280 GTX on PCIe 1.0

BloodyIron

2[H]4U
Yeah, the title says most of it.

What kind of a performance bottleneck will a 16x PCIe 1.0 slot have over 2.0 for the 280 GTX's? (same everything else really).

Can we perhaps get this benchmarked?

excellent point, most of the reviews are showing the card on a new board, i have a p5b deluxe and i think it has pcie 1.....maybe its time to upgrade my board:D

Ya i really wish someone would test this. I still have a 680i, and i really dont wanna have to buy a new board just to get the most out of the 280.

If you can afford the 280, you can afford a new mobo :)

For PCI-E V1 users, I'd think the GTX280 is better suited than dual-GPU cards like the GX2.

For PCI-E V1 users, I'd think the GTX280 is better suited than dual-GPU cards like the GX2.

That's a really asinine assumption. Just because we CAN afford to pay out on our graphics card does not mean we can afford to go from a 680i -> 7(8/9)0i.

Original MSRP of the 680i was about $250, the 780i is $250, and the 790i is $350.

TCO: $1000, worth the mobo upgrade? We're not sure, that's why I ask.

Actually thats somewhat backwards. Buying the gtx280 is stretching the budget already. Man i wish it had come in at the 500 they were rumoring.

i cant believe people still ask these stupid questions about pci-e 2.0.

there will be little to no change in performance.

Just because everyone is not an EINSTEIN or a GENIUS as yourself, doesn't mean that his question is a stupid one.

How much does it cost you to simply reply with this: "there will be little to no change in performance" and perhaps post a link to an article which clearly explains why, instead of making yourself look like an idiot?

Just because everyone is not an EINSTEIN or a GENIUS as yourself, doesn't mean that his question is a stupid one.

How much does it cost you to simply reply with this: "there will be little to no change in performance" and perhaps post a link to an article which clearly explains why, instead of making yourself look like an idiot?

idiot....way to fail with choice of words

it doesn't take an "Einstein" to use the search button

While there have been articles in the past showing SOME examples of the impact between PCIe 1.0 and 2.0 on specific cards, this does not mean it is relevant to current graphics cards (IE: 280 GTX).

We have no idea how much of the potential bandwidth the card is ACTUALLY using. Thus, the easiest and most reliable method of proving the kind of impact is through empirical analysis and example.

I for one would like to see such testing done in future and/or current reviews of graphics cards. At least for the next little while (year or two?), or perhaps until AGP graphics cards stop being manufactured.

I would like to see some testing on P35 mobo. I'm sure the review sites like this one have one available. I'm just asking for game test like Crysis to see if there is any loss in performance.

idiot....way to fail with choice of words

it doesn't take an "Einstein" to use the search button

Whats the difference?? Why not just answer a simple question that you know?? You could also say there is also a search function on this forum where you can search for previous threads about pci-e backwards compatibility.

this question comes up a lot. usually no difference but using the 280 or gx2 at 1920x1200 or higher, there WILL be a difference. pci-e 1.1 will bottleneck you. i know from experience. especially when ocing my gx2. i play crysis; all settings on high, very high shaders. using gpu bench with those settings, my gpu was stuck at 31-32fps. switching to a board with pci-e 2.0, i get around 38-39fps when oc'ed. tomshardware also has a decent write up on this.

Back