500GB 32MB cache or 640GB 16MB cache?

frizzybangs

Limp Gawd
I am debating on which one of these hard drives to get.

Western Digital 640GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB cache

I've done some searching and it seems that the WD6400AAKS seems to be better but I want to make sure especially since they are selling for roughly the same price. A lot of the forum topics and reviews were not recent so I was just wondering if the WD6400AAKS is still the better drive?

Agreed. 640 is just about the fastest drive out there at the moment, and the price is pretty good as well.

Would anyone agree that the WD 320 single platter is just as good as the 640 or is the 640 in a class all its own? I know it's not the drive the OP is asking about but just wondering if these two are similiar in data transfer.

If the 320GB drive is a single platter, then performance characteristics would be quite similar. That's what you'd need to look into, because I'm sure there exists 320GB drives that are only 2x160GB or something and you'd want to avoid those.

Would anyone agree that the WD 320 single platter is just as good as the 640 or is the 640 in a class all its own? I know it's not the drive the OP is asking about but just wondering if these two are similiar in data transfer.

I remember from a review (don't remember where, but shouldn't be hard to google it) that the 320's performance is noticeably less than that of the 640. IIRC, it was because WD specifically tuned the firmware for a little less performance in order to improve acoustics.

I think it's still pot luck whether you're getting 2x 160 or 1x 320 in WD's 320GB drives.

Another vote for the 640GB.

I don't own the drive, but I ordered 2 of them for my new computer... I'll let you know, but in the mean time, I'd probably go with the prevailing sentiment.

It seems that 32 MB is hitting the point of diminishing returns. It definately helps is some stats while benchmarking, but seems to have little effect for real life use.

I would go for the 640, even though I own a 500 gig 7200.11 that I am very happy with. Besides, you are getting an extra 140 gig for free with performance being a slight plus to the 640. It's a real slam dunk.

Don

Back