things with the 2010.
Top mount a quad rad , pickup the koolance fan shroud to help you accomodate thick radiators like the gtx480. And mod away to fit a pair of thermochill radiators on the bottom section, just make sure to get inspired by the tj-07 side panels to provide adequete air flow.
Use a pair of shorter power supplies so you can fit both of them.
Then finally use a 4in 3 front mounted hard drive bay with fan.

But it still won't be a tj-07 :)

Nes

Touche..:)

Back