Problems with SPDIF passthrough on Vista x64

Hello
I have a bGears b-Enspirer sound card and just upgraded to Vista 64. On my old XP I was able to have the card passthrough audio via SPDIF to my receiver which was able to detect and decode AC3/DTS for example.

Now, with Vista 64 - I do not seem to be able to do this. There is an SPDIF out option which shows:
PCM
Dolby Live
DTS Interavtive
SPDIF Loopback

When I select PCM then the SPDIF passthrough does not seem to work (my receiver does not detect Dolby AC3 or DTS for example). The Dolby Live and DTS interactive options simply convert the input to Dolby/DTS which is not what I want. I want a direct passthrough from the source to the receiver.

Have others had this problem with Vista??
Thanks

Hi,

I had this issue with Creative X-fi and SPDIF out as well on Vista 64bit.

What eventually worked for me is this.

Download Ac3filter from the internet.

configure it for spdif passthrough. click on the SPDIF tab and in the spdif options on the right hand side make sure only "detect SPDIF stream in PCM data" is ticked.

In Vista control panel and sound, set SPDIF as your default device. Make sure when you go into properties of the SPDIF that the following things are ticked under supported formats tab.

DTS audio
Dolby digital

44.1 Khz
48.0 Khz
88.2 Khz
96.0 Khz

Now whatever player you use make sure to set it up to output over SPDIF and not speakers.

I use Media player classic for music and for movies. I use PowerDVD for Bluray and HD movies.

this will not work for games, you will only get 2 channel PCM, you have to set it back to speakers in the vista sound panel to get 5.1 audio from games.

I was ages trying to get this to work and this was the only consistent way for me.

Hey thank you so much!!

This works great...except that it doesn't switch automatically between speakers and spdif.

Thanks again....

You should be using FFDShow, not AC3filter. AC3filter is useless these days. Also, some media players (like Media Player Classic) will decode AC3/DTS and some other stuff without using Directshow filters by default, so either set the player to S/PDIF passthrough or disable the internal decoders. FFDShow can be set to S/PDIF passthrough too.

You should be using FFDShow, not AC3filter. AC3filter is useless these days. Also, some media players (like Media Player Classic) will decode AC3/DTS and some other stuff without using Directshow filters by default, so either set the player to S/PDIF passthrough or disable the internal decoders. FFDShow can be set to S/PDIF passthrough too.

Really? Why is Ac3filter useless?

I always thought it was preferred to FFDshow....

but why would you need anything more? All He wants is too pass the music and movies to his reciever to decode the audio. Ac3filter is the simplest way to do this.

Mattchapman, yeah there is no way to automatically switch between SPDIF and speakers. I just leave the sound panel open all the time and then it's just one click of a mouse button to switch!!

Back