What happens when you leave a WC Setup running for 2-3 years...

mussafry89

Weaksauce
Ever since i built my PC 2-3 years ago (2005), i NEVER did anything to maintain it. And then i left my country to go to university, and since im back for a bit for vacation. I decided to actually clean it, and WOW i was surprised!

Lol, what a waste. I had 2x 7800GTX but i messed one up, thanks to the WC. and i never bothered using the GPU block, what a waste of a card and 2x GPU blocks :p

And if you are wondering what all the brown stuff in the system is, i THINK its because of this: (Not entirely sure.)

Could it be battery acid? I dont know!

So i had to drain the system, and i decided just to throw away the whole WC setup.

How disgusting!

Oh man, the heater core was such a **** pain to remove. I dont know how the hell i set up it in the first place, and i was 15 years old at the time!

So finally i removed everything out of the case and im gonna hose it down when i have time tomorrow:

and finally, good bye watercooling. and hello stock heatsink!

if you will get rid of them, then ive got dibs on the cpu block, gpu block, and pump!

i know there junk now, but really good for a project i might do LOL!

Sent ya a pm

(and i now know what NOT to do with a WC setup lol)

LOL I had two WCed systems that I got rid of in the last 6 months or so... both looked very similar. I had thrown some chemicals in the water and maybe that helped out my system... the tubing looked horrible it was turning yellow but otherwise the water itself didn't look look that bad. But yea everything was ghetto rigged together and I just tossed the entire setup.

That doesn't happen to people who don't put fucking batteries into their watercooling system. Buy a friggin clamp.

Sorry. Looks like you brought that on yourself, or whoever put that battery in there.

My last WC system run for almost 4 years and the only thing that was nasty was the generic home depot tubing, which had gotten hard and yellowed. The fluid was still clear and there was no corrosion to speak of on the blocks.

That doesn't happen to people who don't put fucking batteries into their watercooling system. Buy a friggin clamp.

Sorry. Looks like you brought that on yourself, or whoever put that battery in there.

My last WC system run for almost 4 years and the only thing that was nasty was the generic home depot tubing, which had gotten hard and yellowed. The fluid was still clear and there was no corrosion to speak of on the blocks.

Yep yep, I have one +5 years. 100% agree.

OP:

I see a lot of dust and probably the DUMBEST thing in the world to use for a hose cap. I will bet it would cool just fine just the way it was and a good cleaning would restore all of it to like new condition. That heatercore is a cooling beast, real shame. Pump is plastic with ceramic bearing, most likely 100% good. It's your stuff and you do what you want.

But it frosts my ass to have someone stick a battery in water for two years and then blame the system technology when the water turns to crap. Ok, you were 15, minor slack, you still should have known better and while entertaining in some respects I am not sure what the point of this post was. (well "dont use a battery to plug a hose" came through pretty well but I dont think that is a widespread issue. )

Yep yep, I have one +5 years. 100% agree.

OP:

I see a lot of dust and probably the DUMBEST thing in the world to use for a hose cap. I will bet it would cool just fine just the way it was and a good cleaning would restore all of it to like new condition. That heatercore is a cooling beast, real shame. Pump is plastic with ceramic bearing, most likely 100% good. It's your stuff and you do what you want.

But it frosts my ass to have someone stick a battery in water for two years and then blame the system technology when the water turns to crap. Ok, you were 15, minor slack, you still should have known better and while entertaining in some respects I am not sure what the point of this post was. (well "dont use a battery to plug a hose" came through pretty well but I dont think that is a widespread issue. )

I don't see anywhere where he was blaming the system. In fact he said this is what happens when you don't take of your shit. So he was blaming himself.

why would you stick a battery in the loop? I don't understand at all that decision..

Well, 3 years ago, apparently everyone was doing it. And since i live on the other side of the world (Middle East) i didnt see that there was a reason to order a T-Line clamp that costs 5$ and pay 50-80$ shipping for it. And when i asked, every1 said use anything, a battery works fine. So i did :p

oh, you plugged the end of a t-line with a battery...

hmm.... thats interesting...

I don't see anywhere where he was blaming the system. In fact he said this is what happens when you don't take of your shit. So he was blaming himself.

Very unfortunate thead title in that case. Something along the lines of "Look at the silly thing I did" would be much better.

Well, 3 years ago, apparently everyone was doing it. And since i live on the other side of the world (Middle East) i didnt see that there was a reason to order a T-Line clamp that costs 5$ and pay 50-80$ shipping for it. And when i asked, every1 said use anything, a battery works fine. So i did :p

Now that you mention it I believe I have seen that too way back when. Well I have had my share of doing silly things too. I guess your title set me off a little bit as it implies stuff like this happens to normal systems. Really, most of that stuff can be cleaned and be good as new, thats a $80 pump ! Glad you posted just so no one else gets the idea. LOL find a stick of wood on the ground and break it off in the hose before using a battery.

I don't think I'd ever seen someone stick a battery into tubing to seal it like that until this thread. Not really sure where "everyone was doing it" comes from, and I've been watercooling since 2000.

I had 2x 7800GTX but i messed one up, thanks to the WC
Based your level of responsibility showcased in this thread, I don't think it was the WCs fault.
And seriously... using a AA to plug the hose because 'everyone said to'? 15 years old or not, there should be at least something that goes off in your head that says 'wait a minute...'

OK, so we're not all blessed with logic, but I'm sorry, you can't post this and expect people to just laugh.

You might want to work on owning up to your actions. And taking care of hardware.

Holy hell, I thought the clouding I was getting after a month or so was bad. JEESH!

You might want to work on owning up to your actions. And taking care of hardware.

I don't see anywhere in his post where he was blaming anyone but himself for what happened. He did own up to his actions...

all i saw were a bunch of excuses.
sorry, just hate to see hardware go to waste just from negligence/bad ideas

all i saw were a bunch of excuses.
sorry, just hate to see hardware go to waste just from negligence/bad ideas

as it turns out it's his money/hardware. you should just leave it at that... if you don't have anything nice to say dont' say anything at all.

yeah I saw that battery and was like

".... sacrifical anode?"

for a split second I thought you might have been on to something, then that was wiped quickly away with

"am I retarded?"

I've seen it mentioned before by someone to use a battery for a plug. That never seemed like a good idea to me, heh.

I have never seen it mentioned to use a battery as a plug.

Anyway, my loop has only been topped off here and there when it is needed with 10% antifreeze/water for 3 years now. I have no problems in my loop whatsoever and i have never flushed it or changed it.

I think the battery totally screwed everything.

I'm not so much concerned about the battery, I'm more concerned about the amount of dust that has accumulated inside of that thing.

Jesus man, you have virtually clouds being formed in there.

That's hilarious! Kinda, hehe, so what's your new system gonna be?

P.S. I too don't understand why some people are going apeshit in this thread.

That is nasty :) Imagine all that crap you breathe in :)

hey guys he says he was away in another country.. so basically unattended maintanence = results.

Id imagine same shit would happen too if i left the country for a year or 2 and left my computer for family or whoever to use without attention to dust it out every now and then.

Hahah when i had a t-line, i too almost came to using a AA battery to seal it.. but thought "wait... batterys and water dont mix".. I eventually would use a car wheel stud that i had laying in my room lol. *yah thats metal too, not really good either but i would always check it out etc*

Alot of the parts where probably salvagable too.. but having a system like that at 15.. pretty sure it was very disposible as far as cash

That's hilarious! Kinda, hehe, so what's your new system gonna be?

P.S. I too don't understand why some people are going apeshit in this thread.

I too dont understand! Lol, I know the thread title put some people off, but i didnt mean it like that. I never took care of it, and never intended to. And since i went to University since last 2 years, and since electricity is free in my country. The computer was running 24/7, and since no1 in the house knows anything about computers i couldnt let anyone just open it and clean it. Im just showing what i found when i came back for the summer. Again, im not blaming any1 else except myself :S And i never intended to make any1 angry -_- Wtf?!

My new system, which im building here in the USA. Saves me so much money, overall i paid $1000 just to ship that PC back in 2005 :O:O:O

New System Specs:

Q9450 Quad Core
2x2b G.Skill ram
280GTX
2x 640GB WD AAKS hard Drives
Still undedcided mobo (Might be P5Q Deluxe P45, but i am thinking of SLi down the line)
PC-P80 case.
\
and i will most likely be watercooling in the future :O

Hehe found old pictures:

And this is when i first decided to go with a T-Line because my Res cracked :O

Another Edit:

Here people suggesting to use a AA Battery:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=246215&highlight=T-line - This was in 2007 o_O

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=185323&highlight=T-line - back in 2005

So my choices were... Pay about 100$ or so for a T-Line fillport online, and go to the sotre and buy a >1$ battery. Which would you chose?

And if you are wondering what all the brown stuff in the system is, i THINK its because of this: (Not entirely sure.)

Could it be battery acid? I dont know!
Oh man, that made my day lol :eek:
A freaking battery, who would have thought haha

Wow, time to go clean my pc...or I'll just wait it out a little longer =P

Wow... some people get upset easily! This was being listed for the entertainment value of seeing 2 years worth of dust and an unmaintained WC system. No need to get all fiery.

Also, in one of those shots you can see some nasty hair mixed with all the dust. Yuck!

Back