790i Ultra issues with OCZ DDR3-1600 platinum

Arnette

n00b
Hey guys.

I've recently built my new system and have had absolutely nothing but problems with my RAM from the get go.

I'm using the 4gb kit of OCZ3P16004GK RAM, on an EVGA 790i Ultra motherboard.
The ram is rated for 7-7-7-24 timings at 1600 mhz @ 1.9V, but i have not been able to achieve anywhere close to this.
In fact, i can't get the ram to run stable at any voltage/timing/speed combination. I've basically tried everything. I have talked to OCZ and they've given me some different voltages to put my Nforce SPP at, but it has made no difference.

I've also taken out each module individually and tested them, but they do the same thing. Theyll lock up either right when vista loads up, or a few minutes afterward once i start playing a game or something.

I am planning to run memtest tomorrow while i'm at work, cause it takes a long time :p.
But i have this grim feeling inside of me that its a compatibility issue with my motherboard, and im gonna get screwed over somehow..
I really hope they'll do something for me though.. I don't want to see 300 some odd dollars go right down the toilet.

Has anyone else had similar problems? or has any input? It'd be greatly appreciated.

I have the same RAM and an Asus Striker II Extreme. I had to volt my memory manually.

And i tried a memtest.. but it wont even stay stable long enough to complete it, it just locks up

Any update man? I'm also having some lockup problems with this RAM on an ASUS Maximus Extreme w/Q9300.

I know with the XFX 790i that timing memory below 8 on stock bios is a no go, maybe something similar here? (Feel like a broken record lately, been telling everyone this detail.)

What you could do is adjust timings 1 slower than stock. Do a memtest. I've found it errors immediately when I've had any problem right away, so no waiting for me. Then try below and at stock speeds with memtests for each. Keep making changes and memtest after everyone. Again, I never have had to go for more than 2-3% of the test to find errors if it is wrong.

If you've not updated your bios, I suggest you do. Avoid NTune off of stock CD (if you have it)...get the latest version online if you must use it. On my XFX I still need to change from stock bios, but have been busy lately.

Its a known issue that OCZ DDR1600 is crap on reference-790i, get some Viper Patriot or Mushkin as they are better for this board.
Can´t run mine over 1333 on 7-7-7-20 no matter what voltage i put on them any longer time and they like 1.85-1.875 the best but not 1600MHz+.
Have some 2x2GB Mushkin XP3-12800 on the way to solve this issue as i dont know of any way to get OCZ to work good on the board and i know these one does.
Read on EVGA forum and you find out the truth about the incompability with OCZ DDR1600, EB:s or not.

Well the only trouble I had with my OCZ DDR3-1600 has been the timings being unable to drop below 8. My voltage is 1.90. Running at 1600MHz with 4GHz on the processor and stock bios. Nvidia has left me concerned with updating my bios as I keep hearing folks having trouble OC'ing afterwards. So...I'm happy with 8 timing until majority claims one of the current bios versions is the end all be all.

What is "EB:s or not?"

Hey, you're running quad on that board...it is my understanding that with quad and DDR3 you have no choice but to relax your timing or things get borked.

Are you guys all trying to run 1T or something? I have had 0 problems with this RAM on an eVGA 790i.

Well the only trouble I had with my OCZ DDR3-1600 has been the timings being unable to drop below 8. My voltage is 1.90. Running at 1600MHz with 4GHz on the processor and stock bios. Nvidia has left me concerned with updating my bios as I keep hearing folks having trouble OC'ing afterwards. So...I'm happy with 8 timing until majority claims one of the current bios versions is the end all be all.

What is "EB:s or not?"

Hey, you're running quad on that board...it is my understanding that with quad and DDR3 you have no choice but to relax your timing or things get borked.
EB:s are the "Enhanced Bandwith" version of this memory with timings of 7-6-6-20 vs. the normal 7-7-7-20. Originaly intended for some ASUS boards to inprove bandwith but runs on any board exept 790i.
But that does not matter mutch as OCZ and Gskill has higher compabilityfailurerate than others, if that is due to popularity or not does not matter much as for me the Mushkin XP3-12800 did the trick OCZ failed to do.
Dropping timings to crappy 8-x-x-xx is not a solution in my opinion as this memory is good for 1600Mhz @ 7-7-7 even if it is rated @7-6-6 and if it not do that then it is time to ditch crappy OCZ in favor for memory that is more liked by the 790i.
I do like the latest P06 more than earlier as the the v-core is more accurat and by swaping out the crappy OCZ to Mushkin XP3-12800 my last problem is gone with the wind.
There is no point in having the older and potentionally corruptionBIOS than the latest that in my opinion is by far the best.

Back