Enable AA in Mass Effect

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
Since the game doesnt ship with AA support you have to enable it yourself.

First download a nice free app called Nhancer from http://www.nhancer.com/

Run the program and create a new profile. Add masseffect.exe and masseffectlauncher.exe to the executables list.

On the settings panel click enhancements and enable antialiasing. Choose whichever settings you'd like. Next click the compatibility tab and check the 'antialiasing compatability' box. From the drop down list choose '00000145: AA & HDR'.

Run the game and enjoy the smooth lines :D

Works with every other UT3 engine game too with a little tweaking of the settings.

Even though mine looks crisp in 1920x1200 ill try it too..does anybody know a remedy for the tearing issue in widescreen?

"Antialiasing Support: UT3 uses a technique called Deferred Lighting, which doesn't allow for the use of normal Anti-Aliasing, at least in DX9 mode. Epic has stated that when running in DX10 mode in Vista, the game will allow the use of AA in the future. For the moment there are two ways to force Anti-Aliasing in the game:

# If you run a GeForce 8 series card you can force AA through the Nvidia Forceware Control Panel using the UT3 game profile in the latest Forceware, or rename the UT3.exe file found under the \Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ directory to BioShock.exe, and use the BioShock profile.
# You can apply a brute force method called Supersampling - which works on pretty much any game - using a utility such as nHancer to set 'AA Compatibility mode 45' for the game profile. This is not recommended, as it has a major performance impact and can also cause visual glitches.
A better alternative to either of the above is simply to adjust your Post Processing setting to something like Vivid, which helps cover up aliasing extremely well at a minimal cost in performance."

I've never tried it myself. So how big of a performance hit is it? Any GFX issues?

Since the game doesnt ship with AA support you have to enable it yourself.

First download a nice free app called Nhancer from http://www.nhancer.com/

Run the program and create a new profile. Add masseffect.exe and masseffectlauncher.exe to the executables list.

On the settings panel click enhancements and enable antialiasing. Choose whichever settings you'd like. Next click the compatibility tab and check the 'antialiasing compatability' box. From the drop down list choose '00000145: AA & HDR'.

Run the game and enjoy the smooth lines :D

Works with every other UT3 engine game too with a little tweaking of the settings.

Cool, I'll give this a go this evening.

"Antialiasing Support: UT3 uses a technique called Deferred Lighting, which doesn't allow for the use of normal Anti-Aliasing, at least in DX9 mode. Epic has stated that when running in DX10 mode in Vista, the game will allow the use of AA in the future. For the moment there are two ways to force Anti-Aliasing in the game:

# If you run a GeForce 8 series card you can force AA through the Nvidia Forceware Control Panel using the UT3 game profile in the latest Forceware, or rename the UT3.exe file found under the \Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ directory to BioShock.exe, and use the BioShock profile.
# You can apply a brute force method called Supersampling - which works on pretty much any game - using a utility such as nHancer to set 'AA Compatibility mode 45' for the game profile. This is not recommended, as it has a major performance impact and can also cause visual glitches.
A better alternative to either of the above is simply to adjust your Post Processing setting to something like Vivid, which helps cover up aliasing extremely well at a minimal cost in performance."

I've never tried it myself. So how big of a performance hit is it? Any GFX issues?

As I expected forcing AA in this game doesn't really work that great for me.

Yes I get graphical glitches with that program or in the Nvidia Control Panel. Same thing happened in R6 Vegas 2 when I tried to force it. There's a big performance hit for me, shadows look weird on people's faces, and in the case of R6V2 textures would pop in and out.

As I expected forcing AA in this game doesn't really work that great for me.

Yes I get graphical glitches with that program or in the Nvidia Control Panel. Same thing happened in R6 Vegas 2 when I tried to force it. There's a big performance hit for me, shadows look weird on people's faces, and in the case of R6V2 textures would pop in and out.

True, R6V2 would crash with AA enabled in the Nvidia CP. Graphics would also disappear randomly. I guess the Unreal 3 engine games that don't have the option to enable AA in the game menu should be left alone

Back