DoubleSight DS-263N Screen Door Effect!?!

Hello all,

I just received my replacement monitor directly from the DoubleSight support team a day ago to replace the screen they originally sent me. The original screen had a defect in the lower left hand corner of the screen (five or six shifted pixels) and also a stuck red pixel in the upper left corner. The support team is excellent and very easy to work with. I spoke with Carlos, nice guy.

Anyway, after I setup my new replacement (mind you which had no defects or dead/stuck pixels) I noticed that the screen wasn't right. It suffers from the "screen door effect" even my father who knows nothing about LCD tech said something about it. Very weird, its as if this isn't even the same panel.

I'm using the DVI-D port with the provided cable. I even swapped out cables and used the DVI-I port with no changes at all. Running native res.

Judging from all the posts on the original DS-263N thread I'm beginning to believe that the DoubleSight team has some serious Q/A issues with this panel.

My original monitor was without the polarizer as it suffered from the white glow which I know is prominent with IPS panels - really didn't bother me much. My replacement most definitely has the polarizer on it, as from slight angles I can see the red and green hues.

I'm at a loss here, I'm about to throw in the towel and send this one back for a full refund.
Anyone have anything I could try, test?

So I would assume this is the next batch of the 26inch monitor from Doublesight. which kinda
worries me! That the new batch won't be as good as the sold out batch.. Hopefully this is just
a isolated incident.

"The next batch". Lets hope this is an isolated incident. Others should watch out for this, as mine is suffering from the screen door effect like something fierce. No doubt about it.

This should be something others should look out for when they get their panels.

Image 4B flickers for me.

Actually 4A only flickers when I scroll down to a certain part of the page but 4B always flickers.

Ah I see. I guess this new batch of the 26" DS-263N, or at least mine suffers from the screen door effect. I will be sending this one back its pretty bad. The original one I had did NOT have this. I would actually take a dead pixel or two over this new one. I'm pretty sickened and aggravated. This is unacceptable.

Umm, why are we assuming you got one from the new batch? It could easily be an old refurb with the polarizer; who knows where it came from. Stuff sent from the technical support side of a company is often completely separate from "new" stuff sent to reseller channels.

All LCDs have SDE. It is part of the technology. Are you saying the dark space between pixels is more visible than on the previous one. This would imply a different panel. Maybe it is not even IPS.

Participator said:
Judging from all the posts on the original DS-263N thread I'm beginning to believe that the DoubleSight team has some serious Q/A issues with this panel.
It's not DoubleSight that has QA issues with the panel. It's LG. That's why I recommend the NEC 2490 over the 2690. Something's not quite right with the 25.5" panels.

When you say screen door effect, do you mean faint horizontal lines? I've seen those on the NEC 2690 too. The strength of the lines varies from panel to panel.

This is what pisses me off. LG has crappy manufacturing quality, but they're the only ones mass-producing IPS panels for LCD monitors, so you have no choice if you want an IPS panel. I never see quality control problems like this with Samsung panels, but I can't stand S-PVA panels.

I saw no such lines on my 2690, but I believe the problem exists. People in the Westy 24" thread were complaining of the same screen door phenomenon in one corner of the screen. Just sounds like you got a defective panel.

There are QA issues with every panel and every backlight... yay LCD.

This is for sure a panel from the new batch. I spoke with Carlos and he assured me that when the new batch of monitors comes in he will be in touch with me to setup the RMA process. Week and a half later I get an email from him to get the RMA process setup.

Yes, I can see the white lines in between pixel rows. This was not present in my old panel AT ALL. I called up the support team to tell them about this. Thing is - the screen door effect on this thing is bad even from 20" plus back viewing this thing.

So this very well may be a new panel.

Well hopefully this is just an isolated incident . I ordered up 2 of these monitors.
Im abit worried now , but i guess worse case senario i sent em back.

It's not a new panel. I've been complaining about the lines since the NEC 2690 came out, but everyone else insisted theirs didn't have the lines. Since then, I've had it replaced, and I've tried the Planar and DoubleSight monitors, and they all had the lines. That's one of the ways I can tell they all have the same panel. IanM also confirmed that the Hazro HZ26W has the lines.

Like I said, the strength of the lines varies from panel to panel, anywhere from barely visible to very noticeable. Most people don't seem to notice the lines if they're barely visible, but I'm very sensitive to the lines. I have yet to see this panel without the lines. Chances are your old one had the lines, but they were faint enough that you didn't notice them. This is an LG manufacturing problem, but nothing is being done about it because nobody seems to notice the problem even exists. Luckily, the ones with very noticeable lines seem to be rare, so maybe getting a replacement will take care of the issue. Hopefully, it doesn't affect an entire batch.

I agree with ToastyX,

It doesn't bother me, but using Toasty's test image, I noticed that my LCD2690WuXi-BK has it as well. It is a panel characteristic. I would rate mine as hard to notice.

The Westy screen door effect is different, as it is not just horizontal lines, but vertical as well. In this case it only affects the top right side of the panel.

This affects the LM26UW01 panel pretty much on every installation. I don't think the lack of A-TW polarizer makes a difference either from what I've heard.

Regards,

10e

If in fact this is an isolated issue and each panel varies from slightly viewable to very noticeable (like mine) then I will be requesting a new panel...again. I just cannot and will not deal with it. I'm very detailed orientated and cant ignore this like one or two dead pixels. Its like any screen image thats displayed isn't crisp or sharp, rather its blocky and pixelated. More so prevalent with brighter colored images and textures.

I agree with you rez and thanks for the linkage on the 2690. My monitor suffers from that pretty badly and that is what I am seeing coming from my new replacement from DoubleSight. Thing is, is that from normal viewing distances and every viewing angle my new monitor suffers from this "effect" and its pretty bad. I'm requesting a new one ASAP and as I write this I have yet to hear back from the DoubleSight engineer team - I called in yesterday about this.

I will keep you all posted.

Back