Variety Map Pack FREE for COD4 PC - Jun 5 release

the_transporter

Limp Gawd
Thanks to NVIDIA!

Variety Map Pack sponsored by NVIDIA hits PC June 5th

Great news! Heads up that the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Variety Map Pack sponsored by NVIDIA will be available worldwide for our PC players next week on June 5th!

NVIDIA is making it possible for PC players to download the map pack for Free on the PC thanks to their sponsorship. In addition, expect to see quite a few promotions popping up leading up to the launch of the map packs on the 5th and beyond. I know NVIDIA has a lot of great things planned for PC users in addition to maps becoming available.

There’s going to be some PC specific previews going up online this weekend I believe that will cover how well the maps play on the PC version as well as some contests and promotions happening all next week. I’ll be posting up details on them as they get started all this week!

The Variety Map Pack includes four new maps for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer including Broadcast, Chinatown, Killhouse, and Creek.

In addition to the map pack hitting, PC Players will be receiving the 1.6 Patch for the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare that will add support for the new maps, fix a server crash exploit recently reported by the community, and a few additional features / bug fixes. I will post a full patch notes list next week.

http://iamfourzerotwo.com/2008/05/30/variety-map-pack-sponsored-by-nvidia-hits-pc-june-5th/

Oh hell ya! That's nice that not only we're getting the maps that were released for the console edition, we're getting three more maps and patch!

Finally, I guess they realized we'd never pay money for something like a map pack.

Kind of shows how greedy Activision/Infinity Ward is, though. If they didn't have somebody sponsoring, the map pack probably would have never been released--for free, at least.

Awesome!!!

{edit}

Now that I think about, I think the maps would of been free for the pc anyways and by doing this Infinity Ward is saving face in the fact that the console players had to pay when the pc players dont.

Awesome!!!

{edit}

Now that I think about, I think the maps would of been free for the pc anyways and by doing this Infinity Ward is saving face in the fact that the console players had to pay when the pc players dont.

Thinking about it, I actually agree.

I cannot wait to try ChinaTown since I loved Carentan so much.

Kind of shows how greedy Activision/Infinity Ward is, though. If they didn't have somebody sponsoring, the map pack probably would have never been released--for free, at least.

Yeah, they would. They were always coming out - they were just released for the consoles first because free everyone charges for content on Live. If they could do the same at the cost of a load of stupid PC users bleating for a while until it was released on the PC, they could.

I know if I was head of an acclaimed PC game development team, I'd gladly rinse the console players. The 'sponsorship' is just a tactic to avoid a similar backlash from the console players - that way, they lose no sales on any platform.

Imo, ads/sponsorships are the way to go for DLC. The devs still get their money, we still get our free content, and nVidia still gets to sell us new graphics hardware.

it would have been free later. Seems like all map packs on consoles become free after 6 months time.

Sweet cant wait.

I agree, Carentan on COD1 was pretty badass.

FWIW, map packs are extremely expensive to make. The amount of time and resources required to design a great map is really undervalued.

FWIW, map packs are extremely expensive to make. The amount of time and resources required to design a great map is really undervalued.

Shouldn't be a problem with the ridiculous amount of profit they make from selling $60 copies of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure a blockbuster hit like CoD4 makes a ton of profit.

Great! I love custom maps, but it's also nice to see new ones from the developers.

Valve has had to rely on third party support for content hosting for Steam. Originally they were helped by ATi, but now Nvidia is helping out due to Steam's growing popularity and the popularity of the Geforce cards.

It's nice that the hardware makers are assisting developers and publishers while stimulating and ensuring the gaming experience, which makes the purchase of video cards worth it.

I actually kinda respect IW for doing this. All the idiot console kids will throw money at anything. PC Gamers sure as hell wont and they're smart enough to know it.

I've been wanting more maps for CoD 4 for quite some time so I don't even mind having nVidias dick in my mouth while I play them.

Valve has had to rely on third party support for content hosting for Steam. Originally they were helped by ATi, but now Nvidia is helping out due to Steam's growing popularity and the popularity of the Geforce cards.

It's nice that the hardware makers are assisting developers and publishers while stimulating and ensuring the gaming experience, which makes the purchase of video cards worth it.

Well, ATI only "helped" them (I wouldn't use the term help really), because Valve games are pretty much the ONLY games that have ATI's logo as if their cards run Valve's games better. Unfortunately for ATI, their cards are beat by every NVIDIA offering, even in Valve's games.

Club SLI members check your email!!!

COD4 1.6 new maps!

ss_cod4_1.6_01.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_02.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_04.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_05.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_06.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_07.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_08.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_09.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_10.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_11.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_12.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_13.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_14.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_15.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_16.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_17.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_18.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_19.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_20.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_21.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_22.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_23.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_24.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_25.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_26.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_27.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_28.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_29.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_30.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_31.jpg

ss_cod4_1.6_32.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem with the ridiculous amount of profit they make from selling $60 copies of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure a blockbuster hit like CoD4 makes a ton of profit.

he was being sarcastic. heck give me a map editor or the sdk tools for cod4 and i will make one of those maps in a week

Imo, I don't much care whether IF could have given us the map pack for free w/out the nVidia sponsorship. I'm actually a little happier they did it in tandem w/the sponsorship b/c that should set a precedent for other companies to ensure the PC gets free DLC.

So...in 26 minutes, there were over 169 THOUSAND downloads of this patch from Fileshack.

there are BAD maps out there but there are some great cod4 maps out there i have been playing on the maniaxe2 extreme server and they have a great rotation of maps i'll look for the server addy later and post here

there are BAD maps out there but there are some great cod4 maps out there i have been playing on the maniaxe2 extreme server and they have a great rotation of maps i'll look for the server addy later and post here

hi can you post please? cheers

why are new maps such a big deal, are there like no community made custom maps in CoD4 like in Tf2/CS:S?

why are new maps such a big deal, are there like no community made custom maps in CoD4 like in Tf2/CS:S?

There are lots of community maps for TF2 and many of them are excellent, but Valve maps get more rotation across more servers and generally tend to have an element of polish that custom maps lack (they don't always lack that polish- just a lot do, and that's k 'cause I know why, but still). But there are some really good community maps I've come across for TF2- they just don't really compare to Gold Rush though (then again, not much does- actually, I'm hard-pressed to think of a single other FPS map that I have played as much as Gold Rush or so willingly gravitated towards...).

Back