USB Smart Button hack?

MisterSkills

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

They gave a bunch of us at work something called a Smart Button.

Bassicly, it is a USB powered button connected to your computer. When you press on it, it opens up pre-defined website. I'd like to be able to change the website it loads. This would be great for pranks over here. I have no clue how to do it, anyone has any ideas?

Here is more info on the Smart button

http://www.branders.com/s/Promotional-USB---USB-Powered-Smart-Button-71164.html

Here is a video of one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM5IlxzGQGc

Thanks

Just curious if you found a solution yet... I've searched the web and haven't seen a hack for it yet. I was thinking it was probably burned in but don't know how to check when the device is plugged in. :confused:

well it seems obvious that it's just a macro... only thing to do would be to look for a macro editor for the stoopid button

It appears as if there is no software installed locally, so it has to be a chip in the button. If you can find a way to program that chip, then you have yourself a prank item.

I agree with the macro, but that macro is programmed into that chip that passes those keypresses through (win+r>enter>www.somesite.com>enter)

The SmartButton uses an encore keyboard chip. If you download the PDF it will tell you everything you need to know. This will require you to purchase a PSoc programmer. Here is the link to purchase the Cypress PSoC Eval kit that includes everything you will need. I am in the process of ordering one and hacking my SmartButton. Keep in touch and let me know about your projects.
L8r

I was given a SmartButton on Friday last week. When I opened up the case there was a small black blob which I assume is the Cypres device mentioned above. However next to this is located a 24C02 serial EEProm chip made by Atmel.

When I read this device (in circuit) using a suitable I2C program I got the hex dump shown below...

FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0B 17 17 13 02 33 54 54 1A 1A 1A 37 08 16 16 08
1B 37 0A 12 19 37 18 0E 38 13 18 05 0F 0C 06 17
15 04 11 16 13 12 15 17 28 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

My device was setup to go to www.essex.gov.uk/publictransport . Compairing this with the above data I deduced that:-

1A 1A 1A 37 08 16 16 08 1B 37 0A 12 19 37 18 0E 38 13 18 05 0F 0C 06 17 15 04 11 16 13 12 15 17

is

w w w . e s s e x . g o v . u k / p u b l i c t r a n s p o r t

It would appear that the device under the black blob simply reads the EEProm memory sequentially and sends this to the computer once it has opened up the "start/run" box. I modified the data to that shown below and my button now opens up different web site.

w w w . f f o c . c o . u k /
1A 1A 1A 37 09 09 12 06 37 06 12 37 18 0E 38 28

The data before the www is a little inconsistant so I left this untouched. Mapping the letters to hex give us the values shown below.

a=04 b=05 c=06 d=07 e=08 f=09 g=0A h=0B i=0C j=0D k=0E l=0F m=10 n=11 o=12 p=13 q=14 r=15 s=16 t=17 u=18 v=19 w=1A x=1B y=1C z=1D
:=33 .=37 /=38

I believe that the hex string should be terminated with eof=28. The SDA and SCL connections are available on pads next to the EEProm chip.

I hope this helps..Happy hacking.

Steve.

In addition to the above I would assume that you could get the button to do other things such as run programs etc as all it's doing is sending text to the computer. I have had a re think also and have come to the conclusion that the 28 hex value could possibly be the same as clicking OK or pressing enter key?

I like the idea of programming something into the device and leaving it on a desk to see who is the first to pick it up and plug it into their computer to see what it does!!! Shame "NetSend" is now blocked at my works location.....

The possibilities are endless...... :)

I have written replacement firmware for the USB Smart Buttons that use the Cypress CY7C63803 Micro Controller. You can read about it on My Blog and download the replacement firmware for free.

Enjoy
:D

Back