Samsung F1 1TB unreliable?

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I made a pretty amateur mistake: I bought something without doing any research behind it. I noticed the high platter density and low cost so I bought a samsung F1 1TB drive. Worked just fine out of the box, no errors during formatting. It's FAST and it's QUIET. I was pleased enough to let the thought pass through my mind that I don't really need to get a Velociraptor after all.

However I decided to see exactly how it compares to the VR and while searching online I found that there's an extremely high failure rate for these drives. My local computer store has a 7-day return policy so I'm wondering if I should just return the drive pre-emptively rather than possibly losing data.

So I'm wondering if perhaps the reliability of these drives has improved since they were first released - anybody know?

you wouldn't lose data anyway because you can just restore from a backup.

I'm not sure how different they are, but I have 750GB spinpoints in raid5 that are in use 24/7 (torrenting), and have had no issues with them.

there is probably a 1-5 year manufacturer warranty as well, so don't worry too much

and the Samsung F1 drives are touted as one of the best TB drives... so I doubt that there are that many failure problems

The failures are happening on nVidia based chipset boards.
Thanks! That's very useful information.

there is probably a 1-5 year manufacturer warranty as well, so don't worry too much

and the Samsung F1 drives are touted as one of the best TB drives... so I doubt that there are that many failure problems
They are indeed fast, quiet, light, and cheap. But Newegg's customer reviews are very polar. It's either "this drive is awesome" or "I bought 6 drives and 5 failed within two weeks, stay away!"

But if the issues are primarily with nvidia chipsets I should be fine, hopefully.

Anybody want to recommend some decent imaging software? I've actually got an Acronis True Image boot disc lying around, but it doesn't seem to work with USB mouse and keyboard :rolleyes:

Any hard drive reviews from Newegg should be completely ignored. Not taken with a grain of salt - just flat out tossed. They are less than worthless, as better than 80% of the "failed in X weeks" are due to Newegg's still uncorrected abysmal-at-best shipping of drives.

Back