Fake Yate Loon Fans?

shuotime

n00b
I ran across a thread about fake Yate Loons on another site, but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with getting fake Yate Loon fans from online resellers?

Jab-tech.com and a couple of other sites were noted in particular for not having legitimate Yate Loons (supposedly the fake ones have a "high-pitched whine"), while Petra's Tech Shop was said to have legitimate fans guaranteed.

Just wanted to know what the real deal was before I go ahead and buy some of these famous fans.

I ordered from jab-tech got loud fans that clicked and were noisy.

I ordered from petras and get silent fans. So go for petras if u want good fans.

I bought from Jab-tech, and have no problem with my 3 Yates.

No whine, and they run silent on fan controllers.

Unless something has changed recently, Petra's is the only place that orders directly from Yate Loon. It's often unknown where some of the other sites get their product from. That obviously doesn't mean that everyone else sells fakes, but that can lead to questions about authenticity.

Petra is the only place I know of selling the fans with curved blades. Notice the trailing edge of the Xoxide units blades is nearly straight. Like Nick_Leo experienced, my high speed fan from JT clicks, though the orange low speed is fine likely because it was built in '05. I've not tried the black low speeds from JT yet (saved for a case I'm going to work on soon).

I certainly see a difference. The trailing edge of the Xoxide Yates is appears to be less curved than the Petra's item. I've illustrated it so maybe it's easier to see.

looks like that has more to do with the angle of the shot of each fan
Well, here's actually a better image of one of the "suspect" Yates from Jab-Tech, and you can definitely see how straight the trailing edges are even though the angle still isn't as close to straight-on as the Petra's photo.

I did a pretty extensive reading about the authenticity of the yate loons at J-T, and in that forum a j-t rep was disputing about its authenticity and that designs change during production. Pretty sure j-t sells the real yate loons. As for those who got loud or clicking fans, it may be due to shipping damages or just a manufacturing defect. Considering these are cheap $4-5 fans; dont expect the quality control to be so great. Anyways the j-t guy on the forum dispute also uploaded an invoice showing direct order/shipment from the yate-loon factory in china, so petra's not the only one dealing with yate-loon directly.

are these quieter than my antec tricool because the low setting is good but the mid/high is a little louder than id want

Wait, so the fans at Jab-tech are (could be) fake ? I just noticed when I fired up my comp today that one of my Yate Loons is loud as hell at 100%. Turned it down to 60% and it makes a irritating whine. :eek:

BTW, I have two of these.

Wait, so the fans at Jab-tech are (could be) fake ? I just noticed when I fired up my comp today that one of my Yate Loons is loud as hell at 100%. Turned it down to 60% and it makes a irritating whine. :eek:

under-volting certain fans can cause a whining noise. But the ones in question about its authenticity are the low speed black fans

Phew, lucky I bought the orange/black Yates' from Jab Tech then, they work perfect. Quiet and moves much more air than my stock Lian Li fans.

Who the hell would bother to try to "fake" a computer fan brand name, jeeze all 3000 of us that world wide would care or know. It would probably cost more to come up with the fake hub labels than you could make of selling a cheap fan for a YL, YL;s are not that expensive anyway. Fake a EBM or Pabst or Panasonic if you wanna make money. Selling a $4 fan for a $4.25 fan x 1000 to a distributor is not worth anyones time. Or not. It just does not seem likely to me and there is absolutely no proof and you guys are just keeping BS alive. YL it seems to me, would be all over someone selling other fans under their name in what is comparatively a very competitive small market.

So I call BS, some me some proof even not very good proof. not some look at the fan in this picture. Measure some stuff, take it apart, etc. etc.

Sounds like a bad batch or they outsourced some manuf or coolchu001 is exactly right.

YL's are known (at least to me) as cheap fans that perform well and are reasonably quiet. They are not a premium product.

All 6 of my yate loon from Petra make wining noise at 60%. they need at least 65% to be quite.

One of the 6 of the petra's fan is not balanced so it is louder than all others.

Personally. I think it's quality control issue. J-T might have gotten a bad production run order and petra didn't.

They are both very highly noted reputable dealers and I doubt they would compromise their reputation on selling "FAKE" products.

So the black/orange and all-orange YLs from J-T work well? I'll probably get one of each to see how they stack up against each other.

I agree that it's probably a quality control issue, but what about the issue of 9 blades vs. 7? That seems like a full-blown counterfeiting problem.

Actually I just found out the whining noise was because of the Rocketfish's front grill. I had to put a half an inch of spacing between it and the fan to lower the threshold.

But I'm glad that these counterfeit copies do not affect me. ;)

Did anyone else notice that the Yate Loon in the Thermaltake PSU review posted today had the straighter trailing edges as opposed to the curvy ones? There's definitely a difference between the Yates being sold by different vendors, that's certain, but it's seeming less likely a counterfeiting operation than outsourced manufacturing/QC.

I just got my 3 yate loons SL from j-t. First time ordering yate loon fans from anyone. They are not as pictured, they have a skinnier motor holder (like the petra's picture) with a 803 (2008 march) model number. They were all very quiet at 12v, however one had a slightly pitched whine, but not noticeable 5 feet away... I'm pretty satisfied with these fans as they are only $3 + shipping.

Back